1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony RDR GX210

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ShortNick, Mar 24, 2005.

1. ShortNick

ShortNick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Anyone got one of these yet? Thinking of taking the DVD Recorder plunge and this caught my eye, rather than the GX300?

2. llanellijack

llanellijack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cant go wrong for less than 200 notes. Very tempting.

3. Brigadeer

Brigadeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got one of these last week and it had picture problems with rgb in/out, so went back to the supplier :thumbsdow .

4. chappies

chappies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Just got on of these too. Think I may have the same problem - distortion on rgb scart signal from a sky+ box when passed through. Doesn't want to play discs on scart rgb either.
    Anyone else had this?

5. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Not sounding good as I've just got one too and the picture appears to be ghosting when pumped through RGB.
    When in the Sky program guide the whites run and some times the blue area is darker in some parts than others.

Also tried a DVD (Return of the King) and every time the picture has something bright in it the black bars top or bottom (depending were the bright source is in the picture) turn gray!

Having already returned a bad Liteon 5006, have I bought yet another turkey?
    Starting to think that I'm not going to get a DVD Recorder after all.

Oh! the reason I've tried both the Liteon and now the Sony is that I need a coaxial digital audio out just incase someone says get a Pany!

Edit: I'd like to add that the player also doesn't autoswitch when it gets a widescreen signal passed to it from the Sky box! Funnily enough when it records the same signal it is recorded in widescreen and plays back in wide too? That's with all the setting set to 16:9! Very strange?!?!?!
    I also tried it late last night through a none RGB scart on the TV and the picture looks awsome. Now if they could just get RGB to work they might be onto a winner with this player :smashin:

6. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Update - Got a phone call from Superfi (were I bought the player) and they will collect it on Monday to test it out. They say it's the first machine they know of that's had this problem and that they contacted Sony and they were also unaware of this fault.

I'll let you all know how it goes.
    Just like to say big thanks to Superfi for the top class customer service so far. It's nice knowing that I seem to be in safe hands.

7. Noodles

Noodles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad I found this thread as I was just about to order a 210 but now I think I'll wait to hear more on this potential RGB issue. Apart from that, have you had chance to test out the variable bitrate recording feature yet ?

8. wiz

wiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,721
    no probs on mine so far, only had a cople of days though. I like it so far!

:clap:

9. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    You using it with RGB? If so then it's sounds like maybe there has just been a bad batch of them and as usual with AV kit I end up with one of them :suicide:

10. Shedhead

Shedhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine has the same probalems as reported above. I spoke to Sony cusotmer services this afternoon who said they weren't aware of any issues with the model.

I directed the chap onto this forum to prove I wasn't the only one!
    He said that it could just be a bad batch and advised I send mine back for a replacement.

I bought it form amazon who are sending me a new one - but I've a feeling it may have the same problem....

Cheers

11. wiz

wiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,721
    anyone know how to make 'em region free yet??

12. The Englishman

The Englishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought an Hitachi DVRX7000 for £235 from NexNix and so far, apart from the fact that it will not play Region 1 and it is a little noisy in operation, the pic and sound , playing through a Yamaha 750 and NEC 42VR5 are great - John

13. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Getting a new unit sent to me from Superfi (thanks guy's) so I'll wait and see if this unit's any better than the first one.

Fingers & toes crossed ;)

14. wiz

wiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,721
    Bought mine from amazon, ok so far :thumbsup:

15. wiz

wiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,721
    using RGB as well great pic!

16. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Well, I hope the new unit I'm getting will solve the problems I was having with RGB :thumbsup:

17. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    New unit arrived and is just as bad with RGB as the first unit :(
    Back onto Superfi for another replacement :rolleyes:
    Maybe this time I'll get one that works ;)

18. chappies

chappies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Good Luck. I'm now using the non RGB scart out of a Sky+ box into the GX210 and the S-video out of GX210 to a Panny plasma.( Then have RGB on scart out of Sky+ to go direct to Panny.) Not ideal but I'm living with it until they get these duffers out of the system. Then I'll get it changed.

Got mine from QED by the way.

19. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Got a call from Superfi today. They were in contact with Sony Technical and it would appear that this is a problem with ALL GX210's that Sony is working on fixing.
    It's a problem with the RGB pass through and a mod should appear some time to fix the problem.

