1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Powershot P100 ??? help please

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by fuzzybee, Oct 19, 2004.

1. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I am after a bit of advise, i've been thinking of getting a digital camera for months now and i like the looks of the Sony powershot P100.
    I had a look at one in Currys on Sunday and it looked and felt great, it seems to have all the features i'm after 5.1 million pixels 3x optical zoom video with audio capable, rechargable batterys etc.
    I can get one off the tinternet for around £220, has anybody got one or has used one ?
    If so what do you think of it :lesson:

Thanks in advance

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  3. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    keanyboy

Thanks for the links to the reviews, i think i'm going to go for one :thumbsup:

4. bigNeil

bigNeil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  5. hi_robb

hi_robb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lo there m8,

I bought one of these cameras a couple of weeks ago. I looked around and decided that for the price the sony was one of the best. It looks good, feels good and has loads and loads of features. Actually It's got so many that It's going to take me quite a while to work out what they all are and what they do.

It's fairly small too.

The battery life on this thing is amazing, a few friends of mine have kodak digital cameras which take normal batteries and they eat them like there's no tomorrow.

This thing lasts for days and days on a charge. I've only actually charged it twice in 2 weeks and I have taken quite a few photos so far.

As for ease of use, it's a doddle. I'm no photographer, I've never had a camera up until this one so ease of use was a big thing for me. With the sony you put it on auto and just point and click, it sorts all the exposure levels and light levels out and flash etc for you.

You'll obviously need to get a bigger memory stick as the 32MB one which comes with it isn't all that big so budget for that to.

There's 3 slight down point which I've found to it. 1: The LCD while good is a little on the dark side so you can take a pic and think it looks too dark but on transfer find it looks fine, not really a complaint but something to be aware of before deleting a pic thinking it's not right.

2: The red eye reduction isn't the best on it, I've found that I get red eye even with the setting on.

3: It's not firewire and uses the slower USB interface to transfer stuff.

Other than that it's a great camera and takes some wonderful photos even on the auto setting. I'm sure though I can get stunning results once I've learnt a bit about photography and understand things like exposure time etc.

Buy it with confidence matey.

Dave

6. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    HI,

I've had the Special Edition Black version PSC-120 for about 3 months now, and the only real issue I have with it is the Auto Focus in Low Light Level enviroments. It can really struggle to find focus and you end up with a blurry out of focus shot, which you can't always see is out of focus on the LCD. This does prove quite annoying if it's a one in a million type shot, now I take a couple of shots at at time if I think the camera will struggle.

Other than this I think it is a great little camera, compact, as said great battery life and capable of producing some stunning shots.

Giz.

7. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I ended up getting one from RGB direct for £209.99 i did pay £10 extra for next day delivery, it arrived yesterday.
    I haven't had much time to play with it as i'm on late nights this week but from what i have seen so far it's a very impressive piece of kit.
    It looks great feels solid and certainly seems a doddle to use, just what i wanted so i'm very happy.
    The quality of picture is also superb, it looks very good when viewed on my 42inch plasma, the E-mail/VGA option is also a bonus as i do sell stuff on ebay etc (i may stick another photo on the plasma thread just for the hell of it)
    All in all for someone who knows nothing about photograhy i'm very happy with my purchase :thumbsup:

8. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I'm about to put my order in today. The only thing holding me back is whether to go for the DSC W1 instead. It has exactly the same electronics and lens but has a larger 2.5 inch LCD screen and also has a lamp to assist with autogfocus in low light conditions. The downside is that it is thicker and taller but shorter than the P100. The whole reason for going for the P100 in the first place was its handbag friendliness (for my wife - not me!) so the shape and size are important.

Has anyone compared these two cameras and have any suggestions or comments? I cannot access them here to feel for myself so I have to go by what I read.

9. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The W1 is the better camera, you will get better indoor focusing with the af lamp. I tell you you now it is better to have one. The W1 has more manual control to if that matters to you ( it should in my opinion) My friend has the W1 its a take anyway where camera. Not big at all

So my vote out of the two though both very good compacts is the W1.

the p100 is 108 x 51.5 x 26.6 mm the w1 is 91 x 60 x 36mm. Now thats not a great Difference is size. But the the difference in features is larger with the w1

10. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    The link above indicates that the P100 does have an autofocus lamp, despite Gizmo's comments! Very confusing.

