1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony PSP

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by jenic, Feb 14, 2005.

1. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    When is the PSP coming out?

Is it true that it has been put back till June or is the Amazon date correct.

Is it true that it will only cost £180, i was thinking more on the lines of double that. If it is only £180 i'll start saving now.

Also, what does PSP mean?

2. slowen

slowen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not heard anything about June, I would keep a checkout on PSP forums in case anyone posta a thread about the release

Last time I heard it is still the date that amazon have issued on the website (april) but you never know as these things are subject to change. I seen a press release by some Japanese company saying that the units are still in demand in Japan so this will have a knock on effect for USA and then that may force a delay in the UK release date due to the fact Sony cannot keep up with demand. The price my local gamestation said the price is anywhere between £120 - £180 but they are not sure if any games are included in the package.

I paid £260 for mine about 6 weeks ago and I will be glad when the games come out in USA so I can get games in English.

PSP = PlayStation Portable

3. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Wow, youve actually got one. Are they worth buying?

4. slowen

slowen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are good but I have not played on it much really. I got ridge racers which shows off the PSP graphics and ape escape academy which is just loads of mini games. I tend to nip in and out of it playong around an hour at a time, just waiting for an RPG or adventure game that I can get stuck into.

It will be good when I get a 512mb or 1gb memory card so I can download some mp3's and videos to my psp

This is a good website it has image converter software and games saves and video's to download to your psp when you get.

www.crazyhatsoftware.com/upload/index.php?

5. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I will probably be very similar. I dont play games for hours and hours like a lot of people seem to do, i tend to just play for an hour and then do something else.

6. slowen

slowen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can play on games for a while if it keeps me interested otherwise I just dip in and out. It will be handy on journeys depending on battery life

7. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,179
    When I first got my PSP just after xmas I played it for a few hours straight every day but I have begun to play it less and less and I think it has been nearly 2 weeks now since I last played on it and then that was to test out my 512Mb card but I am sure that will all change once US games are released :thumbsup:

8. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    I'd read that the PSP's Euro launch could be pushed back to Sept in order to allow Sony to satisfy JAP/USA demand first. Once sales had died down a bit they could concentrate on Europe. Makes sense to me. Still, if you have to have one come March 18th, www.dvdboxoffice.com will ship the value pack for £140. I'm sure www.videogamesplus.com will have a good offer nearer the time. At the moment they're only taking pre-orders for imports.

9. slowen

slowen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is a bit of a delay :rolleyes: if the september release is true but if you want a machine there is nothing stopping people from buying a JPN/USA model as it probably wont cost as much or maybe a little more but you will be getting it in advance of the europe release.

Looking forward to the USA release so I can get some more games

10. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,179
    Judging by current US pre-order prices even if you get hit with customs you will be saving £40+ compared to how much the UK PSP is being advertised at.

11. Tony911

Tony911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Easy all,

Im finally getting my PSP tommorow morning and its going to be like christmas all over...been buying all my accessories this week and ready to go....

I got a 1gb memory stick pro duo card, so will be able to get lots of dvix files on there... but....

I was wondering if there was any way that you could get hold of the UMD discs that the PSP uses and burn directly onto them and use them like a dvd?? U would need some sort of software i suppose but should b easy..

Just a thought, any1 one out there know??

12. slowen

slowen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony won't be be allowing the the sale of UMD discs due to the fact it will make piracy easy if UMD's come on the market.

Should have fun with your 1gb card, loads of mp3's and a movie

If you want to know where to get the following PSP software (rapiz image converter, sony image converter 2.1, 3gp image converter, audio converter) just pm me and I will let you know where to get it for free on the net

13. gavask

gavask

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Regarding UMD's, someone out there has already produced a umd writer, and dam it I can't find the link, one of the IT boys stumbled on it at work, basically a japanese company has developed the writer

watch this space I will find that link.........grrrrrr

No one can make anything pirate proof, if you want to copy it someone out there can....it is only a matter of time

14. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,395

Well that didnt take long then :laugh:

ipod crazy: Welcome to the world of being pi*^ed off, the world of waiting.

