Sony or Philips ??

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by mmw109, Feb 10, 2009.

1. mmw109

mmw109

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Now I know this has been done to death, but I 'm finding it hard deciding between the following FOUR Tvs.

Sony 40W4500 (or 40Z4500) - I like Sony, well recommended, MotionFlow, DLNA £800-1300.
    Philips 37PFL9632D - Ambilight, my current Tv is philips, LED Backlight (I think - can anyone confirm).
    Toshiba 42ZV555D (or 46!) - REsolution+, very competitive pricing.
    Samsung A786 - LED Backlighting . But does it have the same reflective screen as the A656 (as there a lot of sunlight in my room)

The wife will be using this mainly for SD TV viewing (virgin mdia) but we also play a fair few console games (roll on RE5!) and have some blu-rays. Current TV is 37inch Philips Plasma NOT HD.

I would like to get a half decent TV but don't want to blow the bank in case I am trying to convince the wife to get a OLED or 3D TV or Laser ... in 18 months time. You can see where I'm leaning from the thread title...

Any commetns / opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Edit : I've Now read several disparaging threads about the 9632D so I don't think I would be going for that one... Are there any Ambilight TV's that are well recommended ?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  2. mmw109

mmw109

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Any comments on the Toshiba series ?

3. boxrick

boxrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Howcome you have decided on these 4? Any flexibility here?

If you have a philips plasma then go to a 1080p LCD your SD is going to look real ropey... for starters an SD plasma is probably amongst the best flat screens for normal tv.

Considered a HD Ready plasma or 1080p plasma? If its mainly SD usage then a 720p plasma is the best compromise... and will look better for console gaming since virtually *all* 360 and ps3 games are native 720p or lower.

Out of the above sets the Sony is probably the best of the lot... a few issues with backlight bleeding but overall a decent television good blacks and not "overbright" light many LCDs are.

However as you go up in size plasma really starts to come into its own...

Check out the Panasonic TH50PZ80 ( you suggest 46" in above whats another 4" gonna hurt? :p ) for £1000 or maybe a 42" HD ready TH42PX80.

Or at the moment i think costco have some panny TH46PZ85 plasmas for £800 ish ?

4. mmw109

mmw109

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I would be flexible about other options , e.g. I think I've already ruled out that Philips but wouldn't mind considering another Ambilight.

I have heard this argument about Plasmas before and should probably consider them. However my current plasma is like a radiator and is very heavy so I was thinking an LCD would probably use less power. In terms of the current TV being the best option for SD viewing, I certainly hope not as I can see each pixel, when I'm still a few feet away. 50 inch I think would be too big for our room, but maybe I'll read up on those other ones. and have to find some time to audition some of these on SD sources .

5. holiver

holiver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    The Pioneer I just bought is outstanding with SD and HD material. I think it is good value for money at £900, all things considered. However, the screen is reflective.

6. WillieCocker

WillieCocker
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Avoid the Philips 9632 series at all costs.It doesn't handle 1080p correctly.
    The newer Philips range are ok, i love the 9603/9703 series.

7. simonf7

simonf7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Me too, I have a 9603 and the way it deals with sd signals is great imo, plus I love having ambilight on there :thumbsup:

Mind you Philips do tend to throw in the odd extra "feature" with their firmware upgrades - mine currently turns itself back on after you turn it off if you're watching cbeebies in the afternoon :confused:

Si

8. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    Power consumption is a lie in a way when it comes to plasmas. As the screen gets bigger plasma becomes more and more efficient when it comes to power consumption, at 46/50" plasma will win (they win on price too, no matter what some people think). The problem is that plasmas are often quoted with high power consumptions, this quoted amount is only applicable if every single pixel is lit, which they never are! For example (although bear in mind this is an extreme case), the LG 32PG6000 has a quoted power consumption of 230Watts, compared to between 100 and 150 on most LCDs at that size, however, in tests which have been done some people recorded power consumption as low as 75Watts! That's lower than my old 21" CRT! So don't worry about that.

I'd say go for plasma personally, Panasonic or Pioneer are the best, Pioneers are expensive though, although they are the best, so I'd go for one of them, they're much better for movies and SD TV (and anything which requires natural colours). There's a lot of urban myths about plasmas, most of which aren't true, some of which used to be true but now don't apply (my personal favorite is that people say you need to go to re-fill it with phosphor at the petrol station, LIE!).

