1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony PSP vs Nintendo DS

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Miyazaki, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    As I have now got both consoles in my hands, I shall attempt to give those without either console an idea over which to get, if you can only afford one.

Nintendo DS

Firstly, the DS seeks to appear different, to break out of the box, as it were with the touch screen capability. At first it seems like a fantastic idea. When I bought my Nintendo DS, I got it with Project Rub and Warioware, the two games that utilise the touch screen more than any other. It certainly is fun, and the stylised graphics of both are quite good, and don't make it look naff at all. Although after a while, it does feel a bit gimmicky, especially as Warioware only has 2 or 3 hours of gameplay in it, although the micro-games can be replayed, you lose the will to play it, without a spine of storyline behind it. Super Mario DS uses the touch screen as an analogue controller, much like the Metroid demo. This is quite hard to get to grips with, and I ended up with a sore wrist after a while, and it isn't a very tuitive control method.

However I can see room for improvement, and the new Kirby game and Yoshi Touch and Go both look good, and I am looking forward to both games, and their ability to utilise the touch screen, rather than the gimmick it feels like at the moment.

Battery
    The DS also has quite a substantial battery life, I have been playing it for nearly a fortnight before it needed charging, and can reportedly last 8 hours between charges. This is very good when you consider it has 2 backlit screens.

The DS is very bulky, and isn't really a pocket console like the GBA SP was/is, and the loss of portability with ease is a bit of a downer, but it is roughly the same size and weight as the PSP. Although the build quality doesn't seem as good as the PSP it is a robust machine, and the clam shell keeps the screens safe.

Graphics
    The graphics, once you get used to them are fine, and Super Mario DS displays the best graphics I have yet to see on the console. Loading times are very quick, and it has a very clear, crisp display.

Wifi Capability
    I can't comment on the wifi capability, as I have yet to use it, but as informed that it can support up to 16 people ad-hoc, I had a play with the pictochat, but that seemed like a gimmick to be honest.

Touch Screen control
    The stylus is good, although the thumb strap is a bit of a let down, and I haven't been able to use it properly with any of my games as yet, maybe it takes some getting used to, but it just feels unweildly and unnatural, so I consigned it to it's box. Also I have noticed quite a few scratches on the touch screen, which is a bit annoying, but can only be expected.

Overall, it is a very good console, and a great attempt by Nintendo, both to deliver an innovative product at an exceptional price point. Software will inevitably tell whether it is a bit of gimmick or not, and hopefully there will be some good bits of software to utilise the touch screen, but at the moment, it does feel a bit gimmicky.

I'd give the Nintendo DS 8/10

Sony PSP

The Sony PSP is quite remarkable when you consider what they have managed to cram inside a machine so small. The screen is enormous, and enables great clarity of picture, and when you play back movies on it, it takes the console to a whole new level. It can play games and movies via UMD, as well as music and photo playback via memory cards. Instead of trying to take gaming in new directions like the DS, Sony has decided to concentrate on raw processing power and functionality, and becomes more of a portable multi-media centre than a dedicated gaming console.

Battery

The battery life isn't half as good as the DS, and it tends to die after 3 or four hours of use, which for a portable console, is quite abysmal. This takes the potential score down a notch, as the idea of a handheld is that you can play it on the go. A play on it on the way to work, at lunch, and again on the way home means that it will need to be fully recharged. However, I am informed that Sony will be releasing a battery upgrade in the near future.

Graphics

The graphical capability of the PSP is good, however I was a bit left down, hand on heart. Gretsky hockey was a bit poor, and the lack of commentary on the game was a bit of a shock. Wipeout looks good, as does Dynasty Warriors, but to me at least, it looks more like a PS 1.75 than a PS2. This is probably due to the fact that a chunk of the processing power has been locked away by sony at the moment, so hopefully when the battery upgrade is released, we will be able to download a firmware upgrade to enable the true horsepower of the PSP to be unleashed.

