1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony PSP and Dead Pixel Issues

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Ekko Star, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    I got myself a Jap one and it has no DP's. Luckily the guy was a UK seller and we had to go through 5 boxes to get to a clean one. I'm glad I didn't order from overseas as this would really have been a lottery !

All the others had 1 DP, either Red, White or Green and they were near the edges of the screen. In actual fact looking at them didn't cause the bother I was expecting eg TFT monitors, but it is always nice to have something perfect I guess !

Has anybody had any DP's develop over time ? Is this issue still a major one.

To be fair the screen attracts so much dust, one DP really wouldn't cause me an issue if it was to happen.

On my DS I had to change it twice from ToysRUs. It had green stuck one in the middle of the screen. Which on a smaller screen in the middle is a bigger issue.

Thoughts appreciated !

2. artois

artois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Got a Japanese psp aswell from a uk seller on ebay which had checked it for all the know issues. I was Fortunate enough to recieve a perfect one also. I have had it a couple of months now and no probs with dead pixels forming. Screen protectors are good at keeping of the dust as they dont seem to attract it as badly for some reason.

3. dr_loss

dr_loss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    had mine since december and no dead pixels, dusty than an old mans armpit but i have some fingers and a sleeve that are pretty effective at sorting that.

4. drlau9

drlau9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yup, same here, but I was buying for 2. So I quickly swapped them over :rotfl: Anyway, that was the main issue with psp's and the square button issue, and problems with ejection plate. Well I guess I've got a good unit, so best treat it with care.

Treat it like a lady.......

dr.

5. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,122
    I've got 3 on mine now - although there were none that I could see when I first got the machine. They only show up on black backgrounds and you have to be pretty close to the screen (and looking for them) to notice them. I can't say that they represent any sort of problem for me personally and you never notice them when playing a game, in the PSP menu or watching video. If I had loads then it may be a factor but as it is I can't understand people getting upset about them. I probably would have never noticed them if i'd not read about them :D .

6. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,371
    My PSP has a single dead pixel in the bottom right hand corner of the screen and like many you dont even see it unless its against a black background.
    I do have a slight problem with the loading tray though, some games when ejected come out far enough so I can easily remove them but others dont come out far at all and I have to reach inside and pull out the disc, dont know if this is a fault with the tray or the discs as not all get stuck.
    Either way it loads fine and I have enjoyed many hours of Wipeout Pure and now that I have 4 new games I predict the PSP is going to need charging a few more times before the week is out.

7. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,523
    USA one with no dead pixels. When i inspected it really closely i did note a imperfection or dust mote under the screen, but totally unnoticable under normal scrutiny.

I've since added on a screen-protector, as i was concerned about scratches etc, and i feel safer (whether thats true or not...), it dosent smudge or pickup dust as easy, and is certainly easier to clean. It's this one: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-be-70-gsk.html non-adhesive / goes on by static, and dosent seem to suffer from the problems of the other two mroe expesive ones (reduced clarity / brightness, difficulty in application).

8. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I think you have to be really bloody anal to care about dead pixels, I had a look at mine, I have 6 or 7, but you only notice them on a black screen, and that is very rare, and it is so small, you really have to strain to notice it.

You need a life TBH if you are getting upset about it.

9. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,122
    Indeed GG this has been my view for some time. I really can't see why anyone get's upset by this as you virtually have to have your face glued to the screen to actually see them. Due to some of the anal ramblings on this forum about this issue I checked mine and there are about 3 that i've seen but to be honest if i'd not read this forum I doubt that i'd ever have noticed them.

You are always going to get them (mine had none when the unit first arrived) but they do not detract from the unit even in the slightest. Whilst they are a factor on an LCD PJ (due to the size of the diplayed pixels) they are not a problem at all on the PSP.

10. pmwhelan

pmwhelan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Finally someone said it! :D

Me too. I've about 5 dead pixels. They're noticeable on a white background but not when I'm flying into a wall on Wipeout Pure :)

p

11. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    5 or 6 dead ones ? Guys you sure you aren't saying this is ok because your machines have got that many ? 1 or 2 maybe but not as many as that ! I think even Sony is happy to exchange it at 5 or 6. If they were clustered centre of the screen how can it not ruin the psp experience ? :confused:

12. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,122
    Generally they are spread about and only visable on a black background. This means that during a game they are invisible and therefore not a problem. :thumbsup:

13. Kube

Kube

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +362
    I have 3 beside each other and i never notice them and they in no way take way from any experience. I use to play my MSX on a black and white 13" portable TV, so im happy with my PSP's screen.

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,122
    Folk will always find something to moan about :rolleyes: . Just enjoy it for the marvel that it is :thumbsup: .

15. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I have 6 all in the top left, but they are only visible if the screen is on and totally black. They are smaller than a grain of sand anyway, it doesnt bother me.

16. digitalsafari

digitalsafari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I have 2 dead (stuck on white) pixels on my US unit I bought last week in Las Vegas.

Practically everywhere in Las Vegas was sold out and I got the last unit from Best Buy.

Walmart, Target, EB, Gamestop, Frys and Circuit City all sold out.

Later found out there is a Sony Style store at Casers Palace, which had stock.

17. tom_g

tom_g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i've got about 8 that don't show black, all lower right corner.

the pixels are so small you can only see them when looking hard at a totally black screen.

they do not detract from the gaming experience in ANYWAY AT ALL.

the screen has 480 x 272 pixels = 130,080 (if that's how you work it out?)

8 out of 130,080 pixels is some percentage like 0.0000000001% taken away from you gaming experience.

WHY didn't sony design a screen that didn't get smears and fingerprints on it eh??? they are more likely to annoy you than a couple of dead pixels.

T

18. GBrent

GBrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This dead pixel thing sounds fairly serious!! Are Sony doing anyhting about it??

19. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,122
    It's actually not very serious at all and has been blown well out of proportion. Anyone who actually worries about having a few dead pixels on the PSP should count themselves lucky that that's all they have to worry about :D . They are not a problem and do not detract from gameplay what so ever.

20. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I bought 2 US PSP. First one has no dead pixels. The second one I have actually sold to a forum member. I got it out to test it with my battery and game. It had one dead pixel from what I could see.

At the end of the day given the price of these things I would have thought that most will either come with dead pixels or develope over time. They are not using expensive screens in these things.

I really dont see why people get so upset about it they are normally not visible during normal use. In the US dead pixels are not even covered by the warranty. This is clearly explained in the documentation that comes with the PSP. It sounds like Sony are trying to push this policy worldwide so expect to see the same sort of thing over here if they can get away with it.

For Plasma Screens, LCD Sets and Projectors in the UK many retailers wont even consider changing unless it has a minimum of 7 dead or active pixels.
    Some wont exchange at all however many an item may have.

They are an expected defect of this type of technology. Thats just how it is. If you are not happy with this dont buy one, or pay over the odds for one that has been checked.