sony quality

V

vegaphil

hi all i would like to know your feelings towards sony as ive gone through 7 tv sets in the last 2 months as follows:
kv28fx68 suffers with blue smearing on captions
and off focus towards the edges of the screen x3 sets

kv28fq70 suffers with color smear as we all know that was fixed thanx to you lot but couldnt put up with very bad convergence on the set. i took delivery of another set and this one was off focus in the centre of the screen

:mad:

then decided to go 4 the kd28dx50 this set had banding on the freeview and hum bars running up the picture and to top it off terrible sound. i then took delivery of another 28dx50 and this one has the same pink banding on free view but the picture on dvd and freeview was not as good as the first set how can this be????? picture seems to be off focus dam sonys now i have lost all faith in sony tvs. i dont think ive been unlucky they seem to be letting the sets slip though qc.

But the latest thing is my dvps536 costing £350 after less than 200 hours playing needs a new laser at the cost of £140 the player is 18 months old :censored:

i think ill get a lowe any suggestions?

Yes Sony are doing a good job irritating it's loyal customer base thesedays.
I don't think anything will change until their profits fall.

I've also been thinking about getting a Loewe. When all else fails get German perfection!

ehmm...

nothing to say,
there's not just one product
in all categories and all brands
perfect or nearly

that's all compressed in two words:
consumer products

Yes, consumer is not the best. But some brands will generally have better quality than others.

For example an Alba will not match the quality of a Loewe, this is undisputable.

Sony don't seem to manufacture a lot of their own stuff anymore. DVD players are so ridiculously cheap now. If sony tried to sell well made but basic dvd players made in japan they would probably still be £250 minimum. Sony still make a lot of televisions in the uk. A lot of the uk workforce I have to say aren't the most motivated of people. I work in a factory making springs and pressings and a good percentage of people don't care if they work or not. As long as they've got a girlfriend and children the council/state will provide totally for them however stupd and reckless they are. So it doesn't surprise me Sony uk struggle to provide good quality control on their televisions which they do make themselves.

Lets face it most brands make what they can get away with and they are learning all the time how bad something has to get before people complain about it. People on this forum are pretty clued up and know what they want. Most people aren't too fussed about the performance of their tv as long as it works and offers reasonable picture and sound. I don't think Sony are any worse than most other firms. As long as theres something good out there to buy we are doing alright considering the great prices. As long as your not a brand fan and try to always buy from the same company all the time you should be alright.

I tend not to buy Sony myself purely because I don't think they are good value compared to other brands. Thinking about electronics around the house the only Sony item I can think of is my Playstation 2 and thats it. I've never owned a Sony dvd player, vcr, hifi or television. I have had some Aiwa stuff in the past. A prologic midi system and vhs vcr but nothing from the main brand Sony itself.

I have had 3 Sony TVs and the second is the flimsiest but still works (just) after 13 years, the 20 year old portable still goes and my 4.5 year old IDTV however is stunning in PQ.

"They just don't make things like they use to" :)

durability seems to be lessening as the years go by.....quality control seems to be placed after output....greed seems to be placed before customer satisfaction......

Sony seem to fail on all these areas and live in their name of years gone by......

Well I would not buy cheapest Sony as they are definately not up to usual standards, I am a typical mid market buyer.

As to standards my 20 year old 14" TV cost £225, 13 year old 25" cost £500.

MY IDTV cost £1200 in a sale but it is a bit bare inside - almost all tube!

I never liked the FX60 as the picture looked plastic, and I have never liked any Wega on analogue TV - SVM is horrible.

So my TV which appears well enough made has had about an hour spent doing geometry fixes, half hour playing with brightness and contrast to tame an oversaturated RGB input - after all this I have a TV capable of showing a decent picture.

The biggest evils today are low price and SVM.

The list price was £1400 at the time but then this was before the recent price fall of new TVs.

A lot of cheaper receivers (including the e-line Sonys) I would not even bother auditioning as they look like they would only last 5 minutes.

Now why I am still using a 5 year old DVD player - because it still works - built like a brick outhouse - I will probably get a mid range Pioneer next.

I bought a Sony 725 multi region player lasted for 3.5 years which is good by Sony standards cost me £550 at the time.Laser went plus other gremlins started to creep in.........

tried 905 Sony cost me £350 at the time so far so good at 10 months old fingers crossed...

wouldn't touch sony tv's no offence intended to anyone who has one but my brother bought 32 inch widescreen and the tube was faulty then had it replaced by another then another then he gave up.......

bought a Sony 940 receiver £500 at the time hissing at high and low volume levels after 1 month of trying it out....got my money back bought Yamaha never looked back since.

another brother bought a sony home cinema surround system can't remember what model cost £600 at the time ....terrible distortion hissing and cd music sounded awful tinny....took it back

noy much faith in Sony at the minute give them a second chance on dvd player have always bought the more expensive models or at least mid range never budget but always seem to have problems........this is not to offend people out there with good experiences with Sony...just my own personal honest experience with Sony......

Like Martin my brother also owned an old 29 inch 4:3 Sony lasted 14 years and still going as he gave it to his father in law after upgrading...where has all the quality and reliability gone....

companies will get away with what the customer accepts....if the customer complains they will not get away with as much...

thanks....only an opinion of course

swartzy;)

Perhap Sony are chasing mass market a bit too much as I am sure my TV is better made than todays - and this is only 4 1/2 years - I had one of the very first 50Hz Sony IDTVs.

However the TRV33 is excellent - but surprise surprise its replacement is not as good:censored:

everything is made to retail cost so the dvpns725 of 5 years back is excellent and would of cost £600 ish
The official replacement is the dvpns930 this model does alot more "features" and retails at £400 some "features have come along purely as they are now available but ask yourself this:
How have Sony made a reduction in RRP of £200 and added numerous "desirable""features"? They made it using cheaper components and inferior parts! Conclusion spend at least the same as you did on your original player if not more and get only the "features" you NEED on it!

nice theory but are you not faced with the same situation with the £600 player...i.e. not as well made;)

Today, you can buy a 28" Sony TV for £399, in a Sony Centre. Five years ago that probably wouldn't have even bought you Bush widescreen TV from Tescos. Luckily I've never owned a Bush TV to really experience the true quality of that goldfish-bowl screen but I'm pretty sure that those of us splashing a modest amount of cash for our tellies are getting far more quality than we could have done in the past, because we can finally afford a Sony!

Originally posted by Paul Atreides
Yes Sony are doing a good job irritating it's loyal customer base thesedays.
I don't think anything will change until their profits fall.

I've also been thinking about getting a Loewe. When all else fails get German perfection!

Sony's profits dropped by a HUGE amount last year. Even more than they predicted. Of course their solution is to close down plants and lay people off. And a little something called Cell which should stop them from spending 8 billion a year buying IC's from other companies.

And Loewe TV's are the business. I used to own a Sony widescreen and it wasn't bad other than the faults it developed and it was usless at choosing the correct aspect ratio. The Aconda I have now is in a diffeerent league altogether.
The PS2 though is a dog - it's ugly, noisy and has a poor picture quality even with the £30 scart

Originally posted by CMcK
Sony's profits dropped by a HUGE amount last year... And Loewe TV's are the business.

I would try and make your Loewe last if I were you. Their policy of not reducing the cost of their products has helped land them in the financial doo-doo, and given that they are a relatively small company I'd be very surprised if they're still making TVs the same way by the time you're ready to buy your next one. I take no pleasure in saying that, but its a harsh reality that when the market price is driven down by competition then the cost has to come down too (if you want the company to stay in business).

I hope Loewe don't fold as I have no intention of paying the kind of money B&O are asking for a TV.

Ferrari are backed by Fiat Group and the Italian banks so they are probably on sound financial footing. I suspect the profit margin on a Ferrari is far higher than that of a TV.

Maybe Loewe need to follow B&O by going further upmarket than attempting to crack the High St market.

Sony's profits dropped by a HUGE amount last year. Even more than they predicted. Of course their solution is to close down plants and lay people off.

:mad:

I suppose nothing will change in the near future then.

Ferrari are backed by Fiat Group and the Italian banks so they are probably on sound financial footing. I suspect the profit margin on a Ferrari is far higher than that of a TV.

:oops: Sorry, I deleted it before I read yours.
Couldn't think of any companies that weren't owned, how about Bentley?

Bentley are part of VAG.

Ferrari are backed by Fiat Group and the Italian banks so they are probably on sound financial footing.
Bizarly, Ferrari are just about the only profit-making part of the Fiat Group so they are propping up the mass-market business!
One of the main reasons Ferrari could grow their business was because they already had worldwide recognition as the ultimate fast car maker. I'd be surprised if most consumers have heard of Loewe so if you asked the man in the street who makes the best TVs they'd probably mention one of the big global brands. And since there's no TV equivilent of F1-racing for Loewe to show-off their performance their best chance is to be bought by some generous benefactor that's got a spare couple of billion to spend on advertising and isn't tempted to dilute their product offering. (I wish them luck!)

As you see below I do own some sony gear and haven''t experienced problems myself. Whenever I look at the new Sony range that comes out, I always find that the prosucts with the best build quality are new products or technologies. Maybe there is just not much else to develop with CRT sets, so the only way to be competetive is to join the bandwagon and cut costs for a good retail price. Just as an example, I am about to but a DSCT1 digital Camera for work. It's products like this that you have to take your hat off to Sony for. I do agree though, that older product ranges are becoming a bit plastic and non fantastic.

Originally posted by TV Headache
given that they are a relatively small company I'd be very surprised if they're still making TVs the same way by the time you're ready to buy your next one.

So if I'm going to get one, I should get one in the near future then?

Originally posted by Paul Atreides
So if I'm going to get one, I should get one in the near future then?
If I were you I'd have a look at Loewe's latest financial report before deciding when to spend your money. It doesn't say "help, we're about to go under" but then again doesn't say "we have lots of money to invest in exciting new CRT products" either. In their situation and with their limited resources I would be tempted to either start taking cost out of their CRT TVs to stay in touch with market pricing, or focus entirely on developing LCD TVs for the future.

Regarding the main topic, I note that according to the latest Which? magazine, Sony are amongst the 'most reliable' brands for TV. Which? also surveyed people's willingness to recommend TV brands to a friend and again Sony were in the top category (Loewe came in only 'average'). Knowing how extensive Which? surveys are, I reckon that provides the definitive answer to the question.

Hmm Which -the magazine which gave 4* out of 5* to a Sony SLHF950 VCR - the first 6* out of 5* machine.

When it came out this machine was stunning - best picture of any PAL domestic VCR - Which gave it a lower score than some Vhs rubbish.

Moral of story

DO NOT TRUST WHICH! :thumbsdow

Originally posted by TV Headache
Regarding the main topic, I note that according to the latest Which? magazine, Sony are amongst the 'most reliable' brands for TV. Which? also surveyed people's willingness to recommend TV brands to a friend and again Sony were in the top category (Loewe came in only 'average'). Knowing how extensive Which? surveys are, I reckon that provides the definitive answer to the question.

Do you have the figures for the Which reliability survey? I've not seen the results of a Which survey since the 2002 poll. It would be interesting to see how they have changed. Back then Sony's were in the middle reliability wise next to Philips.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom