Sony or Samsung??

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by paul_bunce, Jan 5, 2007.

Tags:
  1. paul_bunce

paul_bunce
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have been building up my home cinema for the last 6 months, I have a Denon AVR 1907 av amp Denon Dvd player (with HDMI upscaling), mission speakers and hopfully a PS3 in the future. My current display is a Sony 21" 4:3 crt tv (great picture but too small).
    I am after a 32" lcd tv with a budget of about 750 pounds. Im not to bothered about sound output as I have the av amp for that but Im after a good picture for 40% Freeview 40% dvd and 20% Ps3 when its finaly released.

I like the sony LE32s2010 and the Samsung LE32R74BDX but which one is best and is the sony worth the extra 150 pounds?

They both have simlar conections exept the Samsung has an optical out, wich seems to be a better conection to my av amp than just two rca's?

What should I go for? And should I wait for further price drops?

2. gd2

gd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £20 more and you could get a LE32N32BD!

3. paul_bunce

paul_bunce
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    is that a sony or samsung?

4. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,022
    The sony S series beats the Sammy R series hands down imo.

better image quality and FAR better sound quality (ok i know sound isnt important but......).

mind you the R series is a cheaper set as well (and is probably better compared with the Sony U series, of which from what i read the Sammy is the better panel but the sony has the better sound (the Sammy R series sound is woeful) - although i havent seen a Sony U series in the flesh).

perhaps a fairer comparison would be the Sammy N series (as suggested by someone else) verses the S series.

i havent seen/played with an N series however so cant help.

as for waiting for the new models, only you can answer that.

certainly it seems like the Sony U, S and V series' are getting a good overhaul and should be better sets with more inputs as well, however i expect they may be more expensive too.

i dont mean to confuse the issue more, however, you want 32 inch and you have no mention of PC use. If this is the case i would consider the Tosh 32WLT66 before the Sammy R series.

I felt it gave a better picture than the Sammy (maybe not quite as good as the Sony S series but its comparable) and it has 2 HDMI's unlike the Sony with only 1 (i cant remember how many are on the Sammy R)

I picked up a WLT66 from dixons for £570 which is a steal imo. Its only Achiles heal is no 1:1 pixel mapping at native res, which is only an issue for PC use.

5. matt1

matt1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The new Sony S25 and V25 series panels are now available and at fair prices too. They have improvements such as 2 HDMI ports, LCC and some engine updates - finally more connectivity! Komplett has the S stuff in stock at the moment (£850), but no V stuff. Struggling to find it locally at this price though (and it's my 21st today), the Sony shop wants £1099 for them :( Any help with stock near Lincoln please let me know.

6. csx1

csx1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I narrowed my list down to Samsung and Sony.. Although the Toshiba is excellent and seems very popular.

In the end and with my budget I went for the 40V2000. To me its the best looking panel out there and the least reported problems. I did like the F series Samsung but the sound quality is very poor as are all Samsungs. I do have a 5.1 but fact of the matter is the kids and misses dont switch this on so the tv sound has to be adequate. Also the Sony carries more name weight as id probably sell it in about 3 years.

Oh make sure you get 5yrs warrenty.. Build this into your budget.. At the end of the day I could of bought a much higher spec but I wanted to ensure I got 5yrs warrenty and skyHD.. I cant see the point of buying a 40" lcd panel and running on freeview :smashin:

7. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Hey Paul

I've not had a lot of experience with Samsung LCD TVs since Summer 2005 when I bought one and later returned it. A lot of people on this forum back then were getting them because I believe they were the first out of the semi-respectable manufacturers to offer a well-priced 32" HD-Ready screen (about 800 pounds - Sony's best 32" was due out at the end of that summer and was 1,800 at the time). I think I was the most outspoken against the Samsung LCDs despite the rave reviews magazines were giving them (probably based largely on their price).

Although the image quality gap between the two brands has reportedly closed up a little (I think some but not all Samsung LCDs let you turn off their obnoxious DNIe image processing), given their past history of problems, and the fact that LCDs from other manufacturers can now be had for around the same price, I honestly can't see much point in going for a Samsung TV unless you get some sort of seriously good bargain.

Just my opinion - anyone (else?) who has a Samsung and is happy with it is welcome to offset mine...

8. gd2

gd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Samsung

The N73 and the V2000 have the same LCD Panel. It's the software that is different and the price!

I have the N73 looks great picture and looks great when off as well. Was put off the Sony by the repair guy who wrote off my old Sony CRT and just the one HDMI. When asked which were the most reliable LCDs he told me to steer clear of Sony!

9. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why Sony or Samsung???

IMHO these are by far the worst brands for what you say is 80 % of your viewing!
    A friend who is a techno freak bought a Sony V2000. He and I (a videofreak) have spent several hours playing with the settings to try and get a decent PQ from the inbuilt freeview tuner on BBC1 without success. I have had similar experiences in stores with both Sonys and Samsungs. (yes I have been allowed to play with inputs and settings). DVD from a standard DVD player is not much better.

As far as I can see any top brand can deliver far better PQ from freeview and DVD than either of these brands.

10. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Double edged sword here, my old Sony KLV-26HG2 developed a fault in the panel after 15 months.

The panel was made by ... Samsung - pre S-LCD merger! Who do we blame?...

11. csx1

csx1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You have to make your own mind up. :D

What i did/doing is know your budget... it becomes tempting to get more than you can afford and the more you spend on a TV the more you could be dissapointed.
    know the size you want
    know the features/connections you need or work arounds.
    check out known issues with panels in here (be careful they all have some)
    Visually check out the panels in the shop (this was particularly inportant to me)
    Decide on the life span of the TV before you upgrade.
    check out the technicalities of the set (but dont get too wrapped up in these)
    Also a factor is what brand you like
    Oh and make sure you like the sound quality out of them because seperate system or not this is what plays 80% of the time

oh take most things you read in here and instores with a pinch of salt as its peoples own preference. Try to illiminate the opinions from the facts.

And into you budget like me you ought really to allow for things like stands and leads. and really if your buying an HD TV and 40" and above you really do need HD feeds else expect worse than CRT quality.

Oh and remember its only a TV.. The misses, kids and friends wont care two hoots about it :thumbsup:

Any way as i said above ive purchased the Sony 40V2000 at £1195 inc 5yrs warrenty... cheap as chips for the beast... resonable cost for the next 4yrs then ill look again at whats going on with 1080P... I got put off the 40W2000 from the know bleed problems and the fact it took me over budget. The Samsungs N & R series I didnt like the sound although i do like them (inlaws got one).. Looked at the F.. same sound issue and took me over budget but money no option and sound not an option I would of bought this.

Oh in Comet I did with the man, stick an HD source in a N series Samsung then plug it straight in the Sony.. In my and his opinion the Sony displayed it better..... but then again i might be lying ... so go make ure own mind up :rotfl: