Sony power lead

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by RTC89, Jan 19, 2018.

1. RTC89

RTC89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Hi, Asked couple times over in the ex9005 owners thread no joy on a response. The power box and cable anyone had any problem with wall mounting the tv and the cable not being long enough?

Thanks.

2. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +627
    Isn't the power cable to the box a cloverleaf connector at the powerbrick end the same as used on laptop power supplies? If so, why not see if you could get a longer lead to replace the standard one that comes with the Sony?

Clem

3. RTC89

RTC89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I haven’t got a Sony 9005/93 yet i move March and they have a tv on the wall , we are looking to do the same thing so I want to know if I wall mount the Sony 9005 or 93 if anyone has had problems with either end of the powerbrick being too short.

4. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +627
    Well, the cables will have a finite physical length, so if they're not long enough then you'll have an issue.

Clem

5. Elevon

Elevon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    The cable that plugs into the mains socket and then the powerbrick is detachable, also you can get a longer one online so that side is not an issue. The other side that plugs into the TV from the powerbrick is not detachable.

6. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +627
    I've had a Sony TV that had that exact same PSU arrangement. The non-detachable cable to the PSU will be a finite length, but as I mentioned previously, the detachable mains cable can be bought cheaply in several lengths, or you can extend it yourself by chopping the plug off and using a mains cable joint box. I'm not clear just what the issue is here.

Clem

7. RTC89

RTC89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    There is no issue, I don’t understand why people are struggling to answer my question.

I’m looking to buy a 9005 or 93 Sony tv, the house I’m moving into in March has the tv on the wall we are looking to do the same, when I buy the sony tv will the power lead be to short? Has anyone wall mounted a 9005 or 93 and had problems with the power cable.

That above is simple to answer for those that have done it, or am I asking too much here?

All I’m looking to do is cover a potential problem if there is a problem with power lead I know what I am doing to sort it there and then.

8. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +627
    OK, but it's a bit of an odd question to ask, unless you've already measured the TV to power socket distance. The relevant manual available on the Sony website will give you details on how to mount the TV. To me, your question seems like you're asking how long a piece of string is! I get that you're asking if anyone has done anything similar, but there's a wealth of information available that should give you a good idea as to what to expect if no-one else replies.

Clem

9. RTC89

RTC89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Wow clem you really are struggling here it’s nothing to do with how to mount the tv. Sorry it would of been better for you not to reply to the thread. What I am asking is not a lot and would help me out for when I move in with my Sony 9005 or 93.

When I move into the house and mount the tv onto the wall and find the cable is to short to reach from the socket to the tv if somebody knew on here that was the case I could sort it there and then with an extended cable if one was available to buy. I have no idea if that’s the case hence the start of the questions and thread.

10. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +627
    Yes, and I think that the replies answer your question comprehensively. It seems that it's you that seem to be flogging the metophorical dead horse! Good luck getting your TV sorted.

Clem

11. RTC89

RTC89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Again you clearly are not reading the posts properly I have not got the tv yet. HEADS GONE!

12. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +627
    I certainly am reading the posts correctly. I get that you don't have the TV yet and are asking about how to mount it. But you're also asking if the power cables will be long enough when you haven't measured anything yet. Ask Sony for cable length details, do some reasearch on-line! Jeez ..... ;-)

Clem

13. RTC89

RTC89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Getting boring Clem... Have another read through the whole thread, or better still stop making a fool of yourself, still think you are struggling here mate!

14. Cocksure

Cocksure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,555
    Really don't get what your issue with @Clem_Dye is who is trying to answer your impossible question.

As a general rule most TV leads are long enough as most TVs are wall mounted nowadays. However it depends on how far your socket is from the TV.

So the fact that the lead is 99% of the time fine in length for people is worthless to you as you don't know the socket distance. @Clem_Dye has given you options if that is the case and you are just having a go at him for trying to help.

Hardly surprising that your not getting answers is it

15. RTC89

RTC89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Im not having a go at all, the thread is pointed to sony owners of the 9005 or 93 series tvs and the people that have wall mounted the tv have they had any problems with the lead being too short. If so and they purchased a longer cable from somewhere I could purchase that so if I do get any problems I can sort it there and then without waiting for something to arrive.

It was not difficult to answer just trying to get organised

16. Elevon

Elevon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Hard question to answer since we don't know how far your mains socket is from TV, also mine is not wall mounted, as I stated the mains side of the power brick you can get a longer lead from ebay/amazon etc since it detaches ,so not really an issue long term, another option is 2 or 4 gang mains extension mains lead to wall mounted TV from mains, nothing stops you wall mounting the mains extension lead.

I'll be honest and say I never measured mine when I plugged it in, I will say if you are expecting something really long then you will be disappointed, it's not that long but was long enough for me(just).

It's really one of those questions where you need to know exact distance to mains from TV and somebody to measure the powerbrick leads from end to end.

Mine is plugged into a vertical stand mounted 10 gang powerstrip, if I tried to plug it into the mains socket would not reach distance wise and only four mains sockets in my tv room which is not enough for all the electrical gear I have.

Either way your issue if it is too short is a simple fix.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  17. Cocksure

Cocksure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,555
    Only once have I fitted a wall mounted TV and found the lead to be too short for the job. I just used an extension lead in the short term until I had time to move the wall socket closer (which is what I would imagine most people have done).

However if your new TV will be going in the same place as the current TV in the new house you are moving into in march, then the likelihood is that if a socket did need moving closer to the TV then this has already been done by the current users. So the likelihood of the lead being to short is extremely unlikely.

Can you not get in touch with the current occupiers of the new house and ask them how far the socket is from their TV and if there TV lead reaches it? If it does then you will be fine, if it doesn't then you will know the distance that you need to cover and can start looking for a lead that long.

The odds are this really will be a non issue for you though

18. RTC89

RTC89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    There we go thank you both that’s all I needed to know, sounds like from what you are both saying it will be long enough so I won’t look any further into it. If it’s too short I’ll look into an extension lead. Thanks