1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY PROGRESSiVE HOW GOOD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Chaos Star, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Chaos Star

Chaos Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Im am intrested in the sony 730 for use with my PT 100.

If the internals are the same in the 930 and 730, QS badge or not the players should display the same picture, infact the 730 may be better as it has less internal componentry (DTS,DD,SACD as previously discussed)

I have heard that both the 930 and 730 have had excellent reviews for their picture quality. I have also read posts from form members saying that at the same price point a non progressive scan dvd player will have a better picture than a budget progressive scan player.

So with regards to the Sony 730, what has a better picture, a similarly priced no progressive player or the 730.

My bets on the 730 as I have grasped that it is the first budget progressive scan player that is actually superior to standard players.

Can anyone verify this with actual viewing experience and not hear say.

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Well i've had the 930 for a while now and I think I can make a fair judgement over PQ. It is able to resolve detail upto 6.25mhz (the full resolution of dvd) horizontally. Deinterlacing performance is fair, but not spectacular as I first thought. Some PAL film DVDs upset the deinterlacer and make it switch between 2:2 pull down and video mode deinterlacing, which creates flickering horizontal streaks. This only happens with a few DVDs (the same dvd's look fine on my PC with forced weave deinterlacing). When it's locked onto 2:2 the picture quality is generally excellent. Chroma decoding is also very good, on the snell & wilcox mpeg decoder test the blue and yellow circle is nice and smooth, and the red/bluegreen circle has a tiny bit of horizontal pixellation but it's pretty good. In real use, red WARNING test is perfectly displayed and i've never noticed chroma problems while watching DVDs.

3. Chaos Star

Chaos Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Sounds reasonably good, so would you reccomend it over a standard player at that price point. Or should I wait longer untill progressive becomes the norm, I would say in the next 6 months most manufactures will have decent cheap progressive players as an option.

4. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    If the 730 has the same picture as the 930, I doubt you'll be able to do better for the price... still, it'd be interesting to see what Panasonic and others come up with...

5. Chaos Star

Chaos Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Yep I think I will bide my time on progressive scan at the moment :)