1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony PC101 Or 120 ??

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Greggy, Jun 21, 2002.

1. Greggy

Greggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need some advice. I am considering the above as my first DV camcorder, but I am finding it hard to choose. I won't really need to use the bluetooth facility or the laser assisted night shooting facility offered by the 120. So it really falls down to quality of the image, which you can't view when trying out the cams in the shop.

When replayed on the TV would the 120 footage be significantly better than the 101? I will be replaying it on a 32".

Also any comments on the colour repro of the 101, as it did get a bit of a slating in one of the uk mags.

Any comments advice appreciated.

2. smason5

smason5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently deciding between the same two.
    Camcorder user didn't slag off the 101 that much - they did say that the white balance could be adjusted to give really good results. Still, I'm not sure whether the 120 would be noticably better than the 101. At least the 120 is well known in it's quality so I'm still tempted to get it.
    However the IP55 also looks good - has anyone tested it yet ?

3. martyc

martyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a pc101 and am fairly happy with it. Although I don't have anything to compare it to.

I bought it over the pc120 because it is significantly smaller which is important for me.

Greggy, you say that you can adjust the white balance manually. But how? There are only settings for Auto, indoor, outdoor and hold. None of which (I think) give you any real control over the white balance.

This is my only gripe at the moment. In indoor artificial light, even bright light, the picture looks quite yellowy to me. On some TVs it doesn't look so bad, but on my TV and the LCD screen it definitely looks quite yellowy, and it is a patchy yellow. I am not sure if this is just how it is or if my camera is faulty. I would like to see another pc101 in action in artificial light, but this is difficult at the moment because it is light until 9pm and all the shops close by 6/7 pm.

I am going to ask more about this in another thread.

For pictures in daylight it works really really well and I like the fact that you don't get any whiry noises from zooms / focus.

4. Greggy

Greggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Marty,

You're quite right, I checked the spec of the 101 and it does not have manual white balance adjustment, however the article in camcorder user did say that it could be adjusted to give better colour results.

I'm in quite a quandry now, as I was going to go for the 101, but now am not so sure. I'm going to try and arrange a demo, and get some playback on a tv to compare the two models.

Just wondering if you've been back to where you purchased the cam and asked them about it. It would seem quite bizzare that Sony would produce a cam with this obvious flaw, and also seeing as the 101 is a replacement fopr the PC9 which had a manual white balance, why did they remove thius feature?

If you get any suggestions, please put a follow up post on the forum.

Regards

Greg

5. Greggy

Greggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just confirmed with Sony, that there is no manual override on the white balance for the 101, only four automatic settings. Just wondering as it clearly states in the camuser article that it is possible, exactly how they achieved it?

6. Sands

Sands

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have checked the manual of the PC9 and within the section describing manual white balance adjustment and how to do it, the manual says you chose either outdoor, indoor and hold. Thus any refence to manual adjustment must mean these three settings. Hope I am not further confusing everyone!

7. AAA

AAA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, go for PC120 .

It is much better cam. Bigger (1.5M)CCD, Build Q-ty, PC101 feels a bit plastiky....
    But-WB Only Auto,Hold,Outdoor,Indoor !?....
    Has a Flash! Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Lenses !!!

I had it for 4 months, v good picture, and stills.....

Picture would be better than 101 when on large TV.

8. Greggy

Greggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally went for the 101, better for the girlfriend to hold, and could not really distinguish between the two when played back on the tv in the shop. As the WB was my main concern, and it turned out to be identical, went with the 101! Will get a dedicated digital still cam in the future.:)