Manual functions are not important to me as I will be getting a dSLR at some stage (another thread!).

Mmmmm.....

Got to decide real soon.

11. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh well actually it does have one you're right. Well i guess if manual features arent needed, maybe the 100 is the one to edge for due to its size (though slight) difference.

I prefer the W1 myself, always better to have more scope imo, and with only a £1 between them. I think the W1s the better buy

12. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    I never said it didn't have a AF Lamp, just that the camera struggles to find focus some of the time in low light level conditions.

I Still think it's a good camera.

Giz.

13. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I have now been playing with the P100 for a few days and it's superb, it's small a doddle to use the battery last ages and the pictures are fantastic in any light :thumbsup:

14. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Just noticed this thread.

I've just bought the DSC-P120 Black Special Edition from dabs. Had an Olympus 2 Mp camera, but got the urge to change my camera when I heard about a special offer on the DSC-P8 for £99.99 at toysrus. Thankfully they'd sold out (wasn't really better enough to justify the purchase).

But I now had the bug to change the camera anyway. Spent a while searching the net and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the DSC-P120 for just £225.

Firstly, I loved the black finish. Then consider the fact you're getting a spare battery (£49) + case (£24) for really no extra money on top of the DSC-P100 price! Blimey, the P100 was retailing at £350 not long ago!

Got two more bargains to go with this:

Sony branded 256mb Memory Stick PRO (only the PRO version allows 30 fps video at 640 resolution) for £35 inc del from the US via ebay.

and

Sony CSSPHA (or CSS-PHA) docking station with infared remote (normally £65) for £35 from unbeatable. Pricing error???

My wife is going nuts with me at moment, as I'm about to buy a Sony dvd recorder soon as well.

15. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Well I decided to go with the P120 from ajpurdy for 229.

I have a problem though and don't quite know what to do. A friend of mine here had offered to buy it on my behalf and have it delivered to his mother in B'ham, who is travelling here on Friday and would bring the camera with her. That is the reason why I had to confirm by Sunday which I did. The ajpurdy website quite clearly stated that the item was in stock. After purchase an automated response was received from them confirming the order, that the item was in stock and was despatched. Yesterday I got an e-mail from the manager stating that they only expect the stock in this week and that it would be despatched after that. This means that the camera will be delivered too late to be brought to me. Had I known this, I would have shopped elsewhere or bought from a retail outlet.

What can I do about it?

16. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well i think you can ask for a refund mate as you orderd it on the basis that it was in stock, so the faults with them.

17. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    surprise, surprise. The camera (P120) was delivered on time and has been brought to me this weekend. I haven't had time to put it through its paces yet. Initial impressions - very compact and smart enough. This was the main requirement. The downside is that it is a bit fiddly to use due to its size. I'll definitely need to buy a larger memory stick too. Will comment further after using it a bit.

18. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I've changed the P120 for the W12, as I found the P120 'too' small. The main problem was with the lens being at the end of the camera - I had no where to hold it on the left.

I prefer the W12's conventional shape, plus it has the extra large 2½" screen. I find it a lot more comfortable to hold. It is exactly the same camera as the P120, apart from it having the bigger screen. It uses AA batts, instead of the infolithium battery. For some this is a downside, but I prefer this - as you don't need to charge the battery inside the camera and AA's are easy to pick up anywhere in the world you might need them.

The W12 is the special edition of the W1 (black, carry case & batts), just like the P120 versus the P100.

19. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Only just noticed this thread...

Just got a P100 myself and am very very impressed. Battery lasts what seems like forever, results are excellent, super fast in all respects and the display nice and bright. The only thing that put me off buying Sony was the cost of the Memory Sticks, but then I found a place in the UK that does them at EBay like prices:
    EmartBuy
    I paid £58 inc VAT and delivery for a Sandisk 512Mb Memory Stick Pro.
    Fast next day delivery.

20. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    What is magicgate?

21. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    From what I can gather, 'magicgate' is a copyright protection system. It is not supported on the digital still cameras - so it won't matter if you use these type of memory sticks or not (you won't notice any difference).