Wifi Capability

Again, I don't have wifi at home, and have been unable to use it on the PSP. However the PSP enables wifi in infrastructure, which means that it is effectively online when you are able to use it. Also there are programmes in development at the moment that will enable the PSP to have an internet browser, further expanding the broad repertoire of the PSP's capabilities.

Controls

The control system on the PSP is excellent, and the analogue controller is also very good. The shoulder buttons are at a comfortable position, unlike the Nintendo DS, which due to the top screen, means that it is difficult to utilise the shoulder buttons effectively. The console as a whole feels very ergonomic and is an absolute joy.

I'd give the Sony PSP 9/10

The Sony PSP, like the Nintendo DS, is a very good console, and a fantastic first foray into the world of handheld gaming. The build quality of the console is everything you would come to expect from Sony, and when you consider that it only cost me £5 more than a UK model Nintendo DS, completely blows the Nintendo out of the water, like for like. However, when the PSP is released over here, you can expect to pay almost double for the PSP than the DS, and for some people that is a lot to swallow, especially if you are considering choosing one for a child.

That is where the two consoles differentiate. They are clearly aimed at different markets, and have a different perspective on handheld gaming. To really appricate the whole spectrum of handheld gaming, I would recommend purchasing both, but if I had to choose one over the other, I think I would go for the Sony PSP.

2. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    That's a pretty fair assessment of the PSP GG - I can't comment much on the DS as i've only had a couple of games on it.

My PSP Views

My battery tends to last a good 4 hours of gaming which is OK but not brilliant. 4 hours of continuous gaming is quite a bit but since receiving Wipeout ( I love that game!!) I can see me charging it up a bit more often :D .

Wipeout Pure looks superb IMO - a good improvement over Fusions graphics on the PS2. The frame rate and smoothness of the graphics is great with no slow down that I could detect. Due to the size of the screen they can get away with a reduction in detail but to be honest they haven't done in Wipeout. The detail in Wipeout's courses is fantastic!

The sound is also first class and seems to match the PS2's sound output easily. The speakers in the unit are poor and the sound is very tinny but what can you expect out of a unit this size :D . The output via the headphones is great though and I find playing Wipeout on the PSP with the phones on one of the most immersive gaming experiences that i've ever had. The hours just fly by!

The unit is pretty well designed and I can't believe what they have crammed into it! It's reasonably comfortable to hold although it is a bit heavy for long gaming sessions. WiFi works really well and is a doddle to set up although i've not played an online (ad-hoc or infrastructure mode) game as yet. I'm gonna give the X-Kai a go soon via my wireless laptop so if anyone else fancies trying that we could have a bash!

Overall i'd give it 9/10 as well as it's really a stunning unit only let down at this stage by the battery life. I'm sure a higher charged battery will come out soon though and there's always the spare battery option. :thumbsup:

3. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I would disagree with the three hours battery life. I use headphones and get around 5 hours use on mine.

4. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    It's difficult to tell really re:battery life as I tend to play in 10-30 min sessions and don't really add them all up. I have my screen on full brightness and I guess that some games use more battery life than others. I personally didn't think that battery life is a huge problem and it's actually a big achievement considering the optical drive, huge screen, stereo speakers, wifi capability, powerful processor & graphics chip. If you want handheld gaming of this quality then the sacrifice is battery life. Personally i'd rather play 5 hours PSP than 10 hours Gameboy. :thumbsup:

5. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Agreed, the batt life isn't too much of an issue for me,the unit is superb, very happy with mine.

Wipeout Pure is awesome!!! Ordered Ridge Racer as well, and will hopefully get that by the weekend. 512MB mem stick also on the way, was going to order a 1GB one, but the cost and the lack of stock at many dealers changed my mind for now, will wait for a while before getting one of those. Besides, I don't mind spending a little now and then on UMD movies, although I'm rarely going to be using the PSP for movies, maybe rips from Sky Plus now and then for the awful tube journey.

Screen is superb on the PSP, the resolution and picture quality is truly stunning, when you see one in action, you understand what all the fuss is about.

Very impressed, 9/10 from me too. Might buy a DS soon, but may not be much point as I doubt I will be playing it much.

All I want now on the PSP is a decent port of Tekken 4 :D

6. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Tekken 5 is coming out on PSP soon mate.

7. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :smashin: :smashin: :smashin: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

EXCELLENT!!

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    Yeah can't wait for Tekken 5 - should be superb!! Hopefully they will do VF4 Evo as well as that's a superb beat em up. With GT4, PES4 also due to come out on the PSP it's going to end up with a very strong line up!

Personally I absolutely love Wipeout Pure though - that game has got me well addicted - the best Wipeout yet IMO - better than 2097! :clap: :clap:

9. snake II

snake II

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The next gameboy is what we should be thinking off, I think nintendo are testing waters with the ds to see what consumers like with this and psp features, just watch its gonna be more wireless action and more of a mutlimedia device, nintendo may have to change their business strategy because the markets every where are becoming multimedia frenzy, with mp3 this and that, the revulution is now confirmed to be wireless , nintendo announced today taht they are partnering with a wireless company check out the game sites for the news , so looks liek the revolutions gonna be free internet gaming which may eb a blow for microsoft and sony because it looks likely that it will be free considering iwat san said that the revolution is going in the same direction as the ds, yeah sure the ds isnt the best looking system but dont you think they purposely made it look like that so that they can come out with a "sp" version soon just think about it they are making profit out of that machine whereas sony are losing profit as usual just to dent nintendo, dont get me wrogn I will get the psp I am no sony hater either but I think nintendo have much more left than people think they are the only company that has made a profit since the snes days on each console, sony may be the market leader but not profit leader nintendo are in all areas the only profit leader.

10. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,388
    Yes odd that Nintendo have officially said the DS is actually a PDA and not primarily a portable games console. The cynic in me says they took a look at the PSP and decided damage-control, and bring out something better sooner than they were wanting too. I certainly had the impression the DS was the new Gameboy from pre-launch hype.

RE: PSP battery life. On less I/O intensive games, like Lumines or MGA, i get 6 hours battery life, Wipeout is about 4, but i havent really timed that, as i find the "action" type games mroe stressful for one's hands and wrists, so cant play for more than 4 races without a break.

The PSP is definietly more impressive on initial play, but since it's more expensive it should be. All we should really want is good games, the hardware becomes largely irrelevant after a while, so the real question is whos software is going to be better?!

11. Fatbob1080

Fatbob1080

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I dont really see the point in comparing the psp to the ds. Hopefully the gba 2 will be revealed at e3 next month. Thats a comparison im looking forward to. If the rumours are true about gamecube backward compatibility and a launch date a couple months after the psp over here (around november). Thats the one i'll put my money on. New gamecube zelda on a handheld... *drools* :cool: Of course im wildly speculating here and maybe i just like to worry sony fanboys ;)

12. Kube

Kube

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +362
    There are loads of rumours circulating about it being gamecube game compatible. Resident Evil 4 would look fantastic on it. We have to wait and see though as Nintendo have never really been a company to match the graphic demands on the market.

13. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    I can't see Nintendo launching two consoles in the same 12 months. There is no way that they are that desparate and personally I think that the DS will do well in it's chosen market. The sales figures for it are already impressive. The PSP is aimed at the older gamer which is a more niche market as older gamers are generally those (like me) who were gaming back in the 80's. There are a lot more kids gaming now than there were back in the 80's so you'd expect the DS to still outsell the PSP (even if it is snapped up by gadget freaks as well). The DS is also half the price of the PSP so they have to sell roughly twice the number of consoles to get the same turnover.

When you consider that the revolution is due to come out next year and the DS was launched last year, there is no way that they will bring out another gameboy for a good 2-3 years IMO. To do so would would just saturate the market.

14. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I think it is a fallacy to believe that Nintendo will release another handheld within 2 or even 3 years, the R&D costs for both the DS and the GBA2 would make it prohibitive.

15. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Talkking about developement of new hardware I have to agree that Nintendo wont have the ability to launch another new handheld for the next couple of years. Nintendo have already admitted that the cant compete in terms of development or technology with Sony or Microsoft.

A recent imterview with a senior member of Nintendo managment highlighted their "Despair" at the current direction of the Video Games market, continually moving towards more powerful hardware and more realistic games. Not surprisingly the interview was pretty much at the same time as the launch of the PSP in Japan.

What he was basically saying is that all that consumers want these days is a more realistic experience and the best possible graphics, they are not paying enough attention to gameplay and innovation - something that Nintendo very much rely upon. It was an interesting article I will see if I can find it.

Its sad really but you really get the impression that the glass is empty over at Nintendo. They havent made any money on their home console hardware in years - both the N64 and Gamecube were abject failures outside of Japan. I think the revolution is their last chance to remain a major player. For years their handheld have subsidised the rest of the business. They have had a monopoly in this area - this is no longer the case.

Unless the DS and revolution do really well I really can see them doing a Sega. Its sad but you must admit it seems like a definate possibility.

16. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    the DS is doing very well, so they seem ok for the time being.

17. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well the DS was doing very well until the PSP was launched. The PSP is outselling the DS week on week in every territory it has been launched in.

Its important to remember it has a significantly higher street price as well. This is a big problem for them, can Nintendo survive as the third player in the home console market and number 2 in the handheld market. Probably not in the long term. Something will have to give.

18. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    It's still early days though. Wait until christmas until we resign the DS to history.

19. snake II

snake II

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    not in japan though check the recent sale figures for the past few weeks the ds in beating it again, but it al goes down to software where is th ds is stronger again, look at software sales across all territories , the psp seems as though it is being bought as a "fashion" assessory and the mpeg 4 playback reasons etc, and yes nintendo may have sold less hardware than the playstaion or even xbox but they have made a profit on all their consoles so looks like they are still in the game, sales do mean something but if your'e not making profit like sony and microsoft who cares about hardware units sold, nintendo have sold more or less the same amount as the xbox but they are in the lead in terms of profit so I think we still have a few more decades of nintendo left, if the worst happens maybe they will link up with sony ? japanese prefer their own to american.

20. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Incidentally Sony does make a profit and a big one last year. Two thirds of that profit came from their video game sales. Breakdown of hardware sales worldwide as of end of last year :

Worldwide Hardware Sales (End of 2004)
    PlayStation 2 - 81.39 million
    Xbox - 19.9 million
    GameCube - 18.03 million
    Game Boy Advance - 65.74 million
    Nintendo DS - 2.84 million
    Sony PSP - 0.51 million
    N-Gage - 1.3 million
    PSone - 101.73 million

North America
    PlayStation 2 - 32.86 million
    Xbox - 13.2 million
    GameCube - 10.11 million

Japan / Asia
    PlayStation 2 - 19.47 million
    Xbox - 1.7 million
    GameCube - 3.78 million

Europe / PAL
    PlayStation 2 - 29.06 million
    Xbox - 5.0 million
    GameCube - 4.13 million

Worldwide
    PlayStation 2 - 81.39 million
    Xbox - 19.9 million
    GameCube - 18.03 million

All Three Consoles
    North America - 56.17 million (47.08%)
    Japan / Asia - 24.95 million (20.91%)
    Europe / PAL - 38.19 million (32.01%)
    Worldwide - 119.32 million

We are going off topic a bit here but it shows the dominance SOny have in home consoles and the relative weakness of Nintendo (Except for the handheld market) Considering Xbox was their first console, the fact it outsold the Gamecube by almost 10% must be a huge worry. Their next console will be first to market and the technology is so superior to the Revolution the gap can only widen from here on in now the Xbox brand is established.

