1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony PC5 - Appreciate some help

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by calypso, Oct 17, 2004.

1. calypso

calypso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dug out my camcorder (Sony PC5) after a period of six months or so and proceeded to charge up both my NP-FS21 Li-ion batteries.

I let them charge an hour or so after the orange light had gone out on the charger.

Took the camera out for some filming at the local sailing club. The battery life indicator was showing about 120 mins with the screen on.

After about 10 minutes, the indicator shot down to empty, the low battery warning came on and the camera died.

I replaced the battery with my other fully-charged battery and exactly the same thing happened after about 5 minutes this time.

I cleaned the batter/camera contacts with contact cleaner, but it didn't help.

I also fitted both batteries to my car charger (Sony DC-VQ11) which shows over 2 hours life for each battery on its display.

Fitted then back on the camera with the same results. Battery life indicator down to zero after a few minutes.

I can only imagine the batteries have died, but is this normal after about three years?

Many thanks for any advice.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    A sad fact of life is that even the most expensive batteries do not last forever. Your batteries may have just come to the end of their life, but this is normally only after several hundred charges.
    What I would think is more likely is just that you have not used them for a long time. I would suggest that you charge each battery for around 2>4 hours and then use them until they are completely flat. Then recharge as normal and hopefully they will be back to normal.

Mark.

3. calypso

calypso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you Mark.

I hope I don't need to replace them yet. They are high capacity Sony batteries and cost the equivalent of about 90 UK pounds each here!

I'll try charging them as you suggested and hope for the best.

Cheers,