1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony RDR-GX3

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by thursty, Feb 23, 2005.

1. thursty

thursty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    recently purchased RDR-GX3 as I needed an all region DVD player only to discover that it doesn't actually play DVD's from all regions !!

I have purchased a couple of DVD's from the USA that are DVD-Video format Region 1 and these are not playable !

So other than going back to Sony and have an argument about product descriptions can anybody advise how to get round this ?

I understand that you can recode DVD players to take off any region restrictions ? If this is an option whats the best method ?

Failing that can anyone recommend a cheap player that will play Region 1 DVD-Video ?

Many thanks

2. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Most shops offer a firmware update that will allow multi-region playback. The sony you mention is a DVD recorder, quite a good one at that as I have one in another system and the playback quality is good. Otherwise there are loadsa budget players to choose from which are multi-region.

3. banjo21

banjo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    search on my posts - me and others have listed a remote hack for this at least twice

4. thursty

thursty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have found the post that describes the hack using an all for 1 remote.

Unfortunatley I dont have one ...the remote I use is that Sony remote that came with the player. Is there a hack instruction for that device ?

Alternatively if someone can recommend a site where I can purchase a fimrware upgrade that would be good, I dont mind paying a few quid to get over the problem.