1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony plasmas?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sapkan, Jul 22, 2004.

1. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I while ago I read somewhere that Sony are about to release a superb range of plasmas. Has this happened? No one here seems to talk about sony's plasmas. Are they that bad?

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    IMHO yes they are. For the money you can do so much better, with Pioneer or panasonic and a scaler, or you can buy virtually the same equipment from Hitachi and save a shedload of cash. I'm personally not over-keen on the Hitachis, but many here love them, I'm perfectly prepared to concede it's a matter of taste.

3. stu954

stu954

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm well happy with my 37xs1. picture quality is ace from all sources. I'm sure there are a few other happy owners out there too.i nearly bought a Panasonic viera but styling and picture quality on the sony was just a bit better for me. Yes , they are a bit more expensive but i have no regrets at all. :thumbsup:

4. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SONY makes very nice plasma screens lately.
    I personally prefer SONY to Panasonic. I see SONY is quite expensive in UK.
    I live in Bulgaria and the price of Pana 42PW7 (without tuner and add boards) is around 1570 GBP, and SONY 42M1 is 1790 GBP.
    Which is not much, so I would buy SONY, of course.
    Because 42MRX1 is much better (HD ready and so) I'm considering it for 3700 GBP.

5. tujax

tujax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sony, like some other big names on consumer electronics (ex: philips), uses third party glass panels. They add some value into the set with proprietary electronics, software (nancy menus et al) and features (ex: memory stick reader/writer). And of course, a price tag on it.

The WEGA engine seems to produce good results, imho. The downside on sony is really the price, normally more expensive than any of the other brands.

As for new coming sets, haven't heard much on that. They are, however, betting on LCDs, but on the plasma field they are leaving room for others, I guess. Check this info to get a picture of what is going on: http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages/strangepf.htm

6. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    PQ on my 37sx1 is fantastic - everyone agrees when they see it. Styling also is great - this can be very important for such a large piece of kit in a living room. Who cares if they don't make the panel if the finished result is so good. My only gripe is the lack of HD sockets.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That's unfortunately true of so many plasmas... though I have yet to find one er, swimming in them?

8. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure about missing HDMI imput.
    I made a comparison between HDMI and PS component on Pioneer 50 inch plasma connected to the DENON 3910.
    HDMI picture seems to be more processed and "digital", with edge contour and more "sharpen" in a bad way.
    PS component picture looks more like cinema and more natural to me.
    I and another HC entusiast tried to make best set-up for two inputs. We both like PS component better.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Likely you are right, but here in UK, we have to have HDMI or DVI with HDCP because digital satellite TV, Sky, is about to go that way, and if you don't have it you might not see any HD transmissions.

10. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe :)

The latest sets are among the cheapest you can buy.

The new ones should also be competitive on price, with a Sony premium though. I'm looking forward to them!

A panel and scaler is hardly a serious or fair comparison, and someone who is happy with that in their living room wouldn't be in the market for a consumer TV in the first place. Some people would pay the asking price for the MRX1's as design objects even if they didn't switch on...