1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony p5, unable to view pictures

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by johnkay, Dec 3, 2002.

1. johnkay

johnkay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I copy pictures from my PC back into the memory stick and view the pictures on the camera. I have tried this and although the pictures seem to be held in the camera memory stick I cannot view them, the lcd on the camera says no file. Any ideas anybody

2. Delithran

Delithran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you made sure that the files you are transferring from your pc are the correct file format which i think is JPEG??

3. johnkay

johnkay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Delithran, I will try and check that,but I normally download the camera to "my pictures" on the PC (XP). So I'm not sure if that changes the format.
    Also how do check what format a picture is I presume you right click the properties of the picture. If it is not format you require can it be changed?

4. Delithran

Delithran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Open the pic in microsoft paint and then go to save us, then when u have done this u can chnage the picture format. Make sure it is JPEG

Let me know how u get on

5. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    If your Sony can read tiff files i'd recommend saving as this format as its lossless - continued saving and resaving of a compressed jpeg will seriously degrade the picture quality.

6. Delithran

Delithran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most Sony camera's can not read tiff files they are stored as JPEG on sony camera's

7. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    All the info i've seen says that the Sony P5 can read/store as tiffs.
    Being able to store lossless images is a fairly basic requirement in a digital camera I would have thought. Just my opinion tho.

8. johnkay

johnkay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried opening the picture in paint and then saving it as jpeg(as suggested by Delithran), but still I can't display the photo from the memory stick. I also checked on the camera menu and I noticed that there was an option for tiff format,. I tried that also but still unable to write back into the memory stick and display picture. In fact I not sure if it does take pictres as tiff, because now if I select tiff option I get message no memory space even without a single photo on the memory stick.

9. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I know that my camera creates a folder on the (flash) memory card and stores images there....so... Are you dropping your images straight onto the top level of the card or into a folder - as your camera might be looking for a folder to read the images from.

Your sony can use tiffs but they are a great deal bigger than jpegs (and better quality), so you might not have a big enough card to accomodate them. Out of interest - what size card are you using?

10. johnkay

johnkay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tomson, I'm using an 8mb card, I going to buy a bigger memory stick soon, but I have just tried using in my camera in tiff mode and I get the message no memory space even though I have no pictures on the m/stick. I have formatted my m/stick to try and make sure it is fully empty, but I am not convinced it is because surely with 8mb space I should be able to take at least one picture?
    When I down load to the m/stick I just drag & drop into the F drive(m/stick) on My Computer a picture from My Pictures, I have not seen any option for a folder.

11. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    OK, take a photo then attach the cam to your pc. Double click on your f drive and see if there is a folder on there, if there is open it and keep opening any others until you drill down to the image files (prob named summut like pic000.1jpg). Now try dropping your images in next to the photo you've just taken.

I've just tried this on my minolta and it seems to work, maybe your sony will do similar things.

As for tiff files - my 3.3 megapixel cam produces tiffs of about 9mb, So your 8mb memory stick is a tad small. If you want to give tiffs a go you'll have to drop the resolution a bit.

12. johnkay

johnkay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tomson, sorry about the delay, but I tried out what you said but it still does not work. I have found the pictures are loading back into the camera but I cannot view them on the camera.

I think I'm going to buy a software program by Ulead DVD which burns the pictures on a CD-R and then that can be played back on my DVD player onto the TV. Then I will not need to put pictures back into my camera to view on TV.

Has anyone tried this software?

13. Life_Saver

Life_Saver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Three Tips :

1) Make sure that you save in the right folder in the memory stick :

x:\DCIM\100MSDCF

2) Make sure that you didn't change the resolution ..

3) Make sure that you didn't rotate the pics . if you did, rotate them back to original orientation ..

14. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What you have to do is RENAME the file before it goes back inot the camera.

For instance, you take a picture and the P5 automatically names it 'dsc00897.jpg'
    Then you tranfer it onto your computer and rename it 'Bath Time.jpg' and you store it on your computer.

If you even want to look at it on the camera again you have to RENAME it back to one of the Sony file names - it does NOT need to be its original file name just any in the right format 'dsc00877.jpg'.

It has to be dsc and then 5 numbers.jpg

Hope it works for you.