Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sony PFM-42V1 advice needed please!

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by Apnomis, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've done a search on the forum and can only find one mention of this screen, and sony's in general don't seem very popular but...

I've been offered the above model for £1300 second hand (6 months old), with tuner.

I really want a Plasma and this is the only way I'm going to be able to afford/justify one! So it's not a case of which is better, it's a case of this or sticking with my 28" w/s Panasonic CRT.

I just wanted to know if there is any reason not to have this screen at this price?

The only thing that puts me off a bit is Sony's decription of it:
    Entry model 42"/107cm visible screen size flat screen monitor created for the business user market

What exactly does that mean? Do Plasma's for business not make good home TV screens? Also I heard something about business ones having noisy fans and things, or is that just some models?

At the end of the day a lot of people here seem to recommend Fujitsu plasma's and they are not really meant for home use either.

It's either this model or maybe one of the cheap £1700ish ones from Richer Sounds.

What would you do if you were me?

Any help greatly appreciated!

2. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Maybe I should give the spec of it too:

42"/106cm widescreen
    WVGA resolution (852x480 pixels)
    27kg weight
    83mm depth
    2 RGB inputs (of which 1 DVI input)
    RS232C and S control
    High performance scan converter
    Anti reflection filter and screen saver

Oh and it comes with a TV card that enables connection via S-Video and Composite

3. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Please can anyone help me? I need to give this guy an answer by tonight...

:lease:

4. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    23 reads and no one has a comment on this deal? :(

Come on guys I'm desperate here!

5. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'm really sorry guys I don't make a habbit of replying to my own threads like this, but I really need an answer by tonight!!!

Just for reference if I don't get this second hand one the only one's I would be able to afford (new) are the cheap ones from Richer Sounds:

Daewoo DP42SP £1500
    JVC GMV42PZW £1700
    LG MZ42PZ43 (Graded) £1400

So which would be better for me? I want a decent screen and surely an expensive screen for less is better than a cheap screen for a cheap price?

I really need your help on this guys, the only thing holding me back is the idea that the Sony is a business screen, but does that matter?

Also would the Sony have enough connections to connect a DVD player, Cable Box, VCR and a PS2. Currently they're all connected to my TV via Scart, which obviously the Plasma doesn't have. So what type of cabling would I need, are they expensive? Is there some kind of Scart box that I could connect to one for the connections on the Plasma? I know they do them where you can expand 1 scart socket to 5 but would one work with the connections available with the Sony? Would you even recommend that?

Come on guys I need your help and advice here :lease:

6. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Appreciate that you're in an awkward position but the problem is I don't think anyone here has ever said they own one of these Sony screens. Of those that do have Sony, most appear to own the TS2 model. I've not seen any reviews of the screens you mention.

The golden rule here though is, look at it running and see if you like the picture. If you like the picture on it then it's a bargain, if you don't like it then it would be an expensive mistake.

Bear in mind though that if you're looking at screens about the £1700 mark then you'd probably be able to get a black bezel panny 6 for not much more and they are well respected.

Really sorry I can't be more help but good luck in your decision.

7. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've decided to leave it. It worries me that there is so little information about it and that it's a business model with little connectivity. I just felt that I was jumping in just because it was cheap and not really thinking it through. Had someone said they owned it and liked it I would of probably gone for it...

So are any of the Richer Sounds models above worth considering?

How much is this Panasonic? Is the general consenus wait and pay the extra few hundred on it as the increase in quality is greater than the increase in price?

8. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The panny 6 is very well regarded here and rightly so. I think if you do a search here you'll find numerous threads relating to where people purchased them and roughly how much they paid. Bear in mind there is no tuner (I have no idea if you need one or not) and they can come with different inputs to suit your individual requirements.

There are a number of forum sponsors who do good deals on these at the moment, some bundling items such as wall brackets, scart switchers etc. There's two versions, the black bezel and the silver bezel and I think you'll find the black one is usually considerably cheaper.

Also, try looking at some of the search engines such as kelkoo, dealtime and pricerunner. They'll give you a brief summary of what prices are around.

I'm sorry but I don't know about any of those other screens you mentioned. I've not seen a Daewoo screen at all, LG screens (to me at least) always look lacking in contrast and a little washed out for my liking. I've seen a couple of JVC screens although don't know what model I was looking at. I thought they were quite nice.

The only drawback I found with the panny is that some people (myself being one) notice "flicker" on it. The vast majority however do not and so I would simply go and have a look at one in action. There's bound to be somewhere near you that has them on display. They've even got about 30 in my local tesco extra hanging from the ceilings advertising their products. Couldn't believe it seeing all those screens being wasted like that!

Can't emphasise enough though, go and see the screens and see if you're happy with it because no matter what anyone else says, it's you that's got to spend the money and live with the result. Best of luck.