1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony or Pioneer or...?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TobyJ, Oct 31, 2001.

1. TobyJ

TobyJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buying my first DVD player. Multi-region. Don't want to spend more than £450 or so. However, do I go for a £200-300 model, or is worth the extra dosh for a £400-450 effort?

Options I'm considering giving a test run to before buying are:

Pioneer 636 or 646A
    Pioneer 545
    Sony NS700/ 900
    Sony S735
    Toshiba SD210E

(yeah, I know, differing price brackets, but...)

I've got a couple of questions:

1. Is it worth springing for the extra on the 646A or the NS900? Is there an appreciable difference from the 545 or NS700 (I know that picture & sound may be better, I'll check when I have the try out, but is there anything else obvious I've missed)? Basically, what are you getting for the extra money?

2. The S735 is being discontinued. Is the NS700 a direct replacement? Most reviews focus on the SACD side of the NS700, which I am not interested in (likewise DVD-A) until the waters settle on the issue. The DVD video side is not stressed. Does the NS700 do the same job, or do I stick with the S735?

3. The multi-region upgrade - I know Techtronics for example say that not all upgrades are equal, but if you're considering one of the better known internet dealers (e.g. LE Concepts, Link online, Techtronics, Upgrade Heaven etc) is there any real difference in quality of multi-region upgrading?

Sorry to ramble on.

I know most of the above machines are owned by one or several of you guys, so I'd appreciate it if you could give me the benefit of your buying and using experience.

Cheers

TobyJ

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I upgraded to Pioneer 545 a couple of weeks ago and am very happy with it.

Toshiba at slightly less than £200 MR is considered excellent but you do not say what other equipment you have. If you do not have a separate sound system you are missing half of the fun and it would be difficult to justify spending more than Tosh money if you do not get the benefit of the 5.1 digital sound.

Without wishing to disparage Techtronics in any way they would say that "all multi region conversions are not the same". Mine was not a Techtronics mod and it works just fine.

I seem to remember from years ago that "Persil washed whiter" but no-one actually believed that either.

Regards

Ian

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +647
    I have had the same dilema for some years.

I wanted a quality player, upto £500.

however, I still see the current range of players as 'disposible', as SACD, DVD-A, DVD-RW could all become standard at a competative price within a few years.

So, I still wanted quality, but wanted to keep the price down.

In the end, I opted for the Pioneer 545 which I am VERY happy with.

There is really no point in spending the extra, just for the sake of it.. After all, the models like the 646 only offer DVD-A and a few other improvements.. If you do want DVD-A, it might be worth waiting for the Toshiba 510e too.

If you want to go down the budget route and save a few £s, you should also consider the 444.

Its around £200 and is almost the same as the 545, except it doesn't have 2xSCARTS, the analogue audio enhancements and the better remote.

But as a DVD player, its exactly the same...

Good luck

4. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Where did you guys get your Pioneer 545s from?

5. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    A mid priced player would be the Pioneer737, often over looked as it's been out for a while.(was £750)
    This can be had for about £400 or £450 fully region RCE modded.
    I actually got my multi-region player for £350 due to a input error on the shops computer!:D
    Even if i would have had to pay the £450, i would have still been very happy with it. The Multi region switching is fully automatic including R1 RCE discs.
    Although the progressive scan would be useful to some users, it is limited to NTSC. What makes this player stand out to me is the stunning picture, with fully saturated colours and high detail levels.
    The depth of video adjustments is truly amazing including chroma delay etc.
    It also has a Bitrate meter, just the thing to check them new Superbit DVDs!. I bought it as a temporary "Component out" DVD player for use with my new scaler. But since it can also be adapted to SDI output, it might be staying a little longer.

If the budget would stretch just a little further, the Sony NS900 looks fantastic for the £500ish price. I believe the multimods costs a little more than other Sonys. But you are getting alot of player for the money!. SACD being one bonus, plus the latest gen DVD playback. This is the player i was after this week at the Hi-Fi show in Manchester. But it does'nt come out until next week at the earliest.:(
    I needed a player for this tuesday(new PJ coming).
    Try to demo this one if you can before deciding!

6. TobyJ

TobyJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info so far, keep it coming.

Ian - good point about what other equipment I have, or rather don't at this stage. Currently have a 32" Widescreen Sony. I intend to buy a decent amp (prelim thoughts are Yamaha 620), and surround speaker system (built around stereo speakers for new hi fi separates, which I also don't yet have - serious cash flow management needed). So your point I think, and a bloody good one, is that if I am flashing the cash for amp & speakers, should I go the extra for the slightly pricier DVD players? That's a further part of my dilemma.

keep the ideas coming...

7. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in the same dilema as my brother has a Samsung 709 and it's a treat. I went for the Sony 735 in the end as music quality is more important to me than DVD quality (although it does both well). I know this player has to be modded to do multi region but I'm prepared to put up with that as it looks and sounds superb. In the end though I see it as a stop gap until a good SACD/DVD-A player comes out, probably in the £1000 range. Sometimes I wish I had saved a couple hundred and gone for a cheaper one but then I stick on a good CD and I'm sure I made the right choice. If DVD's are more important than music I would go for one of the better £200 jobs.

S

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im wondering about the ns-dvp900v (see my other thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18985)

Im thinking the £450 from www.avland.co.uk once they crack the multiregion, as they dont charge for the multiregion upgrade and when Ive seem comments about them theyve be very promising. You say youre not considering SACD and dvd-audio but I noted the majority of people in the know think SACD will come out on top, it picture quality is meant to be equal to the price tag and if SACD takes off with any luck I shoulnt have to upgrade either. Unless SACD goes 7.1, which could happen, also the sound of the sony is meant to be very good. The ns-dvp900v is also meant to be highly supperior to the 700, as its steeped up into the QS range so the build qualities better, hope this helps, David

9. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i bought a sony ns900 at the manchester show,it is superb
    picture and sound wise.it looks feels and performs like an es machine.;)

10. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'd avoid the ns900 until sony work out how to fix the av switching problems.
    if you are unlucky enough to own a tv that gets affected by it then it becomes almost unusable.

11. aevans

aevans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd forget the NS900, even though the spec sounds great and before buying mine I read good reviews. I bought mine 3 weeks ago and for the last two weeks it's been back at the shop while they try and sort out it's problems with Sony.

There's a software problem with them that causes the attached TV to switch AV sources intermittently, making it virtually impossible to watch. It only happens with some DVD disks (seems to depend on format/amount of black on source picture) and only when the player is set to output RGB over SCART.

See thread for more details: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25390