Sony Pascals, BRAW!!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jesus H, Nov 7, 2000.

1. Jesus H

Jesus H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sure are pretty

------------------
    'This one's got a bad mmooooooooooooooooootivaaaaaaator (in a very camp voice)'

2. classic

classic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am I the only person in the world who likes Sony Pascals?
    after a less than flattering review in HCC,it seems to be fashionable to slag them off. Well I'm proud to have them, I think they're great!!
    there's no need for me to have anything bigger, I'm in a flat, with a 4m square lounge.
    a little tweaking of the 930, & I think they are the biz. so there.

3. Brewer

Brewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have the Sony Pascals and think that they are great

4. pmoran

pmoran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the 705's are great especially with a Sony Amp. Maybe Sony are trying to flog their amps with their speaker ppackages. For instance read the setup page for the 705's in the manual about tweaking the LFE mix and initialising the bass boost !! Cool !

5. Mikey1

Mikey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so you have the pascals? I was thinking of getting the surround and centre ones (I forget the model number) What is the centre speaker like, as it looks pretty small and when ever I see them in store they always have a big Sony amp running them I only have a Technics SA-DX940, so could you let know how they perform.
    Many Thanks

6. Brewer

Brewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only get the centre and surround speakers if you already have a sub woofer. Without one the speakers can sound tinny.

7. classic

classic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks to all who replied here
    to Mikey,
    I bought the package which had 5 of the little pascals plus a sub woofer.
    the salesman in the sony centre showed me that the small speakers are capable of accepting a full range signal. I was showing them off to my mate a few days later when I noticed th sub woofer appeared to have 'Blown'. a quick visit to the sony centre, & it was repaired while I waited. There seems to have been a fault with the first lot, I initially couldn't turn the vol. past 1, but they seem to have fitted some sort of inline 'ballast' or 'pad' & it now works perfectly.
    as I mentioned in initial post, my lounge is only 4m square, & these are WELL up to the job. love 'em.

8. Blade

Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the problem with sub sat systems such as the Sony and the Bose is that the 5 speakers are actualy too small.
    The cross-over frequency in most AV amps seems to be around 80Hz. I.e. if you have a subwoofer, all noise below 80 Hz is handled by the subwoofer. But if your speakers are so small that they can't produce sufficient sound all the way down to 80Hz, then you have a gap between what they DO go down to - say 110 or 120 Hz and 80Hz.
    This results in a lacking of mid-bass and the overall sound is tinny as a result.

More expensive small speakers may have the ability to go down to 80Hz - though the Sony's which are built to a very low budget, and the Bose Acoustimas speakers, which are pretty much the same but are priced at 10 times the Sonys (and therefore successfully fool people into thinking that because they are expensive they are good), possibly can't go down to 80Hz sufficiently.

So while a salesman may say that the Sony's 'accept' a full range signal, it doesn't mean that they can reproduce that as a full range sound output. Infact I bet you 50 quid they don't. (Full range being 20Hz-20KHz).

I am therefore confidant that while you say 'wahayy my system sounds great so up yours' - and it's great that you feel good about your home cinema - if you were to directly compare the Pascals with, say, some cheapish bookshelf speakers which DO go down to 80Hz and a decent subwoofer like a REL Q50, your system would sound resoundingly 5h1te in comparison.
    Yeah, ok, your system may be cheaper, but the extra investment brings such a significant return that it's worth spending a little bit more.

Horses for courses, but I'll have the cheap nag which could go the distance instead of a pretty sea side donkey which collapses after a hundred yards under the weight of a five year old.

[This message has been edited by Blade (edited 15-12-2000).]

9. Blade

Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wasn't talking about blowing the windows out. I was talking about quality, not quantity. Plus the diminishing returns issue - yeah - my point was that you get significant return from, say £350 on speakers and sub to, say £700 on speakers and sub.