But back to the DS you can see the GBA was a big success with over 65 million sales wordwide. My point was they are not going to repeat that with the DS are they with the PSP breathing down their necks ?

Nintendo rely on their handheld sales to subsidise the home console market and have for many years now.

21. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure where you get those ideas from, whether they have not been the success Nintendo hoped for makes no difference to the fact they made profit.

Nintendo has not once dropped there hardware to a point where they are selling at a loss, not like Sony and Microsoft have, so they do make profit on hardware, and did with both the N64 and gamecube.

22. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats also incorect, not only does the DS have a half million lead over PSP in Japan it is outselling it for the last 4 weeks.

And the fact you seem to forget is the PSP has hardly ever had a title in the top 10 charts in Japan, the DS has had 2 - 3 most weeks.

Sony lose money on hardware with the PSP the last thing they want is people buying for its multimedia features and not buying the games in which the profit comes.

23. snake II

snake II

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Even if sony are making a profit it is only recently because all there console so far have suffered from profit loss, therfore sony are selling consoles at a loss in order to be the dominant force, sure microsoft is ahead of nintendo but look at the game difference I rate nintendo for even being on par in terms of sales, even if the xbox is ahead by a few million units the gamecube games have less genres compared to the xbox but looked how it has fared, nintendo are not losing anything here, the fact that they have damaged some sony sales in japan shows that developers only need to support their systems, by the way sony need to be careful
    now not nintendo, they are in the red in all departments except the games, if it was not for the games department sony would have been in a heck of a problem, and as far as the revolutions specs go ign have commented that some major developers say it is on par with the xbox 360 technical specs who know we will find out when e3 takes place, I myself and thrilled on the prospect of the new xbox and the revolution now. Sony will now be more careful the way they choose to react both nintendo and microsoft are out to do damaged, which is why we see microsoft taking an interest in the ds, rumors suggest a halo in the making.
    But free internet gaming will rule just wait until we see a mario kart online, smash bros, metroid, these titles alone will sell a lot on online, but we will wait and see what happens no point sayign this company is dead until they themselves show like in segas case.

24. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    :boring:
    Can this get back on topic. Hopefully should have a psp sometime next week with copies of Wipeout and Luminies. But agreed with earlier posts, comparing the DS to the PSP is not really fair, i think Nintendo have taken the wise option and released a stop gap and a cheap alternative to parents not wanting to spend £200 each for johnny and jack when £200 will get 2 DS. Whilst they get GBA2 right

25. Kube

Kube

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +362
    I think one of the major elements for Nintenod is the robustness of the DS compared to the PSP. I reckon the DS could take a few knocks and maybe drops pretty unharmed, mainly due to the clam shell design but also the materials.

I know some have on this board but i wouldnt let a child play with a PSP. One small drop and its going to be in a million pieces. I think Nintendo will hold onto the kids market easily.

i also reckon the PSP is mugging material.

26. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Absolutely. When they are launched over here can you imagine the mini crime wave particualrly in the south.

I agree. The big screen is nice but its a massive weak spot. If you drop one on a hard floor, the pavement for example its definately the end of it. A good hardcase is an essential purchase I recon.

27. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    Definately - I wouldn't walk about the streets with mine that's for sure!

28. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    If these are correct then europe buys more consoles than Jap/Asia. Why are we still left until last when new stuff is realeased?

29. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I thought Japan and asia was a much bigger market for VG than it now appears to be to be. It was from a reliable source - maybe its down to the size of the distribution area, the number of countires involved.

Europe always gets shafted on New Sony Hardware releases. I guess they know they can get away with it.

30. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I'd love to see someone try to mug me!

As for comparing PSP to DS, why isn't that fair? They are both handheld consoles, and although they differ, most people will only pick one, and I intended my original post to be a simple guide to give people who have neither an idea about both consoles from someone who both owns both consoles and doesn't work for nintendo or sony, or take backhanders like some many official reviewers do!