1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony RDR GX 210

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Player Multiregion Hacks' started by papabear, May 28, 2005.

1. papabear

papabear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello to all,
    Just got myself a Sony RDR GX210 Recorder and was wondering if anybody knew how to Multiregion it.

I have a friend that works in a Sony Centre but he doesn't Know Is the Anyone out there that can help me

papabear :lease:

2. Justin@UH

Justin@UH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93

Sorry to say that unlike other sony recorders, this is based on a LG, and if it wasn`t bought pre-modded from the dealer, it can only be modded by a firmware mod disc. A quick google search for a RDR-GX210 Mod disc should help you out.

3. papabear

papabear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks justin
    don't suppose you know if the rdrhx510 is the same or not?

4. Justin@UH

Justin@UH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    RDRHX510 is a new sony design, and currently no upgrade due to different firmware versions:( If you are asking if the GX210 mod would also work on the HX510, the answers no, as the 210 is LG OEM, whereas the HX510 is "genuine" Sony.

Hope that makes sense!

5. papabear

papabear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oem ?????????

6. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hey Papabear here is what you want. It works on mine perfectly.
    Go here and download the file called: Sony AVD-LS10.ZIP

Extract and burn to CD-R with SCARLET as the main directory on the disk. Turn the DVD-player on, put in disk and select region 0 when asked and press ENTER, now your GX210 is region free.

Have fun

7. JAMIN

JAMIN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody know if the problem with the RGB has been resolved yet? I will be buying a recorder very soon & am looking at spending around £200. If the Sony still has the problems are there any other models which people could suggest (would like a Dv input if possible).

8. papabear

papabear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wasn't aware there was a problem with the RGB
    Please Explain?

9. JAMIN

JAMIN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See this thread:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199285&highlight=GX210

They were in contact with Sony Technical and it would appear that this is a problem with ALL GX210's that Sony is working on fixing.
    It's a problem with the RGB pass through and a mod should appear some time to fix the problem.

Anyone that says they have it working with RGB pass through hasn't got it set up right as it doesn't work, so say Sony, on any of these players.
    I've just tried recording from Sky+ via RGB out and connected the gx210 to my TV into a none RGB scart socket and the picture is perfect.

Played back the recording on my standalone player in RGB and it looks great. So it would seem that the problem only appears when you output RGB from the gx210. It's recording RGB fine.

I'm hopeful that it won't take long before a fix appears as I've told Superfi that I'd rather hold onto this player as it does almost everything I need at present except RGB passthrough and auto switching widescreen when Sky is passed through it.

Like chappies, I've set mine up with Video out from Sky+ into gx210 then TV out of Sky+ into my RGB scart on the TV. It'll do for now until the fix comes along. Now I'll get onto archiving all my old videos

10. Justin@UH

Justin@UH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    The only reason there is this problem on this model (GX210) and no other Sony recorder, is because this isn`t actually made by Sony! It is made by LG for Sony, as with a lot of other budget Sony products now. So if you buy a different Sony recorder (such as the older RDRGX300, or the RDRHX510) you won`t have this issue.

11. JAMIN

JAMIN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do either of these players have the DV input? They are also more expensive than the 210.

12. papabear

papabear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry Jamin both the RDR GX300 and the RDR HX510 do not have a DV input. Can not confirm if any of the new range coming out Sept/Oct has DV input. Will keep you posted

13. Justin@UH

Justin@UH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93

The only models in the `05-06 new Sony range with DV in are the RDR-HX710, RDR-HX910 and the RDR-HX1010.

14. Pedro Elisio

Pedro Elisio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello to all
    I have a sony RDR GX210 and I will try the above region free method and then I will post the results.
    I wonder if someone know a way to put this machine recording original dvd movies from another dvd player via scart port.
    Thanks,
    Pedro

15. vickylin

vickylin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have you try it yet? I'm thinking of getting the machine region-free too.

16. T_Worthy

T_Worthy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just tried Sick Note's advice and it worked a treat. Thanks!

17. spiver

spiver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
  18. robnelson200

robnelson200

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For anyone wondering, like I did, download the earlier .zip file (But I believe it should be the RDR GX210.zip not ALS as mentioned). Then extract the files in it, find the one called KPJC19_1.DVD and burn it onto a CD in the root folder.

Stick the disc in the DVD recorder, wait a few seconds and select region 0.

Then you're all set!

