1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Pascal speaker sets. Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Bristol Pete, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    OK, so generally, they seem get a bad rap, but anyone out there got the more expensive pascal range (the new 835's) and happy with it.

I have a Sony STRDB870 rec' and a Sony 735D DVD deck and wonder if the pascal range are designed to compliment Sony amps, rec's and DVD players. Obviously, I am refering to the much discussed 'Sony' sound. ( which I happen to like).

All opinions wanted, thanks in advance.

Captain Benefit.

2. rooo

rooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This probably won't be much help at all really, but I auditioned a set of the top of the range Pascal series 2 years ago (when I was under the thumb and looking for wife friendly sepakers!) and they were annoyingly bright, so much so it became painful to listen to them.

I found out this was the general consensus on these speakers. Although I know the sets have become much better recently.

I would say your set up deserves better!

3. DJWillis

DJWillis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had a set of the SAVE705's and used them for some time but IMHO found them much too bright. As others have said there so bright that long periods of listening was uncomfortable.

The newer sets are supposed to be better but I could not notice much improvement when I listed to a friends new set.

There plus point is that they look really nice and have a high WAF in that regard but then again my new Gallo’s look great and blow them away (but cost £500 more) :D.

4. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would avoid Pascal speakers like the plague. Had them, sold them, glad to be rid of them.:)

5. MalcT

MalcT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Listening to a set of speakers is like tasting wine - it depends on your personal likes/ perception/ taste. The only real way to tell if you like them is to try them with as close a set-up to yours as possible. If you like them then, buy them !!

FYI, I have a Pioneer 656 DVD, Sony STR1080 and the Pascal 835's. With this set-up, I love them, but then that's my personal opinion!!

Cheers

6. LEMONPJ

LEMONPJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the advancements in speaker technology over the last few years has come on in leaps and bounds and I think the results we are seeing now show that higher end sub/sat systems such as the KEF 2005s, the gallos and the Sony 835s can more than hold their own amongst 'big black box speakers'.

Some of the earlier sub/sat systems were awful, trust me I have tried so many over the last couple of years because of the grief I have had from the wife about my other speakers taking up so much room in our living room, but it was only when I tried the Sony 835s that I thought "thats it" a small sexy, speaker system that is as good as the speakers I have been listening to for years.

But it is all down to personal taste, someone earlier said that quality of sound is like 'wine tasting', what tastes awful to some people will taste fantastic to others, some people can not tell the diffence between a £2.99 wine or a £50 bottle of wine, listening to sound is the same thing.

What tastes / sounds good to you is the most important thing.

7. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I appreciate the 'whatever sounds good to you is good enough for you' attitude but a bottle of wine may taste extremely good to you but that doesn’t mean its a good wine! Moreover, with wine, you palette needs to adjust, appreciate and understand what a good wine taste like and why it’s a good wine.

Captain Benefit was asking for opinions on Sony’s PASCAL series of speakers. Technically speaking (from what I have heard from people who have listened and tested both on this site and in magazines) these speakers are not the best. As bright as you like with the sub producing high distortion. To add to this, I can verify that this IS the case as I had them.

Therefore, in answer to the overall question, if you like bright speakers and a sub with high distortion levels then by all means go ahead and buy them.

If you like to understand your system and its limitations then you will know that the PASCAL produces a bright sound that is not great at anything above mid or high levels. You can get a better ‘uncoloured’, technically better sound for the money that wont distort and wont sound bright at higher levels.

If you wonder what makes me such an except, well nothing because I am no way near one. Not even close. However, the guys on AV Forums have always taught me to learn my system limitations and understand what the faults are. I know the PASCAL series has two major faults. Even if they sounded O.K, they are technically not capable.

No offence intended. I still say stand away from PASCAL. Sorry guys.

8. LEMONPJ

LEMONPJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a matter of interest Brad, what Pascal system did you have that you got rid of, and how old was it ?

Cheers .

9. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    I have the 705 Pascal’s and think they sound good apart from the sub, they are connected to a Marantz 5200, and I find that the sub is either on or off. I will be testing a Rel Quake soon and am hoping that it will improve the sound.
    Something to remember is that most people criticise the Pascal’s for poor sound, but don’t mention that their choice is either a lot more expensive and sometimes more bulky, like most things in life they are a compromise, and most of the time you get what you pay for.

mij