• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

sony ps3 or sony BDP-S360?

akin23uk

Standard Member
Hey guys, im new and i wanted to join this forum to ask for some help.

I am wanting to buy a blu ray player in the next few weeks. Ive been looking around and the best blu ray player out ther for £150 would be the Sony S360.
However for an extra £100 i can get the ps3 slim, which can support live and has wifi.

I wont be using the ps3 to play games on, i will just be using the blu ray player.
Is the quality any better on the ps3 or the S360??

many thanks

Fistynuts

Standard Member
Well for a start, the S360 has Live support if you plug at least a 1Gb memory stick in the back.

I can't compare with a PS3 as I don't have one but I've found the quality from the S360 to be great for Blu-rays. For DVDs I prefer the images from my Denon - the upscaling seems to be slightly better. Certainly since the S360 is 100 quid cheaper than the PS3 I couldn't come up with a good reason to get the PS3 instead, as like you I wasn't interested in the PS3 for games.

Hope this helps :)

mr.black79

If your not going to be playing games then I’d go for the bdp360. The PS3 can be heard operating during quiet film scenes which is distracting. People tend to go for standalone players as their near silent.

Blu ray picture quality will be the same, their bound to handle motion just as well. Both can decode HD surround and then send it via HDMI to an amp. All your missing with the bdp360 is wifi, which you may get around with a wifi dongle. I’ve not looked into it myself as I’m not keen on BD live.

welshy

I've never seen a PS3 in action but I do own the S360 and it is also BD-Live, profile 2.0 enabled. So I can't say whether the PS3 is as good as the S360 or not but I doubt it's any better.

So to answer your question ask youself if £100 extra for the PS3 is worth it for wi-fi alone? Wired Ethernet is better for reliablility anyway and how often will you use this feature?

You said that you would not be using it for games so I would get the S360 and use the £100 for blu-ray discs :smashin:

Rom

Don't forget the BDP360 can be hacked for region free DVD playback - which the PS3 can't. I'd say go for the BDP360 player. If wireless is that important you can always buy a wireless bridge for it.

Fistynuts

Standard Member
Don't forget the BDP360 can be hacked for region free DVD playback - which the PS3 can't. I'd say go for the BDP360 player. If wireless is that important you can always buy a wireless bridge for it.

Also I believe the Ethernet-over-power kits are pretty good these days, which is an option I'm considering as wireless is very weak in the corner of the room where the cinema kit is.

Uridium

Distinguished Member
I don't have a BDP360 but i do have both a BDP350 and a PS3. If you are ONLY going to use it for Bluray movies then get the BDP360.
If however you think you could make use of some of the PS3's other features (Video/Music/Photo streaming/Play TV/Gaming/Vidzone/BBC iPlayer/Web Browser) then it's worth taking a look. As a single box entertainment cen tre the PS3 makes some compelling arguments.

The BDP360 doesn't have Wi-Fi for ONE reason alone and that is price. nothing to do with reliability or speed it's purely down to cost. a wired NIC is cheaper to build in.

As i said though for purely Disc based Movie playback I'd go for a standalone.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom