1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony PFM-42X1N hdcp upgrade?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mainingredient, Mar 7, 2005.

1. mainingredient

mainingredient

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I have been offered a Sony 42x1n for a very good price but am slightly hesitant as it doesn't have HDCP.

Is this something I should consider when buying a HD ready screen? Does anyone know if there is or will be an upgraded video card available?

thanks in advance

d.

:)

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I doubt they will bring out an HDCP card, sony are not exactly showing commitment to Plasma tech, and none of their other plasmas have a digital input. To be HD ready, it must have a HDCP digital connection, you might like to consider the pros (obvious) and cons (lack of content, cost) of HD while making your choice.

3. apj30

apj30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not aware if the PFM-421XN can be upgraded despite being marketed by several sources as "HDTV ready".

It's North American counterpart, the PFM-421X, does include a DVI input - don't think it's available as an aftersale option though.

Andy

4. mainingredient

mainingredient

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Doubtless the iscan will have better processing (nothing to be ashamed of) but it still won't make it HD compatible. HDCP disables analogue outputs, and is passed through, or rather, renewed, on digital outputs.

6. apj30

apj30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm.

According to the instruction manual, the DVI-HDCP input is only available on the 42X1.

However, it does say it displays an HDTV signal with a tri-level sync signal so we might still be in business?

It's a beautiful set by the way (I have the 42X1N), will post some pics soon!

Andy

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No, tri level sync is on component video, an analogue signal. Very nice, just not HDCP, not compatible with sky HD

8. mainingredient

mainingredient

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy would you recommend the screen? I was looking to get a sagem hdd45 or even the sammy SP50L7HX but I have been offered it at a fairly good price.

cheers,
    d.

9. apj30

apj30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would absolutely recommend the screen.

Note, however, that not only does the 42X1N does not come with DVI input it does not come with any input board at all as standard (42X1 comes with DVI and the BKM-V10 S-Video & Composite input board).

However, I ordered the BKM-V11 Component input board as an optional extra and the setup is now as follows:

DVDR -> screen via Component
    SVHS recorder -> DVDR via S-Video
    SKY+ -> DVDR via RGB
    SKY+ -> SVHS via S-Video

I understand that Sky HD will be coming with Component output anyway so it shouldn't be too much of a problem?

Hope that helps,

Andy

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sony would like you to believe skyHD will be component as well as DVI, Sky say not, and that 'the majority of HD content will be copy protected'. This will mean HDCP, which switches off analogue outputs on the set top box. See what a furore this has caused for Panasonic, who have a problem with the specific signal Sky have announced. They have HDCP, just not the right signal format!

11. ixtlan

ixtlan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    MAW is quite correct. However on a thread about the future of HD, there appeared to be a consensus that football viewing would drive take-up of high-def...

And it does seem likely that Sky-HD boxes will have component outputs for some programming ...probably including SkySports.

So, if you want a HD TV for sports you might be in luck. Or even for Sky's own home-made quality viewing...

But for movies and prime-time viewing of US imports, you will need HDCP.

Ix

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sadly, I think football is going on the pay per view list at least at first, and will therefore be HDCP

13. ixtlan

ixtlan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It's funny me arguing this, since I have no interest in football... just movies... but anyhow...

Even if the football HD content is pay-per view that's not to say it will require HDCP. Since the copyright will reside with Sky it will be entirely up to them to decide on how to broadcast the games.

There may be reasons why they would want HDCP, but there are very compelling reasons why they will allow a component connection. In particular, they intend to start broadcasting HD in 2006, and they know there is a lot of non-HDCP hardware out there in the hands of potential HD subscribers. So it's heavily in their interest to maximise the amount of non-HDCP HD content.

For movies and tv shows they may not have an option, but sports may be a different matter.

Ix.

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Football, you and me both. The weight of opinion here, likely more knowledgeable about such things than me, say anything worth watching will be HDCP. That means you are right about the football then! I agree that financial necessity will lead them to offer at least some unprotected content, as less than 1% of folks have compatible displays at the moment. For me, I still would not choose that screen unless it's nearly free. You can buy in to the market leading competition for £1250 these days.

15. apj30

apj30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally had a response from Sony Support regarding the lack of DVI input on the 42X1N, despite it being "HD Ready" and this is what they said:

"HD signals can be input to the PAM using the RGB/YUV D-suss 15 pin input 1 connector"

Can anyone translate? Sounds like she's saying I can use the VGA input terminal?

If so, what hardware / cables would I need and does this mean I would eventually be able to use Sky HD?

Thanks!

Andy

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You can maybe get skyHD with an illegal HDCP analogue converter. No screen is HD ready with out HDCP support on a digital connection.