10. classic

classic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am therefore confidant that while you say 'wahayy my system sounds great so up yours'
    oh dear blade- you seem to have taken a different angle from the one I was coming from! there was no defiance or recourse intended in the original post, I was only championing the case of a (as I see it) product which fitted the bill perfectly for me, which I bought before seeing a bad review, after having done A/B.....Z reviews of varius other products in various stores.
    <to directly compare the Pascals with, say, some cheapish bookshelf speakers which DO go down to 80Hz and a decent subwoofer like a REL Q50, your system would sound resoundingly 5h1te in comparison.Yeah, ok, your system may be cheaper, but the extra investment brings such a significant return that it's worth spending a little bit more.
    >
    I live in a flat. Taking neighbours into account, at the volumes I think are acceptable, there would be no need to have a system capable of blowing out the windows.
    I think at £350 for the 5 speakers & sub system, to spend more you start getting into diminishing returns territoryI could easily have spent twice as much for something not twice as good. (imho of course!)

There's another consideration here....as a professional musician, I'm used to seeing singers & DJ's ( prepare for flame!!) put a 'smiling face' on graphic EQs, boosting bass & top, & pulling middle out, so maybe my ears are tuned to a system that lacks low mid/high bass. This seems to be a modern music trend (which I don't particularly like)-all top & bottom. Maybe the designers of Sony, Pioneer et al, who produce tiny sats &'prodigious' (my arse) bass, are young people who's ears are tuned to modern listening trends?.....

11. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I agree with Blade here. Though I have spent a small amount on my speakers. My current setup consists of:

5x AE101 £99 set
    1x AE Aegis sub. £190

Total £289

Hunt around, if i'd bought these at face value they would have cost me about £640, decent saving i'd say.

Rick

------------------
    'I am just a figment of your imagination.'
    MiB 1997

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
    Home Site: WD A.V.

12. Stuart M. Robinson

Stuart M. Robinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

T'was I who wrote about the Sony Pascals in Home Cinema Choice. At the time I thought they were the worst sub/sat package I'd ever heard, worse even than competing systems from Bose.

That opinion hasn't changed, to my ears the Pascal are excruciatingly bright, play horrible phasing tricks and the sub-woofer although capable of deep bass curls up and dies when listening to movies at realistic levels. Looking at the competition, they're also somewhat over-priced.

Blade makes an excellent point, while the Pascal can accept a full-range signal, they are by no means full-range loudspeakers. In fact, if you crack one open, you'll find an internal low-cut filter whose job is to prevent low frequencies from damaging the drivers.

'Classic', you mention "…having done A/B.....Z reviews of varius [sic] other products in various stores…". I'm interested in learning what you passed over in favour of the Sony and why?

I'm sure they have their place, they're attractive to look at and are well suited to small rooms, but as for fidelity? Sorry, the Pascal weren't for me, but whatever floats your boat, loudspeakers should always be selected according to taste.

Stuart M. Robinson
    SMR Group – http://www.smr-group.co.uk/

13. arthur harding

arthur harding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Member posted 20-12-2000 23:31
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wooooooooooooooooooopppppppppppppppppss
    Not yet used to this stuff!!!!

I have looked and listened for the past 12 months for a mid range set up.

Yes I have listened to loads and loads of speaker set ups and yes my wife will only allow small speakers but with a decent sub.

We have listened to Bose 10 and 15s ( home 48 hour trial)good at high volumes but at normal evening volumes seem to be missing the mid area and just give out loads of bass.

Boston again a 48 home trial OK but not special ( my opion only)

Mission FX2 I thought was the saving grace but again these appear to miss out on something BUT I could only get a demo at a showroom they were not happy to give me a home trial

BUT

Def Tech pro cinema 80s these were trialled and NOT RETURNED they are fab.

Good high, low and medium sounds great bass and excellent with CD music.

Amp is a sony strd940 £375 from Sound and vision took 6 weeks to arrive in silver and had to keep phoning them for delievery progress but a great price.

The saving will go towards a pronto remote control as I can not get to grips with the sony one.

PS I tried the sony pascals as well and they sounded just strange!!!