Sony PlayStation 5 Review & Comments

I really don't understand the ommision of Dolby Vision & Atmos - bizarre?!

Oh, I can't wait to build a new building dedicated to housing this enormous console. In fact, I might just move all my furniture INTO the PS5 and live in there. It's big, is what I'm saying. The PlayStation 5 console is a big video games console.

A brand new 4K player without DV or Atmos is just... WAT?!

Anyway, I'm getting it and playing Spider-Man a million times. If my GLW can spend £250 on a machine that she just uses for Animal Crossing, I can spend double that on a machine I just use for Spider-Man-ing.

What is the likelihood of DV being added in a future update? Or does it not have the hardware onboard to allow this?

I'd love to know for those who will only buy one... which one will they be getting and why? It seems like the initial offering massively favors xbox? What with the backward compatibility, better specs, stronger (future) roster (through acquisition of developers), multiplatform experience as well as the two different versions... Either I have misinterpreted something or Sony have some USPs I haven't given enough credit to.

I already have an Xbox One bought cheap during lockdown earlier this year, so for me it seems pointless to plop down £450 without being able to play any games I can’t on the One.

Great review in my view and some valid & funny comments above ie DV being added in the future along with DA and £250 for animal crossing did make me laugh.

I will be getting the disc version in due course (only ever played PS since PS 1).

Thanks for the review, interesting that you tested it on the Philips OLED 754 as that's my TV and I didn't think it would do 120fps at all, 1080p it may be but that's still a welcome bonus.

The lack of storage is a big minus and yes the new controller sounds great but its not something that is a deal breaker for me. I'm going to go the Xbox X route methinks as XBL is better for my needs. Been exclusively PS4 with the last generation. Time to jump ship.

• Media apps seem to be locked to HDR no matter the content

Have a TV fully specced for all AV/DV streaming requirements - Not an issue for me

• Lack of terrestrial catch-up apps (at launch)

Have a TV fully specced for all AV/DV streaming requirements - Not an issue for me

• No Dolby Vision nor Dolby Atmos

Well, as DV isn't really implemented in games (to my limited knowledge) and I have gone for a digital edition of the console purely for gaming, I could care less about that.
    Atmos on the other hand, I would have liked as an option for gaming. I'm not really sure how widely ATMOS is adopted as source audio output in gaming however...
    Very interested to see what Sony do with 3D audio for surround setups, particularly Atmos capable ones.

• Try fitting it in an AV cabinet

No problem, I have a space for it.
In other words, I'm all set and the media drawbacks have little to no ill effect for me, so all good :)

Even though they scored the same, looks like the XBOX has the lead for now, due to far better AV functionality. I don't think the score really reflects this shortfall on the PS5!

Even though they scored the same, looks like the XBOX has the lead for now, due to far better AV functionality. I don't think the score really reflects this shortfall on the PS5!
Maybe the score balances out due to the PS5 having a more next gen feel with an innovative controller and updated UI compared to a same but different (and some say cheaper feeling) xbox controller and the same 1080p UI of the xbox?

What's important to one person may not matter a jot to another. I have an Apple 4KTV so couldn't care less about the media side of the PS5, I just want a games console.

It's a real shame they haven't included Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos - I'm after a 4K Blu-ray player, so that would have given me an incentive to be an early adopter and I could have offset a good £200-300 towards the cost and save space in the AV cabinet too.

Does that mean the streaming apps won't support DV or DA either ?

It's also a shame they weren't able to bump that storage up a bit, as it's not that much more than the original PS4 shipped with and games have got a lot bigger in recent years. It'll be interesting to see how much the compatible, internal SSDs cost in order to increase that internal storage to something more reasonable.

Most people buy games consoles to play games, to be fair, and PS5 is some way ahead.
Xbox have it all to prove (over the next 2-4 years) on the games front, and prove it they may, but if anyone thinks that Sony will stagnate rather than develop in the same time period it would be a mistake.

Just for anyone that is really miffed about DV/Atmos - Is this purely a media playback issue, or are they a lot of games I'm unaware of that are DV/Atmos compatible? I thought gaming was more HDR10 orientated, and 3D audio will be coming to TV's and Surround systems in the future (while 5.1 is supported out of the box).

I'd rather have more games and better games, with a development coming for audio, than a better audio solution at launch and less quality exclusive games for a period of a few years.

Last edited:
I hope some of the PS5 functionality will evolve over time but I just don't need it right now until some exclusive games I really want come out.

I will probably get one once it's matured a little. It made more sense to get an Xbox Series X to play alongside my PS4 Pro 500 Million for now.

Question. Do you guys like the emphasis on the audio/visual aspects of the PS5 in Rik's review?

wont buy currently as they have said 3D blu ray/gaming wont be supported, hopefully they add this via software as they did on pS4

Knowing how sony do things they will defintely add dolby atmos and dolby vision in future updates

Does that mean the streaming apps won't support DV or DA either ?

It's also a shame they weren't able to bump that storage up a bit, as it's not that much more than the original PS4 shipped with and games have got a lot bigger in recent years. It'll be interesting to see how much the compatible, internal SSDs cost in order to increase that internal storage to something more reasonable.
Apps won't support DV/DA

Storage - the price would go up... It's not a deal breaker for me personally, 175gb less than the competition. I can manage will an external until the internals get to be a decent price.

Question. Do you guys like the emphasis on the audio/visual aspects of the PS5 in Rik's review?
It's nice to have some confirmation from a trusted source, for sure. As little as it's affecting me, clarification is always good.

It seems a shame to not include the DV and DA, but as others have said, and as Sony say on a regular basis, the PS4 and PS5 have taglines of - all about the players, and play has no limits etc This is a games machine and with the quality of exclusive titles Sony continues to put of there it's an essential console for gamers.

Apps won't support DV/DA

Storage - the price would go up... It's not a deal breaker for me personally, 175gb less than the competition. I can manage will an external until the internals get to be a decent price.

You can't put PS5 games on an external drive though - PS4 games only for now :(

It seems a shame to not include the DV and DA, but as others have said, and as Sony say on a regular basis, the PS4 and PS5 have taglines of - all about the players, and play has no limits etc This is a games machine and with the quality of exclusive titles Sony continues to put of there it's an essential console for gamers.

Whilst that maybe, they are promoting media streaming apps by also selling a PS5 only media remote. If they aren’t so serious about supporting the media streaming apps perhaps they shouldn’t be selling a media remote as that seems to suggest otherwise?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom