1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony PSP MP3 Playback Quality

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by loonatic, Apr 16, 2005.

1. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Got my PSP the other day and have been pretty impressed by the quality of it's MP3 playback but I have nothing to compare it to...was going to buy an iPod or one of the new Sony players but might just get a 1GB memory stick now instead.

So what do others think ? and has anyone compared it to say an iPod ?

Cheers, Lee

2. drlau9

drlau9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    To be honest mate, they are two different items. One cannot possibly compare a decent music player to an Entertainment Machine. It's abit like comparing a Steinway & Sons Grand Piano to a Yamaha PSR keyboard.

But one thing I did compare it to, is the Nintendo DS with CF adaptor. Meaning the DS had music, video, and games in one. Overall the quality of the screen is much better on the PSP providing more colour 16,000,000 I believe whilst the DS had 65,000 that's 16 bit I think.
    Although the DS is running 32bit graphics (buffer?) the psp has a powerful processor churning out max 333mhz, enabling graphics handling smoother and faster. Both machines did not lag, but I did somewhat hope that the PSP would jolt as it needs to read from a disk... Seems like I've been mistaken. The design of the DS is boring silver with easy to rub of paint, compared to the clear plastic of the psp with black backgroud it seems that the psp is much better in Quality and style. However the major advantage of the DS is that it is protect from screen breakages. Pitty sony didn't supply a hard case. As with many complaints about their 'dead pixels' I think they'll be pretty ****** off about broken screens. I would of thought that they are running low on Sharp lcd's. Btw Talking about screens, the DS has a touch screen enabling you to 'touch to shoot' but only on metroid demo... pitty....

Verdict I would think my PSP is better as it has a huge screen, which doesn't contribute to eye strain... The screen of the DS is reminecent to those of Gameboy Advance SP. And the PSP graphics quality is that of the PS2, but at a smaller ratio. Put the PSP graphis on a 42" plasma, I think it's a different story.

P.s. Ipods are music players, and I regard them as a fashion accessory nothing else, look to colour hdd players like archos etc. NOT ipod PHOTO, they don't play videos. :rolleyes:

Have fun,

dr.

3. drlau9

drlau9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Anyone want to swap my Ridge Racer Japanese for another one? I'm looking for Need for Speed Rivals, Metal destruction or whatever it's called?

I'm based in Northamptonshire, Midlands.. Kettering. If that helps.

dr.

4. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Of course you can compare them. They are both playing mp3's arent they? He wanted to know what the sound quality is comparable to, not which has the better Graphics engine Or which has a prettier display.

He is asking if an ipod sounds noticably better, and if anybody has both and has compared them. It's a perfectly sensible comparison.

5. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,819
    I've listened to quite a few MP3 players and they all sound generally the same IMO. WIth digital players it's really the quality of the MP3 recording that defines how good it sounds as well as earphones/speakers.

The PSP sounds just as good as our lasses iPod, my mates Sony mp3 player and others that i've listened to. I actually find the PSP headphones to be pretty good as well, although i'm sure there's some audiophille types out there who can hear things that us mere mortals can not.

6. drlau9

drlau9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Oh yeah,, It was late, didn't read it right... well....

yeah agreed with Gthom3, all digital players have the same quality. It's just what type of bit rate you use. Ipod takes slightly longer to read compared to flash memory cards.

You still have a small review :D

dr.