Sony ps3 been hacked finally !!

DELUCAS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"I'm geohot

I have read/write access to the entire system memory, and HV level access to the processor. In other words, I have hacked the PS3. The rest is just software. And reversing. I have a lot of reversing ahead of me, as I now have dumps of LV0 and LV1. I've also dumped the NAND without removing it or a modchip.

3 years, 2 months, 11 days...thats a pretty secure system

Took 5 weeks, 3 in Boston, 2 here, very simple hardware cleverly applied, and some not so simple software. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mmmmmm region free A-B-C and region 123456 etc

plus a load more mods will be coming .

fingers crossed :smashin:

Last edited:
Congratulations, thats an amazing achievement.
I wish I could understand all of it.
Is region coding implemented with software?

Nick

I am only presuming what geohot would be able to do if and when he totally hacks the PS3 !!

and of course a whole lot more .

but sony will only update with another firmware to try and block it but this chap is clever enough he will get round it ! :smashin:

Is region coding implemented with software?
Yes, PC BD drives have no device region setting for BD, only for the DVD part.

For those that can remember, when the Samsung BD-P1000 was first released, they forgot to add the region check to the software. Unfortunately keeping that firmware wasn't practical if you wanted to play most new discs...

Also PowerDVD was pretty easy to change region on as it held the count of region changes for BD in a file that could easily be deleted.

Whether someone can reverse engineer the PS3... well, I guess we'll see.

Yes, PC BD drives have no device region setting for BD, only for the DVD part.

For those that can remember, when the Samsung BD-P1000 was first released, they forgot to add the region check to the software. Unfortunately keeping that firmware wasn't practical if you wanted to play most new discs...

Also PowerDVD was pretty easy to change region on as it held the count of region changes for BD in a file that could easily be deleted.

Whether someone can reverse engineer the PS3... well, I guess we'll see.

Long Ago when Sky Satellite TV was young, and also Analogue, it used to be possible to use a software Hack through a fairly basic PC to decode their Systems and thus gain Free Satellite TV. Of course they would crack the code breaking software and thus you had to update the software over the Internet that was also Young at that pre 21st Century time ... well it was a puppy chasing its own tail process and was very amusing whist it lasted - which wasn't long when Sky moved to digital and exhausted the amateur .. longing to be recruited by Sky :D .. Hackers resources.

If people fancy their chances against the PS3s systems then that sounds like FUN .. I couldn't do it, but what the Hell, if others can succeed against the Multi National Corporations Legion of Very Clever People who are Paid fat salaries .. for a given mainland Chinese value for Fat Salaries .. then I can't quarrel with the principle. I'll believe it when I see it though, and I wouldn't pay a Chinese Equivalent of Penny for the software until the principle is prov en. :devil:

We could consider the possibility that DELUCAS longs to be recruited by Sony ? But that would be an insult to the Spirit of the non-conformist Anarchist. Lets see if Sony and their collaborators can crack DELUCAS system shall we ? If he has cracked it then DELUCAS will be world famous in a heartbeat ... and can name his own price.

Arnold.

We could consider the possibility that DELUCAS longs to be recruited by Sony ? But that would be an insult to the Spirit of the non-conformist Anarchist. Lets see if Sony and their collaborators can crack DELUCAS system shall we ? If he has cracked it then DELUCAS will be world famous in a heartbeat ... and can name his own price.

just to get things straight its not me but a clever chap named geohot

that has cracked the ps3 and good luck to him :smashin:

A litle more hard information has appeared ...

Original iPhone Hacker Cracks PlayStation3 - Video Game News - TrustedReviews

" Three years is one heck of a long time to remain unhacked in the technology world, but it was inevitable the PlayStation 3 would fall eventually ...

Taking this notable scalp is US hacker George Hotz and, if his name sounds familiar, he was the then-teenager who famously first hacked the iPhone (generation one). How long had he been working on the PS3 hack? Five weeks. "It's supposed to be unhackable - but nothing is unhackable," Hotz explained to BBC News. "I can now do whatever I want with the system. It's like I've got an awesome new power - I'm just not sure how to wield it." "

It certainly looks promising.

For me Multi Region on Blu-ray and DVD is the only thing for me.

Pirated games he can keep. Not interested one bit.

Time will tell soon enough.

neuty

The only awesome power here is Sony, can't seem much happening with this tbh :(

The only awesome power here is Sony, can't seem much happening with this tbh :(

Apple has a bit of power too and couldnt touch the lad over the iPhone. He's a clever guy, he will release what needs released and let others 'take over' the reigns.

