1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony plasma question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by andrewjh009, Jun 26, 2004.

1. andrewjh009

andrewjh009

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Hi i am thinking of buying a sony plasma in the near future an wondered how i should go about connecting it to my existing equipment, i understand that my dvd has component (sony 930) and so does the plasma, should i use this rather than RGB? is this video only if so how will i get sound through the tv's speakers?, i dont intend to use an amp etc. i intend to connect my sky+ box to it via one of the RGB sockets as with my current widescreen set.

Any advice appreciated:)

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sony plasmas are not well thought of here, you can do better with your money. Plasma TV's from Pioneer, Panasonic and Hitachi are the usual recommendations. You will of course have the same problem on any set with component video. The simple answer is to use a pair of phono leads to connect the audio, the set either has audio in to accompany it's component sockets, or you use audio in on scart if like the Pioneer it's a 'shared input' with another RGB scart. Whatever, they will have thought of this, and equipped it suitably. Sony may not make the best plasmas, but they're not that silly.

3. Rob D

Rob D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are Sony that bad?

I went into JL to look again at the Panny TH42PE30 this time to compare the picture from the built in tuners.

However I was blown away from a new Sony panel sitting next to it, this was a KDEP37XS1.
    The picture from the digital tuner was just like a CRT I couldn't believe it, it was definately a better picture from the digital tuner than the Panny but the Sony was a smaller screen, I not sure what differance 37" picture would be against a 42".
    The screen also has a resolution 1024x1024 higher than the Panny, however it is on the pricey side @ £3999 but I have seen it on the web @ £3000.

Anyone care to comment on the Sony?

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You've got to bear in mind that somewhere like JL does absolutely no setup of it's displays, just rip open the box and turn it on. Many manufacturers know this, and turn everything up to the max to make their screen stand out from the crowd. You'd also have to know they were both showing freeview, it wasn't analogue on the panny by any chance, you checked? The 37" alis panel in the sony is by Hitachi, it has a loyal following here, but nowhere near the general satisfaction levels achieved by the panasonic. I'd say there was probably lots more to come from the panasonic, all the sonys I've seen have not impressed me.

5. Rob D

Rob D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Getting me down no not at all! :)

I am still in 2 minds over buying a plasma or a PJ, I just feel at the moment a plasma would be easier with the lounge setup and configuration I have at the moment.

We did spend about 15 mins playing with the settings on the Sony I must admit, the Panny was left on the standard setting as no remote was at hand.
    The Panny was definately switched to the digital tuner I checked that myself, but the picture just wasn't at the clarity level of the Sony even before tweaking, I not sure the picture could have been improved to the level of the KDEP37XS1, I just hope I'm wrong because I so want the Panny.

Don't get me wrong I am a Panny person at heart but the Sony just left me speechless with the digital picture.

Oh decisions decisions!

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    There's no doubt that plasma is a better solution for many people, the convenience factor counts for a lot. I'm a PJ user myself, anything smaller that 8ft across seems a bit small now. But I can easily darken the room, and it lends itself well to the arrangement. I'd say 95% of our installs are plasma, and if there's apossibility of a nice PJ install I always say so, and miss out on about 1/2 due to WAF. ie only 10% of front rooms are a good pj setup. If yours is, then I'd say go for it, and have a little LCD for watching the news.

7. Rob D

Rob D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My lounge is 17' square with red walls and a large bay window with cream blinds, not very dark on the window front I know that's why I edging towards a plasma. The TV is placed in front of the window. The ceiling is 11' high which is another small factor against a PJ.
    I'm running a set of Mission 77x speakers and a Rel Quake SW through a Denon 3802 AV amp, with a cheap Toshiba DVD player which will be replaced with a PS one once I decide on a setup.

Any thoughts?

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sounds like a plasma, you'd spend quite a lot of money on a PJ system, then your wife might not like it!

9. Rob D

Rob D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am lucky in the fact my other half doesn't really mind what I do, she just accepts it! :)

Mmmm looks like a plasma is a logical choice then, now it's just the case of which one.
    Maybe a PW6 would be a good selection and save myself a few hundred quid over a PE30

Cheers!

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    My wife complains if there isn't enough technology! But you do have to think about practicalities. If you are a passable DIYer, it might put another perspective on PJ's, there's a lot of installing involved. We usually quote for 3 days. A plasma we knock out in 1, to hide all wires. Wires are usually the WAF issue. For general day/night use though, there's no doubt which is more practical. PW6 is lovely, and such value at the moment. If you have, or will get, a digital STB, and AV amp/speakers, it's a serious option. Something like a Netgem gives YUV out, that and a DVD and YUV switching on the amp means no video boards, 1 video cable, must be good.

11. Rob D

Rob D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to add I have Sky+.
    Doesn't the Denon 3802 have any lip sync issues with plasma?

Yes I am a bit of a DIY'er but the walls are of the old plaster type and a complete nightmare when fixing things to walls and ceilings.

3 days for a PJ install blimey that must be some installation, what's the going rate these days for a PJ install you can PM me btw.