1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony RDR-GX210 Media Issue

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stevecc, Jul 18, 2005.

1. stevecc

stevecc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if anybody can help me....this may be a simple question with a simple answer.....

I have recently purchased a Sony RDR-GX210 DVD Recorder, and the media I have purchased with it (4x speed) is no good. The Sony hand book is saying that it will only support 2.4x media.

I have heard that you can get firmware upgrades for the DVD Recorder to enable it to use the 4x media, however cannot seem to find it on the web....

Any idea's? Other than going out and buying 2.4x media?

2. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried the discs? My GX210 says it can use any disc 4x or slower (as of Feb 2005) even though it will only record at max speed of 2x (that is the HQ setting which doubles the data rate for recordings compared to normal mode (1 hr as opposed to 2)).
    I am waiting for my insurance company to replace my Philips DVDR75 as I really like the easy editing features and almost frame by frame accuracy. Sony is around 25 frames (1 sec, how bad is that?) Also there is no 2.5 hr or 3 hr modes, 2.5 being very useful for master recordings before editing and dubbing.
    It's not a bad machine but for the price (£249 from Curry's) there are better ones there.

3. stevecc

stevecc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK Thanks for that.
    I have another couple of issues.....as you use the same model wonder if you can help.

I did my first recording from SKY this evening and:

1) picture quality from Sky via dvd is pretty bad;
    2) On playback of the recording, the image appears to be incomplete, and jumping from frame to frame....it looks like it is moving very slowly...there does not appear to be any sound either?

Can you help with above?

4. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have sky but I do have a freeview decoder, a Sony one, and when I record some programmes, not all, the picture can be a bit blocky since I am recording a digitally compressed signal which is being recorded with digital compression. Not good. The reason, I think, is that the digital signal is coded to analogue to feed the scart connectors and then recoded to digital for recording. Now only if they did a box with a digital signal out so I could use the DV in connector, no loss of signal. Nice. Also I hope that there is a significant improvement in compression technology before the analogue switch off in a few years time. Digital isn't always the best option in my opinion. I hate artifacts. :thumbsdow

5. stevecc

stevecc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that.

It sounds like my issue is that my DVD Recorder is attached to Sky and TV (for purposes of receiving signal for recording only) via standard RF Cables. This is mainly due to the fact that my DVD Recorder is on my seperates stack which is "on the other side" of our fireplace to the TV, and as such I dont have the space to make these connections via thicker scart leads - from a cable management perspective. I assume that this is a big issue for recording?

Maybe I should return the DVD Recorder to sit with the TV, and use SCART connections - would this improve things?

The main reason DVD is on seperates stack is due to lack of space where TV sits - only enough room for TV and one other unit - which is where Sky+ box sits. May have to look at this.....

Using DV/I.Link with my Sony HandyCAM to record onto DVD works great!

Sounds like I will have to do some research on this.....

6. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scart to Scart is the best way for a convenient to use set-up but you should really use separate cables where possible ie digital audio and rgb/svhs video. I have all my separates in a custom built rack and all connections for dubbing etc via the best cables possible. I would recommend that RF leads are not used at all except for direct feeds to each separate recording device. I have a four way aerial amplifier for my VHS, DVHS,DVD recorder decks and my freeview box. There is only one pass through for RF for the VHS machine and that is really only to feed the tv if I am recording several things at once, as all outputs go into my amp and that feeds my tv via composite video and SVHS cables. It can get complicated, you should see the spaghetti behind my rack.

7. stevecc

stevecc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your help on this....I am pretty new to seperates, to will see what I can do (my next door neigbour works for a audio cable company so I maywell ask him to see what he can get for me.

8. vickylin

vickylin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've also bought a GX210 too, Can I ask you guys what brand of media are you using? I'm looking for discs to record TV programmes for my mates oversea. I need cheap discs if possible as they will only watch it once or twice and dispose it.

9. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using Bulkpaq DVD+R for archival purposes and Philips or Hewlett Packard DVD+RW for mastering, edit ad's out then archive. Get them from ebuyer or similar, around £5 for 25 discs on a spindle.