Sony rdr-gx3

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bluesfan, Aug 19, 2004.

1. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If anyone is looking for a simple dvd recorder without HD I can recommend. Quality is second to none, menus easy to use. Only a few left as Sony new models soon.

Having sent back Philips dvd80 and Pioneer 420 I should know as I'm fussy.

Got mine in black from Germany £250.

2. jonjonjon

jonjonjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Other posts on this model have suggested that although the picture quality is impressive, the fan can be quite noisey.

What's your opinion? With the TV off and standing about 2 metres away what's the noise like?

3. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All fans are noisy whatever people say. Slightly bigger fan more hum than whine.
    I thought the fan was less noisy than the Pioneer 420 but then that it combined with the HD.

I am considering fitting a fanmate but up to now isn't too bad and I sit 3ft away.

4. AlanDL

AlanDL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got GX3, to replace my Philips 880 (I know!); had changed it for a Philips D70 (my transitional machine before a new HDD/DVDR Digital, probably next gen Toshiba), but took this back quickly when Sony's came down in price. Can use all my many +RW discs, but can now buy new -RW discs ready for new machine. Sony can act as a secondary recorder then.

Fan noise minimal; I sit close to it, and no difference from Philips (if not less!).

Only thing I miss is 2h:30min rec mode which I had on Philips, and can't edit anything on +RW; and -RW VR mode is not compatible with portable player or any other players I have, so basically lost editing capability if using on other machines. But I can live with that. Sony feels a much better quality machine. Heartily recommend it; although I have had it only a couple of days!

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,919
    If you have a PC then why not follow the VR to DVD-R conversion guide found here. If you don't already have one PC DVD burners can be picked up from £50.

Depending on how long you spend on menus etc the conversion can take just minutes of your time (and maybe an hour of processing/burning on your PC). On the other hand if you become a menu/chapter point perfectionist then it can take hours ;)

6. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a Plexor 708a on my pc. It supports both +rw and -rw.
    The editing issue is no big deal; to be honest I haven't the time to take out adverts.
    Design wise it's the best looking dvd recorder about (esp in blk). Ugly Panasonic take a lesson.

7. AlanDL

AlanDL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Rasczak; the only error you make is responding to me as if I was anything other than cheap! All the recordings I would use on a portable are going to be temporary recordings, so wouldn't waste -R on that! Thanks for tip though. I have simple requirements really; best thing is the quality of the recordings from Sky rather than any other editing requirements.

Also thanks for all your comments to everyone; extremely illuminating, (I don't know where you get the time, you need to watch more TV like me),
    especially on next generation HDD/digital recorders; I think I might skip the Sony (appears they have just one an award) and wait for the Toshiba next year.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,919
    It works with DVD-RW, DVD+RW and DVD+R too ;) but I get your point.

9. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Can you make the gx3 multi region,just bought one.
    As for fan noise,hardly noticable tbh.

10. denson

denson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The fan noise on the Sony is not noticeable...build quality and picture quality as well as ease of use are all A+. I will highly recommend it, especially as the price is plummeting due to the release of the new model. I am in the process of making mine multi region. Will keep you posted. It is supposed to be a simple remote control hack.

11. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    am looking too,cheers.

12. Hyp3rion

Hyp3rion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have the rdr gx3, nice machine. The fan is audiable but you only notice it when you turn the tv off for bed ;)
    I got mine chipped almost straight away from DvD codes , they sent a hacked remote along with a prepaid recorded delivery slip so you can send the remote back afterwards :clap:

13. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    So how does that work then?

14. Hyp3rion

Hyp3rion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They send you a preprogrammed remote, you point and push the red button, machine goes beep, send remote back :cool:

15. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    A bit concerned about how safe it is though,i'd rather sony did it for me.