Sony or Samsung?

Derkster

I have got a voucher for currys as my LG Oled had a bad case of screen burn so looking at buying a tv when the prices come down a bit. Based on my other thread and reading on here I have narrowed it down to either:

SONY BRAVIA KD-65XH9505BU
SAMSUNG QE65Q95TATXXU

I will be sat face on
It will be near a window but the time I watch it the room will be lit with lamps
I watch Sky Q, Netflix and Amazon Prime
My voucher is for £1098
Want a 65"

Which one would you buy

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
The Sony in about 8-10 months. Just now they're both at their highest price.

You won't see any significant discount until Black Friday and unfortunately you've just missed the window on 2019 model TV bargains. There might still be a few around, the 2019 Sony is excellent
Model 65XG9505.

Currys website isn't really showing any decent 2019 models as left in stock but it might be worth calling them to see if they have any.

Other good options would be a Samsung Q70R or Q80R, Q85R also but probably out of budget if you can find one.

Derkster

Thanks Bob

I am prepared to wait until black Friday, thats not a problem but don't want to wait until past that really so if the Sony is not going to come down in price until early next year I might look at the Samsungs. But if the Sony, which is my preferred choice, is better than the Samsung then I will pay the premium.

Regarding budget, I am prepared to put another grand to my voucher if needeed but would prefer to put the money to a Sonos Arc if I can.

tvdavid

One annoying thing with my Sony is the info banner comes up every time you go to facebook or a sound from the PC plays Samsung don't do this nore does my LG but you won't want an IPS TV so go Samsung.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
A Panasonic GZ950 @£1799 would be better than both your options, is a 2019 model, is decently discounted, but you don't want an OLED.

Derkster

I would have another OLED but I can't seem to get through to my missus and kids that they can't leave the televiosn paused whilst they and go and do something. Switching the TV off seems alien to them! And its because of this reason I can't have an OLED...

I just had a quick search of that OLED though but can't seem to find it on Currys website.

Derkster

One annoying thing with my Sony is the info banner comes up every time you go to facebook or a sound from the PC plays Samsung don't do this nore does my LG but you won't want an IPS TV so go Samsung.
How long does the banner stay on for? Do you mean when you switch sources?

tvdavid

stays on for about 5 sec and its when you switch channels to
but the later Sony ones might be different.

Dodgexander

Black Friday (November 27th) is a tradition started in the USA that commemorates the day after Thanksgiving. Its commercial success since spread to Europe and tends to be the first time each year new tech sees the biggest discounts. Buying a TV at Black Friday is the new 'Christmas sales'.

LCDseeker

It's the Sony for me although as others have said it's a terrible time to buy at the moment. If the voucher doesn't expire wait until black friday.

Derkster

Thanks all

I will be waiting until Black Friday but just wanted to keep an eye on the prices for the two TV's

So what's the verdict Samsung or Sony?

Dodgexander

So what's the verdict Samsung or Sony?
They both make good and bad. Generally the ranking of overall quality would be:

Q85T=Sony XG9505
Q90T/Q95T = A rank higher. Better local dimming with higher brightness.

Sony's strength is with motion processing and picture accuracy. Samsung's have better smart TV and local dimming.

dcjs01

Standard Member
I would go for the Sony, but in the end much of it is subjective. I have never got on with Samsungs motion processing. For same generation sets I have always found Sony’s motion processing to be far better. Also find Sony picture reproduction more natural.
But in the end you need to try and see the options with your own eyes and with the type of material you normally watch.
Other people’s recommendation can provide a shortlist, they should never form the final choice.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming To Amazon Prime Video in August 2020. Tom's Thumbs.

Trending threads

Top Bottom