As said above though, moving from an SD plasma to 1080p LCD will cause a dramatic reduction in SD PQ

EDIT: For the record Phillips have the best image and panel technology (according to a lot of experts) so look at them, however, this technology hasn't been put to good use in all their sets, while some are absolute gems, some have several faults

9. Bobby J

Bobby J
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :hiya: Had exactly the same problem 10 weeks ago with the addition I was also considering Samsung. Finally opted for the Sony KDL40W4500 and have since added the Sony S 350 Blue Ray player and Humax Foxsat - HDR all of which come recommended by Which magazine and most of the internet review sites. I have now got what I think is a truly fine set up and one which I am going to be happy with for years to come.
    Not only my opinion but family and friends are amazed at the clarity of picture in SD and blown away by HD. Everyone will have different ideas as to what they consider is their ideal but I have what suits me and am now looking forward to developments within Freesat. Hope this helps and have fun:hiya:

10. mmw109

mmw109

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well still not much comment on the Toshiba's but all thiis pro Plasma sentiment means I will defnitely have to have a look at some in a shop. Are there any that have things like DLNA, as streaming my music straight to my hi-fi does appeal.

11. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    Toshiba's for me are very average, don't do much bad but don't provide any wow factor, they're decent budget sets but if you can get a better one then do

12. mmw109

mmw109

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Monarch, you're comment about Toshiba's seems to fit with the reviews, and as "resolution+" doesn't seem too highly rated, I might rule them out.

However, i did go into curry's today where they had a handful of good plasma's and some lcd's all on the same aerial feed, which I would assume is "SD". I can' t really say I thought the Plasmas were any better than the LCDs at all, or were any any worse than my plasma at home. The Samsung 5 series LCD was probably the worse of the lot, but that could have been down to the quality of the feed. They also had a 60 inch plasam with a Blu-Ray on and I wasn't that impressed.

As such I think I am swinging back to getting an LCD, but appreciate I need to spend some time in a proper shop where they would have a better set up.

13. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    Bear in mind as well that LCDs are suited much more to a shops environment, they have brighter screens and don't have much glare so in a shops bright lighting they often have a clearer picture and the advantages of plasma are often reduced. As soon as you get a plasma in an average living room with relatively dim lighting the colours etc... become much more natural and the picture will become crisper. Saying that though LCD tehnology has moved on a lot and some newer LCDs are very good and venture into the advantages of plasma, as plasmas are doing into LCD advantages as well. It's a tough choice, it always will be, but I still stand by the fact that plasmas are better for SD and movies, LCDs improve in HD but modern plasmas are stunning, it's all down to preference

14. mmw109

mmw109

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    This is turning a bit into LCD vs Plasma. I've seen several other threads that trumpet the advantages of pladma for SD. I spoke to a guy in John Lewis today who was also quite pro plasma. But looking at the TV's they had out (4 sony LCD (w4000 -> Z4500) and 2 panasonic plasma, I preferred the picture on the Z4500, although none of the 5 were handling detailed blacks well at all.

However, we will be watching most our SD through HDMI from a V+ box. Is this likely to make any difference?

Also it seems a shame to buy an expensive TV and not have it able to take full advantage of the increase of availablility of HD sources in the future. (I expect more games and channels to go HD over the next couple of years). Is the upscaling on these TV's really be that bad ?

15. Boostrail

Boostrail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    :clap:

If you look on the Virgin Media sub forum and elsewhere it is the general concensus that SD upscaled to 720p or 1080i via HDMI from a V+ box is by far the best SD solution available in the UK. OK the TV you chose will make a difference. So chose it on viewing angle, motion handling, black level, reputation, general looks and features such as swivel stand etc, and of course support and warranty. I chose a Panasonic 37" 1080p. 100Hz LCD and the SD on this from V+ is stunning but whatever you chose from the higher end brands is going to work brilliantly in SD from a V+ box.:smashin:

16. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    One of the reasons that plasmas often don't look good in shops is that LCDs thrive in bright light conditions, plasmas really step it up when they go into the home, also, you can never really tell based on the shops set ups of the TVs, some are set up to perfection (the ones they want to sell) whereas others are just stuck on a bog standard pre set.

For watching HD material LCDs become better, I still think that plasma is better for watching HD TV though because the colours are more realistic and blacks are better, they both hugely contribute to the overall quality of the picture. The top end Sonys are hte best LCDs you can buy though, if you go for LCD then they will get the closest to the plasmas in those senses, then again, the top end plasmas, which are the same price, also reach the advantages of LCDs just as much. I stand by the fact that plasmas are better for viewing regular TV and movies, LCDs become more attractive for extensive gaming (although I'd go for a Panny plasma over any LCD if I was a hardcore gamer), and obviously for smaller sets where plasma isn't available. Top end LCDs compared to plasmas are much more similar though, I'd rather have a plasma though, you need to see them set up correctly and in a realistic environment