Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sony Plasma

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by eddyad, Jan 2, 2005.

1. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I saw a Sony KDEP42XS1 beside Pioneer and Hitachi plasmas in a non-chain TV store (small local group). The difference was obvious - The Sony had sharper edges, no 'streaking' and better colour gradation than the others.
    Has the dealer 'fixed' it so he sells more Sonys or are they that good?

Also is there really £2000 of difference between the KDEP42MRX1 and the KDEP42XS1 (RGB Direct prices)?
    I read what the technical differences are - but almost £2000worth???

2. Ymegod

Ymegod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I also expressed an opinion similar to your own and got a similar response i.e. none. For whatever reason the word S**y is akin to swearing on the Forum. All you need to do now is to mention Alis panels and the wrath of many will descend upon you. You have been warned !!!!!!

3. absthechatter

absthechatter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sony have an excellent name in TV's, but not so in Plasmas, I don't know why, perhaps they do not have as much experience. Saying that I have not heard anyone say they are poor.
    Personaly I think I would go back to the shop and ask them to swap the inputs so I could see for myself and also have a play with the remotes to see if you can improve the others. (Sure they will oblige if there is possibility of sale!)

Most people have a preference to their own screens, so much so in some cases that they insist all others are rubbish. If the Sony is still much better after swapping the inputs and playing with the controls, then go with that. It's alot of money and you are the one that has to be happy.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    He's fixed it, maybe only accidentally. I expect they were all on RF feeds.

5. madcyril

madcyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    got a KDEP42XS1 from JL 2wks ago,it's on the wall and I think it's excellent. :thumbsup:

6. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I have always been a purist when it comes to hi-fi and sound has been the main priority and looks second. With a large screen TV however, I had to take looks into account more than I would do normally, as this is a large piece of furniture. The Sony KDEP37 was clear winner in this case as it's looks were in a different league to everything else. As far as PQ is concerned it was as least good as anything else I saw at the time if not better. I'm sure a better picture can been had elswhere at a cheaper price if styling is unimportant and you are happy to tweak, but for my family in a newly decorated living room the Sony won hands down.

7. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have just ordered the Sony after much deliberation as picture quality is good. The styling is exceptional and unique. A winner for me in design. And although as some say, there may be better screens out there, no review haqs been negative re the Sony screen. The MRX is so much more expensive although to me the picture quality is similar to the XS1! Must be my eyesight.

8. FEBABE

FEBABE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The MRX has a true high def panel and better inputs etc comparable to the Pioneer which is a grand cheaper.