Sony Pascal 835 owners, your thoughts please.

Bristol Pete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your opinions on this set up.

To go with a Sony STRDB870 + 735 DVD player...

very tempted.

Thanks

Captain Benefit.

You listen. You like? You go for it. I did, and I love 'em.
That's all that matters isn't it?

Pioneer 656
Sony 1080
Sony 835s

Got the Sony 835s a few weeks ago after years of nagging from the wife to get rid of my 'big black boxes'.

Was doubtful when I first got them that they would be a match for my 'big black boxes' but boy was I wrong.

Set them up, first disc in was Saving Private Ryan DTS, and I could not believe the sound that was coming from these small, sexy and stylish speakers that quite easily matched the sound I had been enjoying from my 'big black boxes' which I have loved for so long.

My amp delivers up to 100w per channel, my old speakers could handle 200w, these 835 speakers can handle 140w but have a frequency range of up to 70khz, can't wait to try SACD an DVD audio with them.

Just one question though, the subwoofer (200W) does not have a crossover dial on it, my amp has set the speakers to small, does that automatically set the crossover frequency for me? does anyone know what this crossover frequency is ? have tried the frequency sweep on the THX optimode and it sounds and crosses over fine with no loss of audio, so must be ok, but have read loads on these forums about crossovers and subwoofer adjustments and found it odd that a dial was not on the sony subwoofer. There was one on my old subwoofer though.

Cheers.

By the way, the 835 speakers pass the W.A.F. (Wife acceptability factor)

She loves the look of the them in the frontroom.

Mind you she is still nagging at me to turn them down !!!

........can't win them all !!!!

:(

Originally posted by LEMONPJ

Just one question though, the subwoofer (200W) does not have a crossover dial on it, my amp has set the speakers to small, does that automatically set the crossover frequency for me? does anyone know what this crossover frequency is ? have tried the frequency sweep on the THX optimode and it sounds and crosses over fine with no loss of audio, so must be ok, but have read loads on these forums about crossovers and subwoofer adjustments and found it odd that a dial was not on the sony subwoofer. There was one on my old subwoofer though.

Cheers. [/B]

If your speakers are set to small and you have an option on your amp for all LFE to go via "subwoofer only" then I would guess that the likely crossover is 80hz-90hz.

Someone else could probably give you more specifics...

Cheers.

Yes all the LFE goes to the SUB and I can adjust the volume of LFE independantly to the actual volume of the SUB.

I was just surprised that no adjustment dial was on the Sub and I cannot make any adjustment to the cross over frequency on the amp either, just simply select 'small' or 'large' for speaker sizes.

Mind you, the 835s sound fantastic so the crossover frequencies must be ok, it would just be nice to know what they are. The 835s manual says to set cross over at 120hz.

Thanks again.

I am also suffering big black box syndrome and I have finally had enough of them dominating my living space. I dont live in a small house either but they do take up loads of room.

So, thanks guys, back dated pay rise due soon and its already spent.

its nice to hear good comments from people who simply dont slate sony pascal.

Captain Benefit.

I've had mine for a few weeks, no complaints at all. I recently upgraded my amp to the sony 1080 and am well impressed with the combination (I even like PLII Music for my cd's!)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom