1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony PFM-42B1E/S £3406inc. 42" Plasma 1024x1024

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Rob.Screene, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I just noticed this in Scan.co.uk's today only page.

I can't vouch for what Scan are like at supplying such a thing. I am also only a vague follower of Plasma technology.

The 1024x1024 resolution sound interesting, it apprears many plasmas sold are still only 640x480!

I assume there's no tuner module, but it looks to have Component input(s?) "HDTV (Y/PB/PR, RGB) "?

I wonder how it compares to the Panasonic and Pioneer leaders for domestic use (solarisation, contrast range, buzzing, flicker and clarity)?

regards,
    Rob.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Sony PFM-42B1E/S 42" Plasma Screen!

107cm/42 inch, 16:9 widescreen, 1024 x 1024 pixels XGA resolution plasma screen

The PFM-42B1E/S uses a high resolution flat panel with true XGA and 1024 x 1024 pixels. Achieving excellent brightness and contrast, it produces sharp, detailed images with rich and natural colors.

Size control.
    The size of the picture can be adjusted both vertically and horizontally.

Picture zoom.
    The digital picture zoom function can be used to show a close up of an individual image. In addition it allows the PFM-42B1E/S to be used in multi-screen video walls with 4, 9 or even 16 screens and this without an additional picture processor.

Various remote control capababilities.
    The PFM-42B1E/S is controllable with the supplied RM-42B remote control unit or via RS-232C interface. Via the On Screen Menu (OSD) the control buttons on the Monitor (including the Power Button) can be disabled so that nobody can alter your settings or switch of the monitor

Panel Resolution: 1024 x 1024 pixels
    Pixel pitch: 0.90 x 0.51 mm
    Active area: (W/H) 921 x 522 mm
    Viewable picture area: 42-inch/1,058 mm (measured diagonally)
    Driver 10-bit RGB
    Colours: 16.8 million colors simultaneously
    Type: AC-type Plasma Display Panel with anti-reflection screen
    Color system: NTSC / PAL / SECAM / NTSC 4.43 / PAL 60
    HDTV (Y/PB/PR, RGB)
    Sampling rate: 13.5 to 140 MHz
    Preset signals: more then 38 pre defined signals

2. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I notice that they have the 32" display listed at the same price (!) so I think it must be a mistake. Also it is listed as a "kit". Hmmmmn........interesting. Does this mean you've got a self build when it arrives?:D

3. Adlopa

Adlopa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That price doesn't seem to be too wide of the mark -- other sites list it at around £3,600. And isn't XGA (how the monitor is described) 1024 x 768..?

4. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick word of warning, IMHO, Scan are the worst etailer I've ever dealt with, and I certainly would not trust them with a purchase of this size. I'm not alone in this view!

5. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I too have had many good and a few bad purchases with Scan, nothing too horrific.

I wouldn't even contemplate a mail-order purchase like this unless from someone recommended to me by at least two people!

I found another few specs under http://www.business-presentations.co.uk/plasma1.htm
    Screen size: 42"
    Resolution: 1024 x 1024
    Contrast: 500:1
    Aspect ratio: 16:9
    PC Inputs: 2
    Video Inputs: 1
    Video compatibility: PAL, SECAM, NTSC
    Weight: 29.4kgs

With mentions of improved I/P processing, which I think means better deinterlacing, probably doesn't mean anything about internal scaling quality!

cheers,
    Rob.