• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony RDR-GX210 recording VHS tape

Borodin

Standard Member
Can anyone help please... I have a Sony RDR-GX210 DVD recorder and need to convert VHS tapes to DVD. I have been using the red yellow and white connectors from my VHS player to the 'input line 4' on my Sony. I have set the recording mode to SP (127 mins) and can see the tape playing. I press record then press it again so it goes up in intervals until it reaches 1hr 59 mins. Everything is fine until after about 38 mins the recording light goes out and the recording stops. I have tried just pressing 'record' which the manual tells me will cause the machine to record until the disc is full but again the recording stops after 38 mins. Is it becuase I am not connecting via a scart lead ??? Can anyone advise me how to convert a VHS tape using this machine...(The reason I ask is because I have a video tape of my late father and want to have it on DVD..the only other alternative is to have it done professionally but I would love to be able to do it myself)
Thanks for any help you can give....

Gavtech

Administrator
Can anyone help please... I have a Sony RDR-GX210 DVD recorder and need to convert VHS tapes to DVD. I have been using the red yellow and white connectors from my VHS player to the 'input line 4' on my Sony. I have set the recording mode to SP (127 mins) and can see the tape playing. I press record then press it again so it goes up in intervals until it reaches 1hr 59 mins. Everything is fine until after about 38 mins the recording light goes out and the recording stops. I have tried just pressing 'record' which the manual tells me will cause the machine to record until the disc is full but again the recording stops after 38 mins. Is it becuase I am not connecting via a scart lead ??? Can anyone advise me how to convert a VHS tape using this machine...(The reason I ask is because I have a video tape of my late father and want to have it on DVD..the only other alternative is to have it done professionally but I would love to be able to do it myself)
Thanks for any help you can give....

Welcome to the forum.

Have you examined the tape at this 38 minute point?

The likelihood is that there is a break in the programme material at that point, thus no synchronising pulses will be coming off the tape. The recorder will probably detect this and cease recording.

If there is such a break, you may find you can start recording again if such a point is passed.
It would mean the material would be as two separate titles but given the importance of the material, this may not matter.

Borodin

Standard Member
Many thanks for your prompt response. I have been looking on the internet and I believe that what I should be doing is connecting via a scart lead from the blue socket on the dvd recorder and the video out socket on the VCR. the Sony picks this up as 'line 3' and from there the recording settings available via the remote should work. Tired now so will try in the morning...your response was much appreciated but there is no apparent problem with the tape at the 38 minute point...

Gavtech

Administrator
Many thanks for your prompt response. I have been looking on the internet and I believe that what I should be doing is connecting via a scart lead from the blue socket on the dvd recorder and the video out socket on the VCR. the Sony picks this up as 'line 3' and from there the recording settings available via the remote should work. Tired now so will try in the morning...your response was much appreciated but there is no apparent problem with the tape at the 38 minute point...

Another possibility is that there is some residual anti-copycode from a previous recording at this point on the tape ..which could also cause a stop.

I do not believe that connecting by scart can possibly make any difference ... unless only an automatic form of recording is available via the AV4 input... The internal switching will merely switch the same input lines to pins via a a scart rather than the front inputs - So I cannot see it having any impact. [ Only 3 pins of the scart would be used when fed from a VCR, the same as the 3 connections used in the Line 4 connection ]

But good luck.
Do also try setting a recording away after that 38 minute point to see if it will 'accept' it.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom