Sony RDR-GX3 vs. GX300

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by michaelab, Sep 27, 2004.

1. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    What are the main differences? The only one of any significance I can make out is that the GX300 has prog. scan on its component out where the GX3 doesn't. Anything else?

I can get GX3 today whereas I'd have to wait a week or so to get a GX300 and I don't know if I can wait that long....

Michael.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    The GX300 is the updated version of the GX3. The core changes are:
    - Restyled case
    - Progressive scan
    - DVD+R recording
    - Timeslip on DVD-RW (2x media)

3. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks Rasczak. I think I'll go for the GX3 then. I prefer the older case, I don't need prog. scan, I never use +R and I'm not that fussed about timeslip.

btw, you may (or may not) remember me from a while ago as a vocal supporter of Philips DVDR machines but after giving them the benefit of the doubt I've now lost it with them. My DVDR890 was repaired 3 times in 18 months for the same problem (not reading commercial DVDs) and on the 3rd occasion they replaced the entire optical drive for an updated one that was supposed to fix the problem for good. Well, the repair lasted longer than the others (nearly a year) but now it's failed again in exactly the same way. I've had enough, which is why I'm looking for a replacement.

As a warning to others, avoid Philips DVDR machines. They simply are not reliable. Even the latest generation seem to be having worringly similar issues.

Michael.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Sorry to hear that.

5. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I went for the GX300. A local Sony store had both and the GX300 was cheaper (430 Euros instead of 450 for the GX3). OK, so it doesn't look quite as sexy but IMO it's always better to get the later model. Who knows, I might even use time-slip recording one of these days!

So far so good. Watched a few epidodes of Spooks Season 2 and was very impressed. The general impression is of a much better product than the Philips DVDR 890.

Also, the looks of the GX300 are starting to grow on me...... :)

Michael.