SONY OR SAMSUNG ??? help please

GOLFATHER76

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

After reading loads of threads/reviews & seen LCD/Plasma's in shops

I came up with these 2 models I really like but I can't make my mind up,So ill take forum members vote on them. So please help me

Sony KDL40W4500

Samsung LE A780 SERIES LED

So please be generous & vote :D also let me know which one you buy from above & why?

Thank you for your help in advance

Last edited:
I think that Sony and Samsung you have chosen are in different leagues and cannot be compared.

THe first thing I noticed about these 2 is the 200 quid price difference, apart from that the next big difference is the LED backlighting, which both Samsung and Philips are saying brings out more colours and brighter colours.

My personal preference is always Sony just out of brand loyalty, but if this LED backlighting does make a difference then its probably worth the extra 200 quid.

This is according to hdtvtest.co.uk

The Samsung LE40A786 is an interesting display, not only because it features the still-elusive LED backlighting system, but also because it features some strange issues which we very rarely encounter on HDTV displays. Sadly, the aforementioned combing issue will irk hardcore videophiles, and the alarmingly high level of input lag may be a deal-breaker for video gamers. We can only assume that both of these issues – which do not appear on Samsung’s conventional LCD displays – are necessary evils included to support the LED backlighting.

:thumbsdow for this Samsung model:
Combing/interlacing issue on virtually all types of input signal, even 1080p
Unusually high level of input lag may be an issue for gamers
Off-axis vertical viewing reveals noticeable black washout

Users who desperately want an LCD with such a high contrast ratio would do well to give the LE40A786 a good look over; but the rest of us might want to wait until Samsung has worked out some of the quirks with its LED-based displays.

The Samsung LE40A786 is an interesting display, not only because it features the still-elusive LED backlighting system, but also because it features some strange issues which we very rarely encounter on HDTV displays. Sadly, the aforementioned combing issue will irk hardcore videophiles, and the alarmingly high level of input lag may be a deal-breaker for video gamers. We can only assume that both of these issues – which do not appear on Samsung’s conventional LCD displays – are necessary evils included to support the LED backlighting.

Users who desperately want an LCD with such a high contrast ratio would do well to give the LE40A786 a good look over; but the rest of us might want to wait until Samsung has worked out some of the quirks with its LED-based displays.

I agree with you fair comment

Audi

Last time i checked the users thread for this set nobody who had actaully bought one has ever seen any of the combing issues raised by the HDTV test, most likely thye had been sent a pre-production sample.

Samsung and Sony panels are the same.Only electronics and designs are competitors??!

of course all LED TV technology is going up.After 1 year these models would be very pour.not for OLED models or laser TV but for new more powerfull CPU
and other new features.

I read threads about these Samsung models and the gamers not thinking bad about the lag.

I think the future models wuof be slim like 8 series Samsung so for today I waiting for lower price .

My opinion : the Samsung lead more technologies and inovation and design
Sony ----the price for name of brand

I dont entirely agree with you.Yes the panels are from the same plant but all the electronics inside are from each manufacturer and not common.This can actually make big difference only from that.I also dont see any innovation that samsung has included that is sth new.In fact this year,sony has more innovations than samsung(200Hz,9mm lcd tv with EDGE LED).The design is more like a subjective matter

ok after reading these replys it seems nobody has offically voted, just commented, so ill be the 1st

SONY GETS MY VOTE!!

same panel blah blah, its the video processing that counts and sony blow samsung out of the water for this. PQ on the sony deficates all over the sammys, which is a shame as i wanted samsung to really push the mark up. and its not just PQ, its the build quality of a sony that stands it apart from lesser brands. i have no doubt that the sony will serve u very well until u decide to replace it, as opposed to the sammy dying on u.

In the past I would have always gone for the Sony, but the Samsung models are getting to good a value to not consider these days. I bought a new Samsung as a result not to long back and am still very pleased with the decision.

ok after reading these replys it seems nobody has offically voted, just commented, so ill be the 1st

SONY GETS MY VOTE!!

same panel blah blah, its the video processing that counts and sony blow samsung out of the water for this. PQ on the sony deficates all over the sammys, which is a shame as i wanted samsung to really push the mark up. and its not just PQ, its the build quality of a sony that stands it apart from lesser brands. i have no doubt that the sony will serve u very well until u decide to replace it, as opposed to the sammy dying on u.

yeah thats right lets get back to Voting

so i take it Samsung & Sony both are good makes but i am still not convince :confused:

oh yeah SONY W4500 got 5 ***** from WHAT Hi Fi :clap:

Last edited:
Just came from Currys & seen LE46A756R they were running Blu-ray movie
& I was amazed with the picture quality I LOVED IT.

Then I ask them if they got SONY W4500 & they said no so I couldn’t compare 2 TV’s together.
After that I went to comet & saw SONY & they were running normal channel so I could not see the full picture quality + the sales man was really pushy he want me to buy that TV today so I wasn’t comfortable in the shop .
Oh yeah the sales person in comet said Samsung sound quality is very poor, compare to Sony.
I mean he didn’t say not even 1 good thing about SAMSUNG & that’s surprise me.

So guys I am still here & confused :confused:

HELP:lease:

go to an other store again,this time to see the W4500 playing HD,at least you will have seen both

If i make my mind up do you guys think its good time to buy or wait till christmas when offers are on.

is it much diffrence in prices in 2 months time ?

prices always come down so you may spot a good deal

my vote goes for the sony,because of the better actual PQ.The only clear advantage of the samsung is the blacks because of the LED,but still W4500 has very deep blacks anyway

If i make my mind up do you guys think its good time to buy or wait till christmas when offers are on.

is it much diffrence in prices in 2 months time ?

Whilst prices are coming down all the time, after Christmas is going to be when the prices drop more significantly.

Before Christmas is usually a good time for retailers selling TV's as people want them for the seasonal programmes over the holiday (though in truth, these days there's not much to shout about!).

My vote (and indeed my money) goes to the Sony. I've not viewed them side by side but I thought the SD picture on the Sony was slightly better and differences in HD would probably only be perceptible by people with better eyesight than mine.

Having said that, I'd doubt I'd be unhappy with the Samsung.

I thought the SD picture on the Sony was slightly better and differences in HD would probably only be perceptible by people with better eyesight than mine.

Having said that, I'd doubt I'd be unhappy with the Samsung.

SD quality on Samsung is slightly better than Sony. On HD they should be similar. Blacks on both are generally similar too. One area where Sony wins, is reliability, build quality and lesser lags compared to Samsung on games.

SD quality on Samsung is slightly better than Sony.

Maybe it was the quality of the signal or the way it was set up in the different shops, but my experience suggested it was the Sony that had the edge for SD.

As I said, once set up at home, I doubt anyone would be unhappy with either set.

I vote Samsung.
Why ?
I am just so happy with my LE46A786.
I've never even seen a Sony W4500 so maybe I'm not qualified to vote !
I believe that zoned LED backlighting marks a new generation in tv technology and my view when purchasing this 2 weeks ago was that the higher prices expected for the LED models to be offered by other manufacturers allowed me to rule them out and make a fairly quick and what I felt was a safe decision.
The blacks are great and it is only since getting a TV that creates such a visual impact that I notice them so much.
I get a strange satisfaction from knowing that if there is a part of the screen that I know should be completely black, that it looks black and that technically it is black because the LED's will be set low/off for that area .... there is no bright fluorescent light trying to bust through the crystal screen.
I sit from approx 8 to 12 feet away mostly when watching SD and 6 to 8 for HD when I treat myself to a more cinematic experience. Most SD is surprisingly good, some SD maybe 10% is however bitty but I'm sure due to the signal itself and not the tv.
SD DVD'd upscaled by my Sony BDSP350 appears pretty close to HD.
As for any strange processing effects on Full HD or indeed any other def'n I just don't see a problem.
So I guess this is a very much a pro Samsung baclit LED post however I'm not completely happy giving the Sony second place as I havn't even seen it / given it a decent comparative test !
:hiya:

its because the review sample had clouding otherwise its 9/10 look at the 52W4500 review from the same site

can someone please help me on a new purchase.

ive got a 40 samsung LE40M86BD, how does this compare? to the sonyw4500?

my samsung is good, but it looks jaggy and not as good as id hoped, ive noticed this on games 360 and ps3 even in 1080p mode,

is the sony allot better, my budget is around 800, wheres the best price and trusted shop that takes meastro cards.
thanks for the help and advise

yeah its better.definitely better.not only this but all the sony-samsung sets at this price range are better

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom