1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Qualia Due

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by skywalker1010, May 3, 2004.

1. skywalker1010

skywalker1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Does anyone know when the Sony Qualia is due this side of the pond.

I have heard so much about this unit in the States and Japan, but there are no details of a UK release date, anyone know?.

I am also interested in the new JVC unit with seperate scaler, known as the HD2K in the States.

Thanks

Nick

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Nick,

There are only two prototypes of the HD2K knocking around I believe. One was supposed to be shown to a few select folk last week but it failed and by the time it was working it had to continue on its european tour. Hopefully I'll get to see it when it's back in UK.

I also spoke with Sony CI distributor about this unit three weeks ago and at that point they had no idea when or if it would appear over here. The issue he saw was that it's considered a Domestic device in USA and Japan which means it would be sold through Sony domestic retailers.

Who knows when we'll see it. I can tell you that from the viewing I've had it has potential. It is also the most physically beautiful projector I've ever seen.

Gordon

3. skywalker1010

skywalker1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks Gordon,

I have seen the Qualia reviews on the AVS forum over in the States, and everything looks good.

As usual we always seem to be the last in the techno food chain, although the SX-21 filtered through quite quickly so we may see the JVC first.

I have seen the Qualia for the equivalent Yen of £12,200:eek:

Nick

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Wow, £12,200......

I doubt it'll be that much if we get it. I would suggest that if it does make an appearance you will want a large screen. When I saw it with X3ELS it was on an 11ft wide screen and the blacks were grey and it was f..ing bright. I actually am looking forward to mucking about with one when they arrive, especially as the new Lumagens should be able to send it the 1080sF24 signal it's supposed to love.

Gordon

5. skywalker1010

skywalker1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Gordon,

Do you have any idea when the Sony or JVC will hit the UK, are there any opportunities to see these in the UK soon.

I have been waiting to push the button on a dedicated cinema room for a number of months now. I was first looking at a JVC SX-21, then thought about a Sim2 300, now they have the Link and also the 500.

I see Jeff has the 500 on demo at the moment.

Sure is an exciting time for getting started, decisions, decisions.

My room is 24ft x 36ft.

Nick:rolleyes:

6. Wolvreen

Wolvreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At 12K (or less) surely the Qualia will wipe-out the 3 chip DLP's at their price point, or have I missed something?

7. skywalker1010

skywalker1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Gordon is right though, cannot see the Qualia hitting the UK officially for under 20K. The price I saw was a converted Yen price.

There should be no problems on an import as there are many forum members who have imported this way.

Not so sure about wiping out a 3 chip like the Sim 500, I am still waiting to see that unit and hopefully the rest.

Nick

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Well I can tell you that the 3 chip DLP's I've seen had as good or better image as the Qualia I saw. These are at shows though. I have installed a 3 Chip DLP and am doing another soon and they really are very very good. Certainly good enough for a devout CRT head like me to be happy watching them. Of coures just as all single chip DLP's don;t look the same neither do all the 3 chipers. There are differences in picture quality.

Only once Qualia is here and I can see a finished unit in a good demonstration would I be hapy to comment in its ultimate quality. I 'd expect it's going to be around £20,000. When I spoke with the Sony CI distributor they had no idea at all if or when there would be one in UK.

The JVCprototype is doing the rounds of european distributors. As I said it was not funcitoning when it was in UK. It will be back though and it's being shown in a closed demo to a small amount of folk. I expect a few members of this foum will be privaledged to see it. I have no idea when it'll actually be available. I don't think it's going to be at CEDIA UK in early June. So it's probably going to be officially launched at CEDIA USA in Sept but that's a guess.

Hope this is some use,

Gordon

9. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Gordon, we had one of the HD2Ks in at work today. Was pretty impressed after we had been able to play around with the scaler settings a bit.

Look mighty impressive with a 1080i D-theater feed (as you would hope).

It's going off to Germany tomorrow sadly though. Hopefully we will have access to one on an easier basis for demoing in the near future.

It's set to cost £14,660 ex VAT.