Sony RDR-GX3 Syncro Record

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Hodman, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Hodman

Hodman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Listen to this ......
    I decided to record Die Hard 2 on ITV2 using Syncro record on my Sony GX3.
    This meant setting the timer on my Pioneer TF100 STB and allow the Sony GX3 to record when receiving a signal to AV3 scart socket.

The next day I settled down to watch the recording.
    All seemed great ..... until the recording ended .... half way through!

Reason? because ITV2 scheduled a break to broadcast a 'Movies Report'.
    This meant that the Pioneer timer only scheduled the recording up to that point ..... and no further.

When the movie resumed ..... the timer didn't!
    Not Sony's fault but ....

Darn!

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,901
    That is annoying. It also links in with my biggest concern for the DVD recorders of the immediate future - that of setting the Timer by using the Freeview EPG.

Certainly the dawn of the Freeview EPG is a good thing - and it's integration into DVD recorders is long overdue. Being able to select the programme in the menu and have it automatically recorded will be great. But how many machine will allow the user to set a personnel buffer time before/after the menu start/stops times? Most Timers on current Freeview boxes do not allow this. Take the Sony ones for example: excellent EPG support is ruined by no buffer times making it useless for recording whole programmes without the start/end chopped off.

All in all we want intelligent timers as opposed to dumb by the numbers ones: otherwise problems such as these will be all too common in the next few years :(