Rob

19. jetlag

jetlag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you guys mind to specify if the above also enables recording of macrovision protected VHS tapes?
    Otherwise, how to make it work?

Thanks /jet

20. Fevvers

Fevvers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, that worked, I copied the KPJC19_1.DVD file in the Scarlet directory onto the CD (I used the RDR GX210.zip) and Robert was, indeed, my father's brother.

21. shrinkx

shrinkx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i did how SickNote Said. But it doesnt work. the recorder said" Code-Free" . but the recorder doenst read DVD. only CD/R CD /RW What can i do?

22. mark.w.jones

mark.w.jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may be interested to here the e mail I received from sony technical support. I contacted them as when passing the RGB signal from my freeview box to the DVD player and then on to my TV (RGB in) via good quality SCART leads I was getting an orange band of distortion at the top of the TV screen. This was there when watching and also on my recordings as well. Despite switching RGB off on the freeview box and numerous amounts of fiddling I eventually gave up and admitted defeat.

Anyway. The Sony guy said that the problems is that the DVD player has problems dealing with a 16:9 input and it is only when inputting a 16:9 picture that you will get distortion problems. I changed my freeview box settings to output a 4:3 picture and lo and behold NO DISTORTION! FIXED! well sort of, not perfect thou. He also said that this was a feature of all GX210 and not a fault. That it was meant to be like that.

Anyway, the upshot is that if I want minimal distortion when watching or recording freeview, I will have to put up with a slightly stretched 4:3 RGB picture when watching freeview and miss a bit from the top and bottom of the screen OR buy a S-Video lead from these guys and put up with a lower quality picture.

http://www.svideo.com/svideoscart.html

I have bought this lead (before finding out about switching to 4:3) and it did cure the problem when connected to the non RGB SCART on my TV + meant that I could watch a true 16:9 output. The picture quality was a little worse than RGB SCART but then at least there wasnt an orange band at the top. I also connected the DVD player with a SCART to my TV so that I could watch shop bought DVDs with a better RGB picture quality. All I have to remember to do is flick to AV1 to watch and record freeview via the S video lead and then to AV2 to watch a film via RGB SCART.

FINAL VERDICT
    S video 16:9 picture vs RGB SCART 4:3 picture that doesnt completely fit on the screen. Not sure. Will let you know once ive had it set up a bit longer.

23. Bl@de

Bl@de

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well, thought i would make this my first post since joining this forum today... Just used the region hack on my Sony (LG:D ) GX210 and it worked brilliantly:smashin:

24. pbh73

pbh73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Download works for me too :)

GX210 now multi regional....

thanks, Paul

25. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi all, this link doesn't seem to have any zip downloads linked off of it anymore.

Does anybody have the GX210 download? If so could you PM me so I can get hold of a copy.

Thanks a lot.

Tony

26. Hackeroonie

Hackeroonie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Ahin4114 & Others

Here is the link and the Instructions on how to Make this Sony Product Region Free

As Stated Previously This Player is Not made By Sony it is an LG OEM Product ie Made By LG & Badged Sony

Go to this Link

www.area450.co.uk/lg5083hack.htm

Download the File from the Link Marked this zip file (5KB size) (As it says it is a Zipped File) ..once downloaded it is called LG5000.zip

Unzip the File...once Unzipped it becomes a Folder Called RMTM0000 and a Text Instruction File ...Burn the Folder RMTM0000 ( NOT the Text File) to a CDR (as a Data CD) ...Put the CDR into your Player and follow the On-Screen Instructions..And Job Done.

Hope this Helps

Hackeroonie

27. RX210

RX210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a problem lads.
    I bought the GX-210.. I dont really care about Multiregion..
    The problem is that When i try to record signal from A VHS (recorder from sattelite) it says.. CANNOT RECORD THIS SIGNAL...
    I suppose its macromedia protection.. Is there a way to change that??
    I am from greece and i live in Czech republic.. So i want some dvds from my country.. For personal use!
    Thank u very much

Post here and please mail me @ alexzip@freemail.gr

28. Simon1987

Simon1987
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This unit no longer plays any of my dvds, but audio cds are fine.

any ideas on how to fix it?

29. Justin@UH

Justin@UH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Thast a laser fault, and its really not worth repairing to be honest, given that this models over 2 years old, and isn`t actually manufactured by Sony anyway (as per my earlier post here a year or so back!).

You could pick up another one of these for under £50, but you would be better getting something a bit better like a "genuine" Sony, or a Panasonic/Pioneer/JVC model.