However THIS SITE may interest you for buying one from the uk that has already been imported. I was going to get one from there, but my mate is buying me and himself one and he has ordered from play otherwise I would have bought one from there, and he wont change.

tris

15. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I have decided to import one. Where will i pay custom duties? Does it go to my post office and i pay there or do i have to send money to the port it came in at?

Is it just the normal 17.5% aswell?

16. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,179
    Most likely the post office will want the money before they hand over the package so you will have to pay the charges at the door or go and pay the charges when you go and collect the package.

Also, customs charges break down as 17.5% + 4% Duty and then there will be a £4 charge from the post office.

17. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Of course if you courier it across, it usually equates to the 17.5% plus 4% plus anywhere between £10 to £15 handling depending on the couriers.

I've preordered (as have many) using DVD Soon so it's about £100 plus import tax etc. I figure even at £40, I'll still be saving around £40 and have it earlier too!

18. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    What is dvd soon?

19. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I am gonna hold out for the official UK release still, it's not like there's much worthwhile software out at the moment anyway. By summer time though this will be different :)

20. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Then in the summer you'll be grinding you teeth waiting for the september UK release :D

21. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    www.dvdsoon.com is a Canadian internet shop. As dvds and games are far cheaper over there you can import dvds for £11 and games for £28, (at the moment £9 and £23 with 20% discount), roughly speaking. They sell an I-Fidlity card, (basically a loyalty card), that gives you free p+p and a 5% discount. This rises 1% year on year til 10%. Though at the moment they're offering 20% on all items til 3rd March. That's how a PSP can be pre-ordered for £103. You also get points for different items bought to be used on future purchases. Not sure what the points are worth at the moment!?

22. UncagedTyphoon

UncagedTyphoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  23. Pickledcreeky

Pickledcreeky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have just got hold of a PSP and a Nintendo DS the import duty for the psp was pretty heafty I had to pay 56 quid!! Having both and playing the games on both though I do prefer the DS. The games are great fun on it where as the Psp just feels like a Playstation 2 (Not that is a bad thing though) The graphics on the psp are far better than ds though :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

24. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Hi Pickledcreeky

Where did you get the consoles from?

If one had to be sent back, which one would go and why?

25. Pickledcreeky

Pickledcreeky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I got the PSP from http://www.lik-sang.com/ with Lumines and Ridge Racer. The DS I got whilst I was in Japan visiting friends. As for which one I would rather have I would probably go for the DS. Although it has far worse graphics the games are great fun plus the touch screen is excellent it really shines on games like Metroid prime. (I have the demo of the game.) The PSP is excellent though. It feels just like playing a Playstation 2.

Attached Files:

26. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    When more games become available for the PSP do you think you will change your mind?

27. Pickledcreeky

Pickledcreeky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Well for me the DS. The reason being that I love games such as mario kart, Warioware, Zelda and all the rest. Not only that but touchscreen is excellent (Good for FPS games) and the batt life is good. But if you had your heart set on a psp if I were you I would go for that. If you really enjoy nintendo games such as zelda, mario kart..... Then consider a DS. Out of all my friends who have tried both none of them have been disappointed with either

Edit: Also bear in mind the psp will also have movies come out for it on the little discs (Thats what I have heard) and can be used as an mp3 player. The sound quality on it is excellent as well when played through headphones

28. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,179
    Films are being released on UMD media which the PSP will playback but you can also convert your own dvds and put them onto a Memory Card which you can then put in the PSP and watch which I think is a great feature.

29. Pickledcreeky

Pickledcreeky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the psp has a really nice screen on it so it will be ideal :thumbsup:

30. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Incidentally if you go the Region 1 PSP route a selection of the movies can be picked up for around £5 (Members) from dvd soon :thumbsup:

Sorry I have to keep mentioning this in PSP threads as think its a great deal when you consider the RRP for region 2 movies will be around £20.....