Sony or Pioneer

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Han, Jul 3, 2001.

1. Han

Han

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help me to decide which player I should go for? Picture quality is of utlmost importance. I have a Yamaha DSP-A1 AV amp.
    As a newcomer to the world of DVD, the more you gone through magazine reviews, the more confused you get. Reviews on Sony S735, S7700 and Pioneer dv737 seem to rate them all highly. Surely one player must stand out among the rest? £170 is the differnce between them. Some said the S7700 has the best all-round AV qualities, but I'm worry that it is already 2-years old. How does it fare against the new brother Sony S735 and the Pioneer DV-737? If progressive scan in the Pioneer DV-737 is that good as it claimed, will it make a different on my old multi-system 37" Grundig CRT tv? Or is there any player that is better that the above. The Tosiba sd-900e seems to be the best but its too expensive.
    Can anyone give me some advice on which model should I acquired?
    Any help.
    J Han

[ 03-07-2001: Message edited by: Han ]

2. TJSMANGINA

TJSMANGINA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a 626 an i have noticed that all the pioneer players seem to be a lot noisier than my mates sony an toshiba players.also when my tray ejects it sounds like a cheap pc tray like all my mates pioneers.i payed 500 at the time an it seems like a **** take to have such a noisy player for that price

3. Han

Han

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying.
    Have you audition the DV-737?
    If your player is making a lot of noise, you might want to bring it back to where you brought and see whether they can fixed.

Han

4. TJSMANGINA

TJSMANGINA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ITS OUT OF WARRANTY MATE AN TO TELL U THE TRUTH LIKE I SAID ALL MY MATES PIONEERS ARE THE SAME.IT DIDNT SOUND NOISY IN THE DEMO ROOM LOL BUT IN A BEDROOM AN COMPARED TO SONY ETC THEY ARE NOISY PLAYERS.AN IT DOES GET ON YOUR NERVES AT QUITE SCENE`S IN THE FILMS

5. TJSMANGINA

TJSMANGINA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry no i havent demoed the 737 but i reckon it is a very sweet player good reviews etc

6. soulbrother michael

soulbrother michael

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Han,I have a pioneer 737 and i asure you it is an exellent player.I only paid £580 for it.I had it modified to multi -region and it's R.C.E compatable.I suppose i will only see the benefit when i buy my projector,but for now i rate the pioneer better than the Sony models

7. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    HI Just to let you know I've had 3 sony's including the 7700.I found it a v.good dvd player with very fast access speed and extremely well made.The most impressive thing I found with it was the audio quality,I havn't heard another player to touch it musicaly.Sometimes I wish I still had it.
    Regards Simon

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 737. The DVD playback is excellent. But I also wanted good cd playback, which the 737 gives. I wouldn't describe 737 as noisy. I think it is fairly quiet, but not silent. I haven't compared it with other dvds for noise, just music.

9. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I also have the Pioneer 737 and playing on a 46" RPTV gives a stunning picture far better than a Sony 725. This player has so many picture adjustment you can fine tune it to suit any TV no matter how big it is. If it's picture quality your after this player for the price is very hard to beat, you won't be disapointed.
    Noise, what noise?
    Layer changes are slow though, the picture pauses for a second while it happenes.

10. TJSMANGINA

TJSMANGINA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh yes the layer changes are pi.ss poor aswell thanks badass :) cant wait to upgrade lol

11. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Note that the progressive scan (PS) will only be available for NTSC DVDs on the 737 and it makes only sense to use it if your display / projector has compatible inputs which I believe your current TV does not have.
    The connection for PS will use dedicated or switchable component connectors and the display must also be PS compatible.

That said the Pioneer DV-737 is an excellent machine and so is the Sony DVP-S7700. Though it's quite old and hence lacks some of the newer features I would still rate it high, but only if the price is right (e.g. SGD1160 in Singapore / Asian model without Scart).
    The 7700 is also CD-R compatible while the 735 is not.
    Didn't notice any noise from the 737 either when I auditioned it (was actually looking at the 636 but dealer wanted to make me spend more money), nice picture and good sound.

Anyhow, if you don't want to invest in a 737 I would consider Toshiba, their picture quality sets the reference.

12. Han

Han

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for responding. Fantastic responses.
    I eventually went to my local hi-fi dealer - Musical Image - to audition the players:- Pioneer DV-737; Arcam DV88 and Sony V9000ES (they do not have the Sony S7700).
    We tried movies (Gladiators, Matrix, Crouching Tigers) and audio disks (vocal and instrumental), output the video signals via composite signals to a Plasma screen instead(a more accurate test as I have a CRT TV at home - rather than component signals outlet - mind you the picture quality is even better in component -guess I need to upgrade my ageing tv in the near future).
    We first tried the Pioneer - very nice picture -sharp but a touch over bright in colours. Audio sound fine generally.

Next we tried the ARCAM DV88. Beautiful machine. ***Correction = my apology - it is designed and manufactured in Cambridge, United Kingdom. Picture quality is much better than Pioneer - the people in the Gladiators' colleuseum scene look so natural and alive! Sound quaity from the movie and audio disks are even better in terms of the overall soundstage and details. Unfortunately, the tiny buttons on the remote controller is very difficult to operate, especially in the dark (no backlit). Still it is a much better machine than the 737.

Finally we tried the Sony 9000ES player. First class look. Gosh it blew me over the top - the people in the movie 'Gladiators'are even more '3D' - the colours and fast moving scene are much much better in quality and smoother.We can even pick out the subtle metal abnging sound in the background as our gladiators walk up the stairs to meet their challenge. When we tried the audio, the player reveals so much more details - the soundstage is so full - breathtaking! Only the Meridan player (costing £2500) can outshine this Sony machine.
    Well that's the verdict. Sony is the overall winner, although it is in a different price band!
    I brought it eventually (code-free machine). Yes it also blew away my budget. If you truely love AV, get this machine.
    Best way to test the machine is to audition them yourself - your own ears and eyes are the best judge,as well as your wallet!

Good luck.
    All the best to all of you.
    Signing off.

J Han

[ 09-07-2001: Message edited by: Han ]

13. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Uh, that was a quick decision! :)

Glad you found what you were looking for and that you let us know how you decided.

Leaves me only to wish you lot's of fun with this machine (codefree it is I hope?).

14. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I could have told you the 9000es was good,that's what I replaced my 7700 with.You just didn't mention it initially.
    Nice machine.
    Regards Simon

15. Steve Reichert

Steve Reichert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Everyone,

I was a little alarmed and confused to read in this thread that "Han" had auditioned an Arcam DV88 that came in a carton marked
    "made in the PRC"

Errr.... it doesn't.

The Arcam DV88 is made in our factory here in Cambrideshire, England.

I'm guessing that Han must mistakenly seen a carton for the AVR100 AV receiver, which is the only model from the whole Arcam range which is not made here in Cambridge, and is indeed manufactured for us in the PRC.

Best regards,

Steve Reichert
    Arcam Brand Manager

16. Juzminator

Juzminator
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This whole thread really is weird :confused:

Of course the Sony 9000ES is gonna be "better" than the 737 or 735....it's twice the price fer Chrissakes! It's hardly "Apples with Apples is it?"

But is it really "twice" as good as the Pioneer or the Sony 735?.....hmmmnnn...I've got the 737, and, after sorting out a few probs (with my TV - not the player), I compared material on my mate's 9000ES. The result? I didn't think that the Sony was worth the substantial extra dosh by a looooong way.

Just my £0.02 worth ;)

17. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Me either. Don't get me wrong if only the best will do...but the difference? I've watched Gladiator a lot and I can't understand how much better the picture can get. Ok I've had the machine for months and had time to fine tuned all the picture setting and get the cables right but does it get much better?