Sony Play TV with Windows Media Centre (Windows 7) - Experiences thread

Bossworld

Bought this earlier today, found one old thread on here where someone had it 'working'. Upon further testing I'm not entirely convinced they'd done a thorough job.

Essentially the USB ID of this stops you from using the likes of Windows Update to grab a driver (no suprises there). However, it's based on an extremely common chipset, and therefore should work in Win 7 MC no problems, and prove to be a very nice, cheap dual DVB-T tuner solution. In addition, the size of the unit makes for better cooling than the USB sticks. That's not to say that the USB sticks aren't good - the Hauppauge NOVA-T stick I'm replacing with this hasn't ever done anything wrong, but I'm sure you all know that HTPCs are an ongoing project and never finished, and the more tuners the merrier.

First test: Original method posted in the forums - using an old Pinnacle driver :eek: with a hacked .inf file with changed USB vendor IDs.

Result: Unable to change channels - most of the time you won't get anything tuned in. This is apparently a common Win 7/chipset problem.

Second test: Obtained a newer version of the Pinnacle driver, hacked it myself using the USB vendor IDs presented in the old hack.

Result: Works fine for flipping through channels, however trying to record two channels is where it gets interesting. One time I've had it lose everything, second time the Blue Screen of Death. Also, trying to record from S3 - nothing is recorded although it thinks that it is recording.

Third test - currently trying out the Elgato EYE TV diversity Windows drivers. Seems to have picked up as a dual tuner so far (so no need to track down a 'diversity' mode changing tool - available from Hauppauge AFAIK).

Will do some further testing and report back as I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in this piece of kit.

--

On a side note - I wonder whether these contain hardware MPEG2 decoding - as it seems that CPU usage is up (fans are running quite hot).

Last edited:

jameson_uk

Novice Member
On a side note - I wonder whether these contain hardware MPEG2 decoding - as it seems that CPU usage is up (fans are running quite hot).
TV cards do not do decoding. Some have encoders inside for converting analogue signals to digital but the decoding will be done on the CPU or GPU

Bossworld

TV cards do not do decoding. Some have encoders inside for converting analogue signals to digital but the decoding will be done on the CPU or GPU
Hmm, not sure why it's putting more strain on the system then previously in that case.

Glad to report back that the machine has succesfuly resumed from S3 and done two concurrent recordings with these Elgato drivers.

Haven't edited the USB device IDs into them, just force installed them.

Will post some details later.

Bossworld

Guide - works on Windows 7 x86 and confirmed working on x64 by Praxidike

1)
Download the driver from the Elgato site:

Windows Driver EyeTV Diversity

2) Run the setup. It will extract to your temporary files - you can see the file path and file names from there - there's 9 files in total. You might want to move these into a different folder (i made a new one on my desktop and copied them across)

3) Go to device manager, find your Play TV (after plugging it in of course). It will have a different name to this as mine is already installed but it'll be obvious. Then right click and choose to update driver.

4) Choose to browse your computer for the driver.

5) Choose the option to pick a driver

6) I think there will be a further prompt here, just press next (all devices should already be selected)

7) 'I have a disk'.

8) Point it towards the location of the extracted files, select the first option (EyeTV_Diversity - not the HID one!) then click OK/next.

9) This will popup as the driver choice, press Next

10) You'll get two error messages - one will mention that these drivers weren't designed for your device - accept/ignore it. The second will say that they are not signed - again, accept/ignore it.

5) Run 7MC setup - it will now detect your two new DVB-T tuners! Mine are listed in Device Manager as 'EyeTV Diversity Capture' (under Sound, video and game controllers).

Easy.

One thing to note - apparently there are two revisions of the Play TV hardware floating around. If yours isn't based on this DIBCOM 7700 chipset then I've no idea what you will need to do. May well just be speculation and conjecture though!

Last edited:

Praxidike

Banned
Are you on Windows 7 32 or 64 bit? Those drivers didn't work for me - although the red light on the box comes on when Media Centre tries to use it, but it says there's no signal. Better than a different set of drivers I tried though, which just gave an instant blue screen of death when a program tried to use it!

I'm wondering if it's a 64 bit issue, that's what I'm using. The box works fine on my PS3, so not a problem there.... no idea which revision I have though, that could be an issue.

EDIT: Ignore me, I was being dumb. It works! Scanning channels now in Media Center and it's finding them OK so far. Thanks!

Mod Comment: colour tags removed to make the post readable

Last edited by a moderator:

Bossworld

Are you on Windows 7 32 or 64 bit? Those drivers didn't work for me - although the red light on the box comes on when Media Centre tries to use it, but it says there's no signal. Better than a different set of drivers I tried though, which just gave an instant blue screen of death when a program tried to use it!

I'm wondering if it's a 64 bit issue, that's what I'm using. The box works fine on my PS3, so not a problem there.... no idea which revision I have though, that could be an issue.

EDIT: Ignore me, I was being dumb. It works! Scanning channels now in Media Center and it's finding them OK so far. Thanks!

Mod Comment: colour tags removed to make the post readable
Good news. Can you confirm that those drivers work on x64? If so I will add it to the guide.

Last edited by a moderator:

Praxidike

Banned
Good news. Can you confirm that those drivers work on x64? If so I will add it to the guide.
Yeah, worked fine on Windows 7 x64. :)

The problem I had was that I was an idiot and forgot I'd turned off my signal booster, so no signal was getting through! :suicide:

Prime Time

Thanks for this guide. The previous drivers that I was using worked perfectly on Windows Vista but not on Windows 7.
:smashin:

z00h

Novice Member
Pinnacle was pants under Win7 but the new ones work perfect. I had an issue with lack of signal, turns out that the hacked pinnacle drivers sometimes deactivate tuner. What helped in my case was plugging it to PS3 and launching PlayTV.

Is there any way of adjusting picture quality/upscaling under 7MC?

Bossworld

Check the main HTPC forum mate, there's loads of info on different codecs and settings that you can use.

Personally I've left mine as is, with the exception of installing DIVX7 and AC3 filter for x264/MKV playback. Tend to find when you start introducing stuff like FFDShow you just cause yourself extra headaches when something else doesn't work. I think the inbuilt codecs do quite a good job on SD TV, and it also passes the workload to your graphics card when watching HD TV.

Glad to hear I've helped another :smashin:

rudey

followed your instructions above ( POST 4) and was simples
here is my setup

E6660 @3.2ghz
4gb RAM @ 900Mhz
HD 4850
2TB HDD
500W COOLERMASTER PSU
WIN 7 X64 ULTIMATE

Bossworld

Thanks to 'dontasciime' from HUKD, he's found another alternative driver in case you find any problems with the Elgato one. For what it's worth my system's been running without issue (using the above Elgato drivers) the last 2 months, but others on HUKD have experienced some incompatibilities.

I've been messing on all day with drivers. For anyone else having issues like me try ascii dvb 2

It's the one I am using at minute is ascii dvb 2 originally a pctv driver. 2 tuners are recording and no crashes so far on mine. Lip sync is in on all channesl iI tried . Not sure the radio is woking as it should though some channels open but are not playing as in there is no audio and they have a message saying no signal yet others are fine.

If anyone wants this one as well as ascii DvB 1 originally a pinnacle driver (Only 1 tuner0 or the Elgato drivers (2 tuners)

32bit Sony Play Tv Drivers

simiot

Standard Member
I am running 64Bit Win 7 Ultimate & I have followed the OP's instructions in post 4 & I can search channels & EyeTV tuner shows up but once I try to use the tuner it says no signal or I get BSOD. No idea how to fix this.

:-(

Bossworld

I am running 64Bit Win 7 Ultimate & I have followed the OP's instructions in post 4 & I can search channels & EyeTV tuner shows up but once I try to use the tuner it says no signal or I get BSOD. No idea how to fix this.

:-(
I was most recently using it on 7 64 bit (before making way for the TBS), as was the chap on post 11, so it's not a driver issue. As per my original post there were potentially two revisions of the card. Does your machine find any channels when you do a scan?

Also did you try the driver in post 12?

simiot

Standard Member
Yeah, I went in to post 11 & still it didn't work. I can scan for channels on the tuners with no issue. I am thinking I have a different chipset. I will have to hang out for a fix. Initially I had it running for some weeks then it changed. After googling it is quite common.. I am thinking an update changed this. I hope there are people/hackers out there that will fix this.

:)

Bossworld

Yeah, I went in to post 11 & still it didn't work. I can scan for channels on the tuners with no issue. I am thinking I have a different chipset. I will have to hang out for a fix. Initially I had it running for some weeks then it changed. After googling it is quite common.. I am thinking an update changed this. I hope there are people/hackers out there that will fix this.

Hope it works out, if you read this thread as a running commentary you'll see the ***** I went through trying the Pinnacle driver which gave me the same issue you're having, hence I had to create this fix using a different manufacturer's driver.

Would be worth trying to find what chipset your unit does contain, perhaps the device properties in Device Manager give you some more info? There's only a limited number of suppliers out there for the DVB-T chipsets so one must surely work.

simiot

Standard Member
On My Devices chipset says SCEH-0036

Loction says: Port_#0002.Hub_#0004

That's all the info I can get. I am thinking I will switch back to MythTV. I wish their is a solution for WMC.

simiot

Standard Member
In Device Manager it comes up as SCEH-0036.

I haven't installed the problem driver for me to see any more info. Should I do that to get more info?

simiot

Standard Member
Hi

Just seen the thread. I don't have my tuner any more so I'm afraid I can't cross-reference for you. Based on what you've said there, if MythTV works with a BDA standard driver, it would be worth testing if it works on that (or similar software like DVB Viewer). If it does, it would appear to be a problem with WMC on your PC.

I'll give that a go some time.

It would be interesting to find out if running Windows 8 RC would make a difference in WMC. If anyone tries it I'd love the feedback :)

simiot

Standard Member
Sorry I can't really offer any further help but from what I've read 8MC is the same as 7MC at the moment - it doesn't use the metro UI.

Do you have any other machine/laptop you could try your Play TV on to rule it out?
Yeah, I tried running it on my netbook (32Bit Windows 7) & got the same BSOD. That got me thinking about the hardware a bit more. The thing is it worked for some weeks on my 64Bit Win 7 desktop before I got the BSOD. Then, I googled & found others having the same problem. I will just have to rule things out as I go testing it.

Bossworld

Yeah, I tried running it on my netbook (32Bit Windows 7) & got the same BSOD. That got me thinking about the hardware a bit more. The thing is it worked for some weeks on my 64Bit Win 7 desktop before I got the BSOD. Then, I googled & found others having the same problem. I will just have to rule things out as I go testing it.

Sure it's not faulty hardware? If it was working previously and it's suddenly gone bad, sounds hardware related, might be worth trying another USB cable.

The only reason I say that is that the Pinaccle drivers were obviously duff from the off, you would only get a handful of channels and others wouldn't work properly. If it was working but it's now broken, I doubt it's drivers but you never know.

Good luck anyway :smashin:

simiot

Standard Member
I installed DVB Viewer & it works fine. So, its not a hardware issue. I haven't been able to set up my MythTV as I've messed up something that I don't understand. I am gonna do a clean install of the next version of Ubuntu next month & I'll be a bit more careful when setting that up. Conclusively, WMC has some issues with PlayTV on both 32 & 64 Bit Win7 that I have tried. I think it might be the firmware number I have. Will have to research in the future if there are changes with WMC.

simiot

Standard Member
Now working with WMC but reception isn't as good as DVB Viewer. No BSOD anyway. I can only put it down to maybe a change of USB port made the difference.