Pirate games are of no interest, the mkv playability, blu-ray multiregion and maybe a bit of homebrew would be nice.

and after how long I have never seen an Iphone that was hacked. Any one who has seen a PS3 knows it is a robust device, non hackable no, but does anyone think that Sony will do nothing? I would not bet against it!

I don't profess to know much about this, but

and after how long I have never seen an Iphone that was hacked

Doesn't mean it hasn't been done.
And I see loads of questions about "jailbreaking".
Isn't that what we're talking about?

but does anyone think that Sony will do nothing? I would not bet against it!

Of course they'll do something about it.
Same as Nintendo with the Wii and Microsoft with the Xbox.
But whatever they do, it probably won't last long.

Once something is cracked, it's usually a game of cat and mouse, from what I've seen.

I did read someone making a valid point though and it was about how long it's taken.
How far are we away from PS4? (I don't know).
But the point was that if it's taking 3 years, it's hardly worth doing given that Sony work on a 4(?) year product cycle.

I don't think the product cycle or time taken is a problem, look how popular the original Xbox was when hacked, long after the 360 release. Sony biggest problem IMO is that this could yet again lead to more console sales to people who will never buy a game. Which doesn't work when they loose money on the hardware.

Not necessarily due to being able to play pirated games but because it may well be even more attractive as a home media center without Sony holding it back :D

This mod when released and of course fully working will sell by the bucket loads end off !

my friend is on her 3rd ds lite and buying the new ds because it has been modded so...

I will be buying 2x ps3 purley because it will do everything that you can think off and more .

its amazing what homebrew mods can do :devil:

more inf :

Hotz has not revealed the how exploit goes. "The theory isn't really patchable, but they can make implementations much harder. Also, for obvious reasons I can't post dumps. I'm hoping to find the decryption keys and post them, but they may be embedded in hardware. Hopefully keys are setup like the iPhone's KBAG," he said.

The hack, which took about five weeks, could allow others to run pirated games or homemade software. In addition, it would allow people to play older PS2 games on their consoles.

Sony said it was "investigating the report" and would "clarify the situation" when it had more information, in a comment with BBC.

Last edited:
and after how long I have never seen an Iphone that was hacked. Any one who has seen a PS3 knows it is a robust device, non hackable no, but does anyone think that Sony will do nothing? I would not bet against it!

Just as I thought, the guy released just enough last night for the other ps3 lads to take over and develop.

Sony will of course try and combat it, but just like the PSP, its a game of cat and mouse, I don't see the PS3 being any different. Do you ?

Sony will of course try and combat it, but just like the PSP, its a game of cat and mouse, I don't see the PS3 being any different. Do you ?

Yes I probably I do see it differently, just because Sony have played this game before and are wiser on how to play it.

Yes I probably I do see it differently, just because Sony have played this game before and are wiser on how to play it.

You might be right Nic.
Me, I just love it when multi-nationals are outwitted.
It's the rebel in me, I guess.

It's not the piracy side of it and I don't even own a PS3, but I just love them thinking they've got something sewn up and then they discover they haven't.

It'll be fun watching, whatever, imo.

Finally a decent game for the PS3 !! :devil:

Pretty much everything can be hacked these days so I'm not sure what Sony can do that's different?

we all love it when the small guy 'sticks' it to the big faceless multinational but don't forget Sony planned for this post PSP etc, as did the Blu ray guys with all their 'teeth' non of which have been deployed yet. It might make an interesting scrap, let's just hope innocent bystanders are not caught up in this.

Hackers will always be a step ahead, it is the nature of the 'game', I wonder whether Sony will use the Law or be more inventive with their influence. Fun times...:devil:

zulm.net • View topic - PS3 Mod-Chip comed

Belzar PS3 Modchip
The Belzar modchip beta 2, has now been sent out to our 50 beta testers, for final bug testing

* Works on all PS3 models
* Works on all PS3 regions (USA, JAP, PAL,)
* Direct Boot of PS3 original, import, and backup (copied) games
* Direct Boot of PS2 original, import, and backup (copied) games
* Supports multi-region Blueray Movie Playback
* Supports multi-region DVD Movie Playback
* No config disc needed - it just works!
* Transparent stealth operation
* Integrates proven belzar Intelligent Code Modifying System
* No awkward USB interface - just insert DVD and play!
* Supportsall upto date titles
* Ultra-low power consumption; does not interfere with normal PS3 operation
* Only 12 wires to solder
* No external PC/laptop needed
* completely upgradeable firmware, via Belzars usb 2.0 interface

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom