Sony or Samsung?

dk1000

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a 49" TV and am stuck between the Sony KD49XG8396BU and the Samsung QE49Q67RATXXU. The Sony would cost £585 and the Samsung £599, so very close in that respect.

I would mainly be using the TV for gaming on my PS4 and for streaming Netflix, with perhaps occasional freeview TV watching and PS5 later down the line.

Would anyone have any thoughts on what would be the best option?

Many thanks!

They are different ranges of TVs. The Samsung is a low range model, 60hz panel and due to poor local dimming and peak brightness, poor HDR.

The Sony is a mid range model, 120hz panel, good local dimming, good peak brightness, good with HDR.

The Sony is the best TV you can currently buy at 49" and should not be passed on at that price!

2020 OLEDs at 48" are due to be released soon, starting price is £1500 but it will go down slowly in time. These TVs are the only path to beat the Sony and get HDMI 2.1 features to future proof. Despite being the best 49" TV money can buy, the Sony lacks HDMI 2.1 features which means no Auto Low Latency Mode or Variable Refresh Rate gaming in the future.

No way around that though currently unless you raise the budget and look at 55" and look at LGs current OLEDs.

They are different ranges of TVs. The Samsung is a low range model, 60hz panel and due to poor local dimming and peak brightness, poor HDR.

The Sony is a mid range model, 120hz panel, good local dimming, good peak brightness, good with HDR.

The Sony is the best TV you can currently buy at 49" and should not be passed on at that price!

2020 OLEDs at 48" are due to be released soon, starting price is £1500 but it will go down slowly in time. These TVs are the only path to beat the Sony and get HDMI 2.1 features to future proof. Despite being the best 49" TV money can buy, the Sony lacks HDMI 2.1 features which means no Auto Low Latency Mode or Variable Refresh Rate gaming in the future.

No way around that though currently unless you raise the budget and look at 55" and look at LGs current OLEDs.

Thank you

Unfortunately, £1500 and the current OLEDs are out of budget for me. However, I have done some more research into optimum viewing distances and seeing as I can pretty much sit as close or as far away from my TV as I’d like (on average 8-9ft), I was thinking of going with a 55’’.

I was considering the Sony KD55XG8196BU (£540) which is closer to my budget but was wondering if the KD55XG8796BU (£675) or KD55XF9005 (£720) are worth the jumps in price?

Thank you

Unfortunately, £1500 and the current OLEDs are out of budget for me. However, I have done some more research into optimum viewing distances and seeing as I can pretty much sit as close or as far away from my TV as I’d like (on average 8-9ft), I was thinking of going with a 55’’.

I was considering the Sony KD55XG8196BU (£540) which is closer to my budget but was wondering if the KD55XG8796BU (£675) or KD55XF9005 (£720) are worth the jumps in price?

go for the XF9005 if you can. Or the xg9005 which I believe is on offer at the moment...

@dk1000 take a read of this: Which panel type should I choose for my TV?

The two lower tier Sony's you have picked out are using IPS type panels, they are TVs that are for people looking for different things compared to say, the XF9005 which you also picked out.

Also, not sure if you have seen my guides yet, but here; My best value TVs, 2019-2020 Edition the Sony XF90 is an upper mid range model in the VA type category whilst the other Sony's are either not listed because they are poor value for money or are budget range TVs.

Unless you need wide viewing angles the Sony XF9005 is a lot more TV for the money.

Release pricing on TVs is always very high btw, so whilst the 2020 OLEDs at 48" fetch 1500 on release, they will probably be closer to the 1000 mark come black friday, perhaps a little later. It's never a good idea buying a TV when its just been released, but it would be a path for you to get a much better overall TV if you play the patience game.

@dk1000 take a read of this: Which panel type should I choose for my TV?

The two lower tier Sony's you have picked out are using IPS type panels, they are TVs that are for people looking for different things compared to say, the XF9005 which you also picked out.

Also, not sure if you have seen my guides yet, but here; My best value TVs, 2019-2020 Edition the Sony XF90 is an upper mid range model in the VA type category whilst the other Sony's are either not listed because they are poor value for money or are budget range TVs.

Unless you need wide viewing angles the Sony XF9005 is a lot more TV for the money.

Release pricing on TVs is always very high btw, so whilst the 2020 OLEDs at 48" fetch 1500 on release, they will probably be closer to the 1000 mark come black friday, perhaps a little later. It's never a good idea buying a TV when its just been released, but it would be a path for you to get a much better overall TV if you play the patience game.

Thanks for all of the help, I have just ordered the XF9005!

All major electrical retailers are offering 10% off Sony TVs with a discount code until tomorrow so I saved £80 off the £800 list price and then also used a 5% off cashback offer so at just over £680 I think I did quite well :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom