Sony or Samsung 43" tv

Sjb1990

Novice Member
My current LG TV approx 5yrs old is away being fixed under warrenty again I intend to move this upstairs. So I'm not desperate or in need to upgrade just yet. But id prefer a better TV in my front room.

I'm looking at either Sony-KD43X89J (is this same as x85j? ) or Samsung QE43QN90A

My issues I have with my current LG is the Black's seem to white/grey and slightly whiter patches around the TV edges. When watching football the ball doesn't seem very clear. But most annoying the sound doesn't always seem a perfect synch on most tv/apps when I use my surround Sony Ht-s20r

Now I would like a bigger TV but I think anything more than 45"(if they make one) would be too much for my front room. My TV sits in a alcove approx 108cm. And I sit about 3meters away.

With the Sony surround would it work better with a Sony TV? As in being able to control the all the functions via the TV. Not just the volume? As I have the sub behind the TV and can be awkward to change some settings occasionally.

I think the Samsung is the better TV, but I'm tempted by the Sony due to the above and its slightly cheaper.

Will I actually notice much difference between my current LG 43uj670v

I tend to watch football, 4k films on Disney and netflix and occasionally games on the xbox one s.

Is there a better TV out there which I've overlooked?

Last edited:

Sjb1990

Novice Member
This may help seeing this 🤷🏻‍♂️
IMG-20210629-WA0002.jpeg

The 89J is not anywhere near as good as the 95J.

However, at a viewing distance of 3m a 43" TV is tiny but I understand the width restriction.

Having said that, assuming your seating position is pretty much opposite the fireplace, angling the TV slightly would be advisable and would also open up the 50" size (eg Samsung QE50Q80A or QE50QN90A at a tad over 111cm wide) - still small for that distance but much better.

The 90A will give good HDR performance from the streaming platforms, the 80A not so good but acceptable - I don't know how the Sony compares but the 95J doesn't seem to come in a 50" size so you'd be restricted to the X90 which is I believe, not quite as good an HDR performer as the Q80A

Last edited:

Pontecorvo

I also am in the market for a similar sized new TV and have up to now loved Sony and all its works. But we are having to abandon the six or seven year old KDL40xxx because it can't use iPlayer or All4 and also need more than one HDMI socket. The sales guy at John Lewis told me a couple of weeks ago that Sony still is in dispute with Channel 4 about something. He also said the new Sonys can't get iPlayer either. Is this correct? It would be a deal-breaker for me, and I am not interested in ingenious workarounds, e.g. plugging in the laptop or using screen-mirroring from my phone to the TV (works fine, but picture can be jerky and it's a drag to set up).

Pontecorvo

Non-Sony users might like to know that a year or two ago a message popped up on the Bravia saying "from now on no BBC iPlayer". It had always been a b****r to tune into -- always claiming lack of memory -- and then BBC and Sony seemed to give up on each other. Would love to know more about this story.

Dodgexander

You can't get decent TVs at 43" nowadays. 42" OLEDS are coming out this year so in your case it's probably worth waiting to get one of those if you can't fit something bigger.

Don't be fooled by reviews. Smaller sized TVs like the 43" QN9xA Samsung models are not the same TVs at smaller sizes to larger. They have cut down features, brightness and refresh rate.

Even at 50" they aren't as good as larger sizes. But if you could fit a 48" OLED it would be a nice upgrade.

Dodgexander

I also am in the market for a similar sized new TV and have up to now loved Sony and all its works. But we are having to abandon the six or seven year old KDL40xxx because it can't use iPlayer or All4 and also need more than one HDMI socket. The sales guy at John Lewis told me a couple of weeks ago that Sony still is in dispute with Channel 4 about something. He also said the new Sonys can't get iPlayer either. Is this correct? It would be a deal-breaker for me, and I am not interested in ingenious workarounds, e.g. plugging in the laptop or using screen-mirroring from my phone to the TV (works fine, but picture can be jerky and it's a drag to set up).
I don't understand. Just plug in a Roku or Firestick? No need to use internal apps on the TV.
Google TVs run Android so if they don't have official app support you can sideload an app anyway. All that means is you may miss out of some advance features...for example if you sideload bbc iPlayer it won't support HDR.

Sjb1990

Novice Member
The 89J is not anywhere near as good as the 95J.

However, at a viewing distance of 3m a 43" TV is tiny but I understand the width restriction.

Having said that, assuming your seating position is pretty much opposite the fireplace, angling the TV slightly would be advisable and would also open up the 50" size (eg Samsung QE50Q80A or QE50QN90A at a tad over 111cm wide) - still small for that distance but much better.

The 90A will give good HDR performance from the streaming platforms, the 80A not so good but acceptable - I don't know how the Sony compares but the 95J doesn't seem to come in a 50" size so you'd be restricted to the X90 which is I believe, not quite as good an HDR performer as the Q80A
I think 48" is the absolute most I could go, even with angling. But I don't think I could stretch/justify spending more for a 48". Ideally I'd like to try one at home is this possible?

I made a mistake with my initial post now corrected. What's the difference between x89 and x85(I think its just the stands)? I can see a clear difference to the x80 so I'd avoid that as viewing angles won't be a issu for me.

Interesting point about iplayer not working, but sideloading non apps is that as simple as you would on a android phone?

Pontecorvo

You can't get decent TVs at 43" nowadays. 42" OLEDS are coming out this year so in your case it's probably worth waiting to get one of those if you can't fit something bigger.

Don't be fooled by reviews. Smaller sized TVs like the 43" QN9xA Samsung models are not the same TVs at smaller sizes to larger. They have cut down features, brightness and refresh rate.

Even at 50" they aren't as good as larger sizes. But if you could fit a 48" OLED it would be a nice upgrade.
Thanks. Sideload-wise, the old KDL40605B (finally found the right model number) only has one HDMI socket. I need one for DVD, one for PVR and swapping them found is a bore.
Current screen size is the maximum size my partner will tolerate, I am told, but the news that bigger is literally better suits me fine and should help me win the argument for a bigger set! That's good to know.
On All4 and iPlayer issues, is it still the case that Sonys can't handle them?
I am so long out of the buying game, is there a short cut to which bit of this sight to educate myself on the need for OLED, 4K etc. and which models that are best? Is it a straight fight between Samsung and Sony? Thanks for all your help people.

Dodgexander

Ideally I'd like to try one at home is this possible?
Not really, you can rent TVs still from sites like hughes.co.uk or you can buy on the premise you can return the TV if you don't get along with it. Make sure its from a reputable retailer like John Lewis or Richer first though.
I made a mistake with my initial post now corrected. What's the difference between x89 and x85(I think its just the stands)? I can see a clear difference to the x80 so I'd avoid that as viewing angles won't be a issu for me.
There's next to no difference between those TVs'. They are the same model line. Sony sell the X89J models with software to use motion settings stronger. That's about it aside from aesthetics.
Interesting point about iplayer not working, but sideloading non apps is that as simple as you would on a android phone?
Easiest way is to download an app on the TV called 'send files to TV'. Then download the same app on your phone. Then you just download the apk file on your phone and use the app to send it to the TV. Then install on the TV.
TVs use different apps from phones, so you must make sure you are downloading one that works okay. BBC iPlayer mobile will be harder to navigate than the version made for google TV.
Thanks. Sideload-wise, the old KDL40605B (finally found the right model number) only has one HDMI socket. I need one for DVD, one for PVR and swapping them found is a bore.
These TVs will come with at least 3 HDMI ports. Some more expensive models have 4.
On All4 and iPlayer issues, is it still the case that Sonys can't handle them?
I haven't heard any issues with Sony, iPlayer or All4.
I am so long out of the buying game, is there a short cut to which bit of this sight to educate myself on the need for OLED, 4K etc. and which models that are best? Is it a straight fight between Samsung and Sony? Thanks for all your help people.
I have a guide made here: NEW: My best value TVs, 2021-2022 Edition

It's not worth spending less money than the starter HDR models in my guide, as no cheaper TVs are suited for modern day usage such as streaming netflix, prime etc. A good starter model would be the 50" Sony X90J.

Pontecorvo

Not really, you can rent TVs still from sites like hughes.co.uk or you can buy on the premise you can return the TV if you don't get along with it. Make sure its from a reputable retailer like John Lewis or Richer first though.

There's next to no difference between those TVs'. They are the same model line. Sony sell the X89J models with software to use motion settings stronger. That's about it aside from aesthetics.

Easiest way is to download an app on the TV called 'send files to TV'. Then download the same app on your phone. Then you just download the apk file on your phone and use the app to send it to the TV. Then install on the TV.
TVs use different apps from phones, so you must make sure you are downloading one that works okay. BBC iPlayer mobile will be harder to navigate than the version made for google TV.

These TVs will come with at least 3 HDMI ports. Some more expensive models have 4.

I haven't heard any issues with Sony, iPlayer or All4.

I have a guide made here: NEW: My best value TVs, 2021-2022 Edition

It's not worth spending less money than the starter HDR models in my guide, as no cheaper TVs are suited for modern day usage such as streaming netflix, prime etc. A good starter model would be the 50" Sony X90J.
Thanks for all that. I shall read and inwardly digest and if I learn anything worth sharing I'll post it here.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom