Sony PSLX 300 USB Turntable (low signal).

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by RichD, Jun 30, 2015.

1. RichD

RichD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello Everyone,

I wonder if you might be able to help.

My dad has bought a Sony PSLX 300 USB turntable. When we tested it at my house (going into a Marantz PM6004 amplifier and Pro-Ject Box 5 speakers) it sounded just fine, similar to my own turntable.

My dad has now set it up at his home, going into a NAD amplifier and Linn Nexus speakers. The turntable can be heard, but the volume needs to be turned up very high to hear it on a level similar to the other inputs (CD player and music from Ipad via Bluetooth adapter), despite the fact that the turntable is connected to the dedicated turntable input, which, presumably, includes a built-in preamplifier. This is strange, as usually the turntable level is louder than other inputs in my experience.

It might be worth mentioning that the amplifier has, perhaps, never been used to play records in the past.

Just wondering if anybody might be able to advise. Perhaps an external preamplifier would be the solution?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you very much.

Best wishes.

Rich.

2. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    There is a phono/line switch. If connected to the phono inputs of the amp this needs to set to phono, if connected to Aux or similar then it needs to be set to line. P7 of your manual.

3. RichD

RichD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Dear Larkone,

Thank you very much for your reply. I have passed this information to my dad. Hopefully this will be the solution, which means no need to spend £20 or more on a preamplifier.

Many thanks.

Best wishes.

Rich.