1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony PJ's Which one???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rscott4563, Feb 27, 2003.

1. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been on the verge of getting a Pj for some time now and have taken a great interest in everything that gets mentioned on this forum, one particular Pj that has caught my attention that seems to be universaly praised is the Sony VPL-HS10 (apart from the fan noise!) this would be well within my budget and so I was interested in what people thought of the VW12HT in comparison, as in is it worth the extra money from the HS10??

And if anyone has any other suggestions as to a better choice for my money I'd love to hear them, I'm not set on LCD it just seems that for the money people seem to say that you get a better quality Pj from LCD than DLP? I've seen a DLP and an LCD in action (although not at the same time to compare) and can happily say I don't seem to suffer from the so called rainbow affect on DLP Pj's (I think it was a SIM model I saw), any help and advice very welcome..... :smashin:

2. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own the HS10 and it is indeed a good unit.

Despite the fact you didn't see the rainbow on the SIM, doesn't mean you won't see 'em on other models. Also it depends on the source material. I didn't see a thing on 'monsters inc' or 'phantom menace' but in the dancing flamenco scene on MI2 I saw them all over the place. Pick a dark scene with moving light objects on it.

Other units I considered were:

NEC HT1000 - £3200 ish (DLP)
    Optoma H50 - £2300 ish (DLP)

The Sony HS10 was the only LCD unit I considered in this price range. The reason I bought it was because of the WXGA 1368*768 resolution and the fact that (reputedly) modern LCD projectors are more light efficient than DLP (transmissive rather than reflective) and they provide better colour accuracy. I don't have measurements to back this up - this is just what I heard!

On the other hand, DLP does give a very good picture and the pixels are basically invisible due to the very high fill factor of the screen. But at normal viewing distances, the HS10 pixels are invisible too and there is no "screendoor" which people often complain about. The picture is simply fantastic for the price.

As you mention, the fan noise is the low point - but to be honest it isn't all that bad and lots of other projectors are just as loud.

IF I didn't suffer from rainbows I would have looked very seriously at the NEC HT1000. I gather that the earlier models suffered from PAL tearing but this has been fixed by a firmware upgrade.

If buying a DLP unit I would make sure you go with a retailer that has a good return policy. I have read about people who saw nothing in the shop and 2 weeks later return the unit after getting headaches / eye strain / starting to see rainbows.. I personally found the image tiring to watch and ended up looking at the floor waiting for the demo to finish. Not the first person to do that - I've read of others - so be careful...

Rainbows aside, DLP does have a better black level. However, I don't find the black level of the HS10 with CC40R filter offensive. Sure black is not as black as the black edge on my screen.... but who cares?

I don't know about the other sony you mention but I thought it was an older model? I was under the impression that sony now do the HS10 and the more expensive HS12...

Overall I would still recommend the HS10. I give it 5 stars for picture quality and 3 stars for fan noise. The fan noise may not bother you depending on your listening position. I sit directly under the unit with the fan about 4 feet from my ears so I guess I get the worst of it. In a bigger room I wouldn't HESITATE to recommend the HS10....

cheers
    John

3. Russ

Russ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The Sony VPL-VW12HT is the current flagship LCD from Sony priced from £3900 - £4500 and £5500 in sony centres (!).

There is much debate over which Sony LCD is best (particulary since the HS10 offers a great performance at a lower price) but there .are specification differences that you can review.

Much subjective debate has occured on this thread.. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=223867
    in fact pages of it, including comment from those who say DLP is best, those who say HS10 is best and those who say the VW12HT is best ! it is fun choosing.

I bought the 12HT because if has slightly more features than the HS10 and a larger set of LCD panels.
    I also see rainbows on DLPs (every model I have seen so far -just moving my eyes across the screen).
    You have got to see each type of projector to really choose.

Good luck and have some fun. In the end, you will be happy with what you choose because the comparisons are over :)
    Russ

4. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - I must have been getting mixed up with the model numbers.

If the '12' is the current flagship sony model then sure it's better than the HS10. It is also twice as expensive. The question you need to ask yourself is, is the performance twice as good?
    The other question is: Can you afford it?

Like anything, you need to decide on a budget and stick to it. There is no point in asking whether it's worth spening twice as much.. if you have to ask, then it probably isn't. If money is no object then go and buy a 3 chip DLP. No rainbow effect and very good image.

We need to be comparing apples with apples here...

There is littlle point in debating whether which is better - the '12 or the HS10. However, in terms of value for money you are always subject to diminishing returns in this field. Therefore the '12 is not as good value for money wise - making the HS10 a better buy if you are concerned about saving the money. Like I said - if you are not concerned about saving the cash then I would be looking at all the other £4000 - £5000 units out there and not the HS10.

John