sony ps3 backward compatability poor?

if you have a ps2 you might as well keep it.
the annoying thing is it was one of sonys big selling points.
we will have full compatability unlike the xbox 360 where they have had to it via software

its not as clear but i dont see it as a major problem.

most people love the fact that games are backwards compatible but few people make full use out of it. i for one very rarely used my ps1 games once i had a decent ps2 collection.

if i remember right the ps3 currently has the same hardware in it as the ps2 does for the only purpose of playing ps1/2 games. in the future it should all be emulated (slim line PS3), on that basis all games should work. dont know if it'll be fixable via firmware or not

sony has a list of games with issues i think, most of which they way will be firmware fixable...interesting about the image quality though, i think that might get moved up the fix list..

Its surprising though, given that the PS3 was delayed supposedly due to problems with the blu ray aspect of it, that there is anything on the console side that needs a fix.

Its surprising though, given that the PS3 was delayed supposedly due to problems with the blu ray aspect of it, that there is anything on the console side that needs a fix.

this whole thing of the console being ready and bluray holding it up is wrong i think, i think the whole thing has taken far longer to develope, and thats why its incomplete when released. Given time i think the problems will be ironed out. When we finally see some consoles i think the majority of the issues will be resolved.

I know we can't really believe anything Sony say these days, but the bluray drive was blamed for the delay in March.

From 14/03/2006, http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3148763
"Sony says issues over the finalization of copy protection technology related to their Blu-ray disc drive is the cause of the delay."

I know we can't really believe anything Sony say these days, but the bluray drive was blamed for the delay in March.

From 14/03/2006, http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3148763
"Sony says issues over the finalization of copy protection technology related to their Blu-ray disc drive is the cause of the delay."

but if that was the case, there wouldnt be any of these other issues would there..they would have had all this time to get it right, unless they couldnt do the whole job without the bluray drive?

but if that was the case, there wouldnt be any of these other issues would there..they would have had all this time to get it right, unless they couldnt do the whole job without the bluray drive?

That was the point I was making, sony must have had systems up and running a long time ago with or without a blu ray drive, so if it was ready in march apart from the drive then the console shouldn't be having these teething problems now, so I think it is another case of Sony being economical with the truth.

I thought backwards compatability meant something works without faults i.e without freezing, audio problems, crashing, frame rate problems etc. To me it looks like poorer performance rather than incompatability. This is probably down to the PS2 chip in the PS3 not working efficiently.
I remember when I got my PS2 PSOne games actually looked worse because I could see faint lines running through the screen and a slight shift in picture position. I just thought "meh, not important". Obviously for some it is.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom