Sony playstation 1 Best game ever vote and discussion

Haggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best game ever for the Sony playstation 1 console, as per usual i will tot up the totals and edit the first post with the current standings every couple of days or few posts.

Feel free to vote for up to 10 games, these will be awarded points from 1-10 based on the position you enter them in, so to avoid moaning later this will apply from top to bottom, depending on the number of games listed i may include a nicer looking separate result thread later.

Obviously we already have one of these for most of the other consoles/computers, this thread is intended to fill in an existing gap, eventually leading to a complete resource

11uke2o.jpg

CURRENT STANDINGS :-

ipt5d2.gif

Metal Gear Solid (97 points) What's this?
2dv8i2d.gif

Tomb Raider 1 (85 points) What's this?
2nlvk35.gif

Gran Turismo 2 (70 points)

Final Fantasy 7 (63 points)
Ridge racer (48 points)
Tekken 3 (39 points)
Final Fantasy 9 (30 points)
ISS Pro Evolution Soccer 2 (23 points)
Driver (21 points)
Gran turismo 1 (21 points)
Resident Evil 1 (21 points)
Wipeout (20 points)
Doom (19 points)
Final fantasy tactics (18 points)
Tony hawks pro skater 1 (18 points)
Oddworld: Abes Oddysee (16 points)
Nuclear strike (15 points)
Final Fantasy 8 (14 points)
Quake II (14 points)
Spyro the dragon (14 points)
Syphon filter 1 (14 points)
Castlevania SOTN (13 points)
Alien Trilogy (12 points)
Resident Evil 2 (12 points)
Tekken 2 (12 points)
Colin Mcrae Rally (11 points)
Duke Nukem Total Meltdown (10 points)
Micromachines v3 (10 points)
Ridge racer type 4 (10 points)
Vandal Hearts 1 (10 points)
WWF Smackdown 1 (10 points)
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (09 points)
Command and conquer red alert (09 points)
Crash bandicoot 1 (09 points)
Fifa World Cup 98 (09 points)
klonoa: door to phantomile (09 points)
kula world (09 points)
Parodius (09 points)
Pool hustler (09 points)
Silent hill 1 (09 points)
Soviet strike (09 points)
Tenchu (09 points)
Vandal Hearts 2 (09 points)
Brave Fencer Mushashi (08 points)
Suikoden 2 (08 points)
Vib ribbon (08 points)
Wipeout 2097 (08 points)
WWF Smackdown 2 (08 points)
Einhander (07 points)
Parappa the Rapper (07 points)
Point Blank (07 points)
Soul blade (07 points)
Syndicate wars (07 points)
Track and field (07 points)
Bishi bashi special (06 points)
Brian lara cricket (06 points)
GTA 1 (06 points)
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (06 points)
Sexy Parodius (06 points)
Suikoden 1 (06 points)
Tekken 1 (06 points)
Tomb raider 2 (06 points)
Tony hawks 2 (06 points)
X-Com: Enemy Unknown (06 points)
Breath of Fire 3 (05 points)
Chrono cross (05 points)
Crash bandicoot 2 (05 points)
Everybodys golf 2 (05 points)
Front mission 3 (05 points)
G police (05 points)
Worms 1 (05 points)
Alundra (04 points)
Colin McRae Rally 2.0 (04 points)
Final Doom (04 points)
Resident Evil 3 Nemesis (04 points)
Silent Hill (04 points)
Exhumed (03 points)
Fifa 2000 (03 points)
Formula 1 (03 points)
Legend of legaia (03 points)
Starfighter 3000 (03 points)
Street fighter alpha 3 (03 points)
Toca Touring Car Championship (03 points)
Adidas power soccer (02 points)
Die hard trilogy (02 points)
MDK (02 points)
Medal of honour 1 (02 points)
Parasite Eve 2 (02 points)
Street fighter alpha 3 (02 points)
Theme hospital (02 points)
Colony wars (01 point)
Crash team racing (01 point)
GTA London (01 points)
Michael owens world cup soccer (01 point)
Resident evil 2 (01 point)
Twisted Metal World Tour (01 point)
World championship snooker (01 point)

Last edited:
From what i can recall here's mine :-

01) Final fantasy tactics (nothing compares to this on psx it's replay value is infinite)
02) Tomb raider 1 (Love puzzles over action and this has ever been surpassed imo)
03) Gran turismo 1 (Superb racing game, the sequel did little to improve)
04) Tekken 2 (Devil and angel nuff said)
05) Final fantasy 7 (Probably most peoples favourite rpg)
06) Chrono cross (Close between this and ff7)
07) Syphon filter 1 (At the time different)
08) Legend of legaia (Not got the hype of squares stuff but superb anyway)
09) Oddworld: Abe's oddysee (Loved this)
10) Command and conquer red alert (It was good and had skirmish mode)

Haggler I love your threads, the time you put in is much appreciatted :smashin:

The playstation games I most enjoyed are;

1. Duke Nukem Total Meltdown
2. Parodius
3. Doom
4. Quake II
5. Sexy Parodius
6. Tomb Raider
7. Resident Evil 3 Nemesis
8. Starfighter 3000
9. MDK
10. Parappa the Rapper

1: Castlevania SOTN
2: Tomb Raider
3: Brave Fencer Mushashi
4: Ridge Racer
5: Alien Trilogy
6: Doom
7: Final Doom
8: Metal Gear Solid
9: Tekken 3

1. Final Fantasy 7
2. Metal gear Solid
3. Suikoden 2
4. Final Fantasy 9
5. Final Fantasy 8
6. Breath of Fire 3
7. Alundra
8. Street fighter alpha 3
9. Tomb Raider
10. Gran Turismo

As you can see i love my RPG's

01) Ridge Racer
02) Gran Turismo 2
03) Driver
04) Resident Evil 2
05) Metal Gear Solid
06) Doom
07) oddworld: Abes Oddysee
08) Exhumed
09) Parasite Eve 2
10) Colin Mcrae Rally

1 tekken 3
2 kula world
3 klonoa: door to phantomile
4 ridge racer
5 wipeout

1) Final Fantasy 7
2) Final Fantasy 9
3) Resident Evil
4) Tomb Raider
5) Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
6) Point Blank
7) Silent Hill
8) Metal Gear Solid
9) Wipeout
10) Twisted Metal World Tour

Leader board updated

Surprised at the amount of points for ridge racer, i know it was a launch title and the demo game that showed off (the power at the time) of the machine but still, the original tomb raider was a superb game imo and glad that's fondly remembered here, pipping final fantasy 7 for 1st spot atm too, though i can't see that lasting long.

1) Metal Gear Solid
2) Pool Hustler
3) Resident Evil
4) Gran Turismo 2
5) Gran Turismo 1
6) Everybody's Golf 2
7) Driver
8) Toca Touring Car Championship
9) Die Hard Trilogy
10) World Championship Snooker

1. Final Fantasy VII
2. Gran Turismo II
3. Crash Bandicoot
4. Spyro the Dragon
5. Gran Turismo
6. Final Fantasy IX
7. Tomb Raider II
8. Final Fantasy VIII
9. Crash Bandicoot II
10. Doom

1: gran turismo 2
2: wipeout
3: ridge racer
4: spyro the dragon
5: tony hawks 2
6: tekken 3
7: parappa the rapper
8: castlevania SOTN
9: SF alpha 3
10: driver

Another great thread Mr H! :smashin:

Here's mine... (where there's been a series of games i've enjoyed (i.e. ISSPE, Gran Turismo etc.) i've just put the one in the series which I liked the most so as not to end up with a list of games from maybe just 3 or 4 franchises).

1) ISS Pro Evolution Soccer 2 (The original was amazing, but this was even better! Still one of the best football games ever released and I simply lost track of the amount of time I put into this game. Gaming crack!) - Absolutely shocked that nobody else has listed either this or ISSPE yet...obviously no footie fans here.

2) Gran Turismo 2 (visually it was jawdropping at the time, it blew every other racing game away when it came to gameplay and it was very deep with loads of cars. GT1 was a stunning release but this was bigger and better IMO).

3) Metal Gear Solid (Quite simply a gaming masterpiece which really created the stealth genre).

4) Quake 2 (multiplayer brilliance! I absolutely loved this game :))

5) Driver (simply stunning when it was released. Brought sandbox gaming into the 3D era!)

6) Resident Evil 2 (overcame some awkward controls and had you on the edge of your seat throughout. A great survival horror title and the best RE game until RE4).

7) Ridge Racer (a stunning arcade racer which was faithfully reproduced on the PS1. Spent hours mastering this at Uni when I maybe should have been doing other things :D)

8) Wipeout 2097 (took what was a superb concept and added better tracks, better visuals and improved gameplay to produce one of the all time great futuristic racing titles)

9) Tekken 3 (the best beatem up of it's generation IMO. Great fun to play with loads of characters and great, intuitive and tight controls).

10) Final Fantasy VII (Not my fave RPG of the generation, I prefered Zelda OOT on the N64, but still a great story and a great game).

Soon after posting in this thread i went onto ps3 and bought Metal Gear to play again on my PSP, what a game be great to play that again.:) And looks ok on PSP's screen too.

Soon after posting in this thread i went onto ps3 and bought Metal Gear to play again on my PSP, what a game be great to play that again.:) And looks ok on PSP's screen too.

Indeed, it's an absolute gem! Completely blew me away at the time and was so original as well. Made a huge change to the norm of the time...i.e. run and gun and blow everything up. The stealth aspects brought a whole new gaming genre and gaming experience to the table. OK it wasn't the first ever stealth game (the earlier NES Metal Gear games also encorporated stealth for example and games like Tenchu and Thief also provided good stealthy gameplay) but it certainly brought the genre to the masses, with the title going on to sell around 6 million copies. For a stealth game that is an enourmous amount of sales, given that traditionally action games tend to be more popular with stealth games aiming at a more narrow niche of gamer.

Indeed, it's an absolute gem! Completely blew me away at the time and was so original as well. Made a huge change to the norm of the time...i.e. run and gun and blow everything up. The stealth aspects brought a whole new gaming genre and gaming experience to the table. OK it wasn't the first ever stealth game (the earlier NES Metal Gear games also encorporated stealth for example and games like Tenchu and Thief also provided good stealthy gameplay) but it certainly brought the genre to the masses, with the title going on to sell around 6 million copies. For a stealth game that is an enourmous amount of sales, given that traditionally action games tend to be more popular with stealth games aiming at a more narrow niche of gamer.

When u go back to when that was out it was an astonishing game for the time, or you realise it more now, can remember that week or two when i was playing it. Staggering. Not many games of that age u can really say are still Top Class imo.
Played an hour of it last night, funny how u remember stuff as it comes along.:)
Now we need Resi Evil 1 as a psone classic. :smashin:

Last edited:
I love these polls, gets me remebering all the great old games:)

1. Vandal Hearts
  2. Vandal Hearts 2
  3. Resident Evil
  4. Tomb Raider
  5. X-Com: Enemy Unknown
  6. Front Mission 3
  7. GTA 1
  8. Colin McRae Rally
  9. Worms 1
  10. Crash Team Racing

Alot of tactics RPGs I know but it's my favourite genre of games(never did get to play FFT's on it though, despite my attempts I could only get my import copy to play in black & white, made the movement/ attack squares near imposible to see:(), the playstation was a great console for them too:cool:

Oddworld abes oddysee please bring him back
Tomb Raider
MGS
Ridge Racer
Alien Trilogy
Tekken 3
FF7(playing it now on the ps3)
Crash Bandicoot 2
gta 1
Gta london still got this
Die hard trilogy wasnt bad either

Didnt have many ps1 games as the console wasnt mine:D

Last edited:
Oddworld abes oddysee please bring him back
Tomb Raider
MGS
Ridge Racer
Alien Trilogy
Tekken 3
FF7(playing it now on the ps3)
Crash Bandicoot 2
gta 1
Gta london still got this
Die hard trilogy wasnt bad either

Didnt have many ps1 games as the console wasnt mine:D

Really surprised not to see ISS PE 1 or 2 in your list Si :eek:. I know that you're a big fan of PES and the ISSPE games really were in a league of their own in the says of the PS1.

Reading this thread, it's almost like those 2 groundbreaking and amazing footy titles just never happened.

Really surprised not to see ISS PE 1 or 2 in your list Si :eek:. I know that you're a big fan of PES and the ISSPE games really were in a league of their own in the says of the PS1.

Reading this thread, it's almost like those 2 groundbreaking and amazing footy titles just never happened.
PES was good on the ps1 but personally i was a solitary gamer most of the time and an rpg nut.

To get the best out of it you needed a modchip, this allowed access to loads of import titles and via a good retailer the ps1 was the rpg fanatics platform of choice back then, there were loads of titles that never made it to these shores and a fair few which took ages to get a uk or even to a lesser extent u/s version.

I remember playing through xenogears and parasite eve 1 in japanese not understanding a word of them, hilarious as the main things you needed to figure out were always save game slots and start/continue game and remember most of the time the joypad buttons were switched around for jap titles.

Final fantasy tactics on u/s import is still my game of choice though.

PES was good on the ps1 but personally i was a solitary gamer most of the time and an rpg nut.

To get the best out of it you needed a modchip, this allowed access to loads of import titles and via a good retailer the ps1 was the rpg fanatics platform of choice back then, there were loads of titles that never made it to these shores and a fair few which took ages to get a uk or even to a lesser extent u/s version.

I remember playing through xenogears and parasite eve 1 in japanese not understanding a word of them, hilarious as the main things you needed to figure out were always save game slots and start/continue game and remember most of the time the joypad buttons were switched around for jap titles.

Final fantasy tactics on u/s import is still my game of choice though.

FF Tactics was a good game but to me most turn based strategy games paled when compared to the classic Laser Squad (Speccy) and the X Com games (Amiga). Still it was a good PS1 title and it shows the quality of the PS1 catalogue in that it doesn't make my 10.

My top 10 is also probably the only 10 games that i can remember playing on the ps1.

1- WWF Smackdown
2- Fifa World Cup 98
3- WWF Smackdown 2: Know Your Role
4- Colin McRae Rally
5- Tekken
6- Silent Hill
7- Colin McRae Rally 2.0
8- Formula 1
9- Adidas Power Soccer
10-Ridge Racer

1. tomb raider 1
2. final fantasy 7
3.command and conquer red alert
4. track and field (awesome multiplayer)
5.suikoden
6.final fantasy 8
7. ridge racer
8. worms
9. tomb raider 2
10. michael owens world cup soccer (again multiplayer)

Michael Owen's world cup soccer and no ISSPE :eek:.

OK that's it, i'm now convinced that i'm in some strange alternate universe all of a sudden where KCET never existed and ISSPE just seems like a bunch of random letters to everyone. :rotfl:

Come on, admit it....you're all saying "what's this nutter on about with his ISSPE games, never heard of them!" :D

Someone please show me that i've not gone completely mad and also vote for what are two of the all time best footy games ever made.

Michael Owen's world cup soccer and no ISSPE :eek:.

OK that's it, i'm now convinced that i'm in some strange alternate universe all of a sudden where KCET never existed and ISSPE just seems like a bunch of random letters to everyone. :rotfl:

Come on, admit it....you're all saying "what's this nutter on about with his ISSPE games, never heard of them!" :D

Someone please show me that i've not gone completely mad and also vote for what are two of the all time best footy games ever made.
Influencing the outcome of the poll via ranting is not allowed, i'm not bending anyone's arm to vote for ff tactics. :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom