Sony or Philips????

cerouax

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Thanks to the replies to my previous thread "choosing is hard to do" I've taken on board some advice, but I do need further help. I am torn between 2 choices (which have sub categories, bear with me;) )
I have decided to buy online (probably with Electrical Discount UK for a Sony or Robertsons online for a Philips)
My favourite options (currently) are
1. The Sony route...
28FX66 (open stand), later to buy one of the DAV range of DVD players. However, as the TV will become just for a picture, I have considered the 28DX40.
My major concern is the 100 Hz of the FX66, I have worse than poor terrestial signal and watch everything via Sky, is the 100Hz a problem with this? I am missing out on anything major if I choose a DX40?(aside from a scart connection, which should be rectified with the DAV)

2. The Philips 289617, and later a DVD player, using the tv's integrated sound. This tv is alterable to 50Hz, from what I gather, so is quite an attractive option in regard to my concerns above. But... it would be nice to be able to have the 5.1 dvd system for playing CD also, and I do begrudge paying out more for any technology that I won't use if I was to later buy a seperate sound system.

I have heard many good things for the Philips, and very little direct reference to the Sony FX66 or DX40. With all the digital artefact problems of Sony 100Hz scanning, is it worth the risk? Is the 50Hz of the DX40 good enough?
I'm sorry about all the questions, but any opinion or assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks

Personally, I would not shell out a load of money for a tv with only 2 scart sockets, like the DX40. Likewise for 50hz.

Can't really comment on Phillips, as I have little experience with these (I despise the Phillips 'brand' completely). I had a FX65 for a short while, before upgrading to the DX100. It seemed a pretty good tv, with an excellent pic - no digital artefacts or smearing. The new FX66 now has 2 out of 3 scarts RGB enabled and pic in pic. In my mind, a good buy for the money. DX40 looked to me like a very basic set, especially the OSD/menus. Seemed like it was based on a model from some years back, but that's just my opinion.

Don't buy a DAV - there not good. They might look nice, and the spec might look promising - they just don't cut the mustard! There was some debate (fairly heated) going on a while back in the DVD section of these forums. People who had these type of systems seemed happy with them, whilst other forum members were pointing out their shortcommings. To begin with, I sided with the DAV owners - untill I compared the DAVs with seperates.

I now how a DVP NS700 MRgn dvd, STR DE585 av receiver, SAVE 325 speaker package. There's no comparison! The total price for these was £550, not that much more than a multi region DAV.

"I am missing out on anything major if I choose a DX40?(aside from a scart connection, which should be rectified with the DAV)"

How will this be rectified with a DAV? Unless you were going to use the side mounted sockets (which is untidy) you'd be using one of your two scarts round the back. Either way, you won't be getting RGB from a dvd.

Thanks Simon,
I had made up my mind to get the DX40, but on looking again after your reply, I can see what you mean. The connectivity diagrams on the Sony site mean that a 2 input tv will only have the digibox going through RGB and the DVD running through with a regular SCART and S-Video link. (Although pricewise, I can get the DX40 and SLVSE720 VCR for around £820) The main reason I felt that this was the right choice was after all the problems people had with 100Hz, everybody who'd had a 50Hz Sony seemed quite happy with their sets (the DX20 and DX40). The DAV s500 suits me (£450 ish) as a one stop solution in one box that'll keep the missus happy (there are two things she will not go for, the LS range of Sony sets and extra kit- how do you justify an amplifier to your girlfriend?)
I have a small room to work with and was quite happy with the picture of 2 other 50Hz sets (aside from uncorrectable tilt and soft edges on a JVC). The main issue here now is the connectivity.

I am definitely going for the Sony option, but my JVC is going today, and I need to make a decision fast.
Can't the digibox be put through the Video in on the dvd and then dvd>rgb scart?
Has anyone had any problems with the FX66 with regards to artefacts/smearing? I am prepared to pay a little extra, but not for problems.
Any feedback would be appreciated,
Thanks.

If you get the DX40 you get the best DTV tuner there is!

Try BBC 1 on DTTV and you will see what we mean!

Cheers Martin,
Although I have done a complete U-turn here (and decided on the Philips 9617- I'm starting to scare myself now) I am still interested in anybody's comments. Will the digital tuner work in an area with a poor terrestial signal? I believe the feed would come from the regular aerial, and so I don't think its actually of any use to me, its just a fine looking 50Hz tv (and my missus hates the LS35.) Of course, the other problem is the one rgb scart...
I even phoned Robertsons today to check on stock availablity for the 9617, and they are out until September :( I am considering waiting or even going with HiSpek (only £15 or so more) but they appear to have a return to site policy unless extra warranty is taken out. The Pricerunner retailer reviews seem a little low on any other similar prices, and I'm a bit concerned about that.

I would still like to know if the FX66 has any problems with 100Hz scanning (I don't believe its possible to switch down to 50Hz on this model) as I don't know how long I can cope with the c**ppy 21" set after seeing life through a 28" flatscreen window. (JVC went back to Comet on Monday) :(

If you have a poor analogue picture you will get no digital picture unless you either move to another transmitter or find a problem with your airial set up. If it's a general problem in the area then you have little hope of DTV at the mo.

S

Cheers paiger, its the area, my neighbour does have some sort of booster on his aerial, but I only watch through Sky anymore so that doesn't bother me. I think the DX40 may well be out now, bring on the 9617! (Unless anyone has anything particularly good to say about the FX66?)

A happy 9617 owner here!

cerouax, seeing where you live, why don't you just give John Lewis in Cribbs Causeway a call. They'll match Robertson's Price and you'll get a five year warranty. (like me :D )

Call talking pages (0800) 600 900 and ask for John Lewis Department Store, Bristol. They'll give you the number and put you through for free! I did this countless times :D It'll be just as easy as buying from mail order co.'s and you'll have some peace of mind if something goes wrong.

Thanks again rct, good advice, I'll get on the case first thing. I am currently trying to decide between the 9617 and 9527, but if I get any joy with JL then the 9617 it'll be! If not then I will consider the 9527 from BEDirect or Electrical Discount (I doubt JL will match the online only stores)
Cheers :)

My analogue signal is well ghosty !

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom