1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Projection KP41 DS1

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Marathon, Apr 20, 2001.

1. Marathon

Marathon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I am thinking of buying a Sony rear projection TV and wondered if any one else one.
    Are they any good or should I buy a non projection one?
    Given that it costs £2000 am I doing the right thing!!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    James

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    This set does have it's problems, but doesnt sound as bad as the Toshiba Rp set's discussed on this forum.
    Do a search on Sony kp41 ds1 on this forum and see what you can find.
    The main fault is Horizontal smearing of bright object's.

Tim

3. matthew jenner

matthew jenner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have this model, it is a great tv with a good picture, it is not digital sound or anything fantastic,it is a good tv with some features,the only downer on it , is you have to wait for an upgrade for you to be able to recieve pay per view channels,aparently an engineer comes out to fit a cam in the back which enables you to insert the smart card, i have been waiting for this upgrade since i bought the tv in dixons in November 2000. So i would recommend a projection tv but do not go for an integrated tv, they are alot less in cost as they give the decoder top box away free

4. matthew jenner

matthew jenner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    regarding Sony projection tv,
    I seem to have got on some films an annoying blue line down the left hand side of the screen, i have tried using the convergance feature, it seems to do it on certain disks,dinosaur , mission imp 2, and a few others, any ideas or is it a case of using the extended garuntee? :(

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    You have waited far to long for the cam upgrade, phone ondigital and hassle them for a cam, also phone the sony digital helpline and get the software upgrade, which also involves a chip upgrade in the set.
    Those prat's at Ondigital have sent me a second cam and another account number, they haven't got a clue.

Tim

6. matthew jenner

matthew jenner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Tim i will do this,

matt

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased a K41DSI and have had nothing but pleasure from it.It always gives a sharp clean picture fed from an analogue or digital source fed to either the RGB or SVHS inputs.Check out the DVD of A Bugs Life to show the picture at it`s best.I demo`d a Toshiba and it came nowhere near.The other bonus is that it is an integrated digital set-When I heard that the C.A.M. was available, I contacted my retailer, Scottish Power, and within 10 days I had the C.A.M. delivered and the Sony engineer upgraded a circuit board to accept it-everything works fine and ther is now an extra sub-menu on the set up page.My advice is to buy one, but to be sure try comparing sets and take some DVD`s with you.

8. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Matt....Have you tried to set the convergence manually?
    The reason I ask is, my niece nocked my set the other day and it seemed to nock out the convergence at the bottom of the screen, I tried to fix it with the Auto convergence behind the tv's flap, this didn't work, so I went into the menu and did it manually and all is fine now.
    The easiest way is to set it with white text paused on the screen.

Good luck

Tim

9. Marathon

Marathon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0