Anyone that says they have it working with RGB pass through hasn't got it set up right as it doesn't work, so say Sony, on any of these players.
    I've just tried recording from Sky+ via RGB out and connected the gx210 to my TV into a none RGB scart socket and the picture is perfect.

Played back the recording on my standalone player in RGB and it looks great. So it would seem that the problem only appears when you output RGB from the gx210. It's recording RGB fine.

I'm hopeful that it won't take long before a fix appears as I've told Superfi that I'd rather hold onto this player as it does almost everything I need at present except RGB passthrough and auto switching widescreen when Sky is passed through it.

Like chappies, I've set mine up with Video out from Sky+ into gx210 then TV out of Sky+ into my RGB scart on the TV. It'll do for now until the fix comes along. Now I'll get onto archiving all my old videos :D

20. Shedhead

Shedhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My second unit has arrived form Amazon and it still has the same problems (depsite Amazon claiming they tested it and it was ok..). Typical!

A 'mod' to fix the problem is mentioned above. Bieng a bit new to dvd recorders please can someone expalin what a mod is? Will it involve opening the unit up to solder the mod in? (Don't suppose it will be as simple as putting in a 'special disc' to solve it??!) :)

In any case I'm goping to send mine back for a refund. One of the reasons I went for this unit was for the I-Link for recording from my camera - but using I-Link you can't record the date and time of your footage! The whole point of this recorder for me was to record my baby son (who was born on Sunday!) and the date is vital as he grows up. Can't belive that this is not possible with a feature specifically for cameras.

21. apj30

apj30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For those of you able to get refunds, see if you can get your hands on the RDR-GX700. Discontinued in favour of the GX210, even though it was only launched in September / October last year.

Almost identical functionality to the GX210, I can vouch that composite, S-video and RGB all up-convert perfectly to Component output (needs to be turned on).

RGB passthrough also works perfectly, can be in standby mode for this.

Picked up mine from a local Sony Centre, can also be hacked using a Oneforall remote to make it multiregion.

Andy

22. amirnet

amirnet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    like others i'm returning my sony to the web retailer. the rgb input is terrible. sony seem to be saying there may be a bad batch but this may just be a cover for sony to rectify a major manufacturing gaff.

23. wiz

wiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,721
    Sorry guys ( Sound of humble pie being eaten)

Not using pass through. My TV pass plenty of scarts, so going direct to TV from recorder

Ossie :oops:

24. Bloomsburybill

Bloomsburybill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As with so many other people, I have had great problems with this machine, and it is going to have to go back.

When an RGB input is connected to line 3, the quality of the signal coming out of line 1 (to a TV) is degraded to 'composite video' quality. This is true in all situations, as follows.

1. If the RGB signal is looped through the machine (into line 3 scart, out of line 1 scart) in standby mode, the outcoming signal is degraded. Curiously enough, if an S-video signal is looped through, again using scart cables, there is no degradation of the picture. Not surprisingly, if the RGB signal is looped through another piece of equipment (an ancient Ferguson VHS recorder that I happen to have lying around), using exactly the same cables, then there is no degradation of the signal.

2. With the same connections to the GX210 as above, if the machine is now turned on, and line 3 selected, the signal is still degraded.

3. If the machine is then turned off again, the signal is initially VERY degraded, with a dark background and smearing of the whole picture to the right, and then settles back to composite video quality after a couple of seconds.

4. If the signal is then recorded onto DVD, then not surprisingly it is still poor quality when it is played back, even if a high bit rate is used in the recording.

Although I assumed that the setting of the output selector on the back could not have any influence over this, I did in any case try it with the output set either to RGB or component video. As expected, this makes no difference.

This problem arises whether the RGB source is a Humax PVR 8000T (using the RGB signal out of the 'TV' scart which is the only one that it RGB enabled), or a Thomson Sky Digibox DSI 4101. The same problem arises regardless of which channels are being viewed.

25. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Good in depth info m8. I'll have to give it all another go when I get some time as I didn't have any issue when recording to it via RGB from Sky+ and had no problems at all when recording a VHS tape to it.
    Only problems I've had is with RGB passthrough and with the RGB output from the player.

If I get time I'll try and record some RGB channel hoping on Sky tonight as the problem with RGB really shows up on mine when the banner is up on screen. The last RGB test I did was 10mins of a CSI episode I have on hd and it looked good.

26. chappies

chappies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Having messed about some more with my GX210 the basic characteristics on pass through seem to be:

Composite quality only when switched on and input set to line 3

The smearing effect appearing when switched to standby

Composite quality only on DVD playback through scart

I am using a syncblaster scart cable into the computer input of the TV but since others are having the same issues I guess that's not making it worse - never been a problem with it hooked up to anything else anyway.

I phoned Sony customer services yesterday and was told they were not aware of any issues, (it must depend on who you speak to there). I referred them to this and other sites and told them the GX210 is getting some bad web press so they might want to look into it.

27. amirnet

amirnet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've just contacted sony customer services also to note the fault with this machine. hope others do the same. getting a bit of hassle from the web retailer with my product return. they say they can't see anything wrong. for some reason i expected them to say that. will keep badgering them to try and get the matter resolved. :mad:

28. chappies

chappies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Have you got an authorised Sony repair place anywhere near you? As I understand it they will get a replacement direct from Sony if necessary. I'm going to take mine there (I have one close by luckily) rather than send back to web retailer as I've had difficulties getting faults acknowledged in the past.

29. Bloomsburybill

Bloomsburybill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This thread has become dominated by the RGB problem. If this could be fixed, then how does the machine measure up? Many things are very pretty, and Sony is usually rather a reassuring brand name, but I think that there are some basics that they do not get right here.

1. The customer service people cannot tell me whether this machine is even supposed to loop an RGB signal through in standby. Given that line 3 is supposed to accept RGB in, and line 1 is supposed to accept RGB out, one might have assumed that the loop-through (with the machine in standby) would be possible, but who knows?

2. Most people get a DVD recorder in order to record from digital TV. In the case of the GX210, this would have to be an external source, as the internal tuner is analogue. I want to be able to select the programme for recording in the EPG in my freeview or Sky box, turn that external source to standby (so that it comes on again when the programme starts), and then put the DVD recorder into a mode so that it starts recording when the external source turns on. This way, there is no fiddling with the timer in the DVD recorder, all you have to do is make sure that you have set the recording length correctly. Regrettably, the GX210 cannot do this (unlike the competitors from Pioneer and JVC).

3. A very minor gripe is the lack of variable bit-rate recording. If you can't fit your recording into 2 hours, then the next bit-rate is for 4 hours. I haven't really examined the drop in quality carefully, but presumably there is quite a difference. I would like to be able to set 1.5 hours, or 2.5 hours, or whatever I like between 1 and 6 hours (again, as Pioneer and JVC machines allow).

4. The editing of DVD-RWs is not quite all that it might be. When you try to chop a segment out (using A-B delete or just by marking with chapter marks), it is extremely difficult to pause the programme at exactly the point where you want the edit to start. So, for example, when you try to insert a chapter mark at one point, carefully edging forward or backwards to exactly the frame that you want, you discover that the mark has been inserted nearly a second earlier than where you thought you had put it. If you are using A-B delete, setting points A and B is beset by the same difficulty. Then there is no preview feature to enable you to see what the two joined ends will look like when they run together.

5. Finally, other manufacturers need to catch on to the idea of a 'Navigation Library' (to use JVC's terminology) that enables the machine to remember all of the recordings that you have made, so that you can search through them on-screen, by genre if you like, and then when you have decided what you want to see, the machine will tell you what number disk to load.

So what machine would I buy instead? I am kind of committed to DVD-RW as I have purchased a lot of these and recorded quite a few films already that I want to be able to see again. The Pioneer DVR 320 has just been discontinued, and had the disadvantage that there was no component video out (so no progressive scan). The JVC DR-M10 got all of these things right, with the small problem that the machine didn't work. After 3 failed attempts at repair, mine went back for good. See about a million postings on the 'loading' problem in various forums. Possibly the JVC DR-M100 will have solved this problem, when it comes out in about June, and if so it might be the front-runner, at least until the next round of Pioneer machines appear later in the year. In spite of it all, I think that if Sony get the RGB problem fixed, this machine is not a bad choice at the moment. It plays commercial DVDs beautifully!

30. amirnet

amirnet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i hadn't thought of that. thanks :smashin: . the web retailer says they'll send me another machine so i'll see how i get on. i've actually asked them for the equivalalent panasonic machine but they may send the sony again because, they say, "sony have not acknowledged the fault" and they're sending me a replacement machine on the grounds of good customer relations. fair enough but i think retailers are waiting for sony to contact them rather than vice versa. so if it is the sony again and if it's the same fault i'll definately take it along to an authorised sony repair centre. i live just outside glasgow so there should be one somewhere.