1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony plasma opinions required...

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by Mowlith, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Mowlith

Mowlith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi... once again a guide needed from the respected users of this forum. I am in the market for a Plasma and have been looking at many screens. One thing I have not seen to many views on in the forums are the Sony screens. As one of my potential buys is the Sony KDE-P37XS1, I would appreciate your views or experiences please.

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Well, if HiDef sources such as HD DVD, Blu-ray and SkyHD are of interest to you, please be aware that no current Sony plasmas are compatible due to the lack of HDMI or DVI-HDCP inputs. Hope this helps.

Steve

3. bowler900

bowler900

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    As far as PQ goes the 37XS1 is excellent when supplied from a good source, agreed the omision of the HiDef input is annoying, the PQ from the inbuilt freeview tuner is excellent, when fed via component from DVD the resolution is excellent, however this panel is expensive comapred to some others,the device is quite large with the surround equaling a 42" panel.

Overall I am very happy with mine, and the wife likes it as she finds it easy to operate as a TV.

4. Mowlith

Mowlith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well this is where I might be out of my depth, terms such as "HiDef sources such as HD DVD, Blu-ray and SkyHD" all start to loose me although I will look into what they mean. Is this stuff that is to come in the future or availible now?
    I basicaly want something just to watch my sky digital and play DVD, I just brought a Denon DHT550.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Since you have sky and a sound system, you have the option of going for a monitor only type plasma. As pointed out above, this 37" takes at least as much room, and costs more, than many 42" panels. Make your mind up on that one 1st, then bother about the future. None of these devices are currently available, but are likely in the next 2-3 years.

6. Mowlith

Mowlith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well seeing as I am thinking more about now, I will worry about what is to come in a few years at that time. So now I am open for a panel only option, from what I have seen they are obviously a bit cheaper that those with a reciever in built, So my only real requirment would be 2 scart sockets?? for my sound and sky, I believe scart is one of the best connections. I may at times want to plug my sons playstation in but that would only be temporary so is not a real requirment... So here we go again... what monitor only am I going to get,,, 37" 42" brand??? :)) back to the magazines I guess..

7. Mowlith

Mowlith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    PS... Am I right in thinking that if I get a monitor only screen all the sound would have to go through my system?? as now when we watch tv we normally use the tv speakers only, and normally only use the surround when watching dvd as it gets a bit to much all the time.....