Sony or Philips for Football ?

mansell

Established Member
Reaction score
So I’m going to buy a Philips 9527C or the Sony FQ80

I know about the known problem’s with these set’s but I really don’t want another Panny (i.e PH40) as I don’t like the fuzzy\dirty screen effect you get with the picture on these set’s , I just can’t look through this effect and find it very distracting .

Above all I need a set which will perform well on football (yes I know 50hz set’s are the best)

I’ve read several old threads and noted comment’s such as the players looked like they had fisherman’s jumpers on (re the Philips) , from what I read the Sony sounds good with football especially DRC50 mode

BUT

I need more input from current or passed owners .

What’s football like on the Philips in

Pixel + mode ?
Double lines ?
100hz ?

what’s football like on the Sony in

DRC100 ?
DRC50 ?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I've got the Sony FS76 but..

Football is unwatchable in DRC 100 but good on DRC 50 on the Sony. The settings have to be played around with a bit (high contrast but low sharpness), but it's well worth it.

Originally posted by Bogside
I've got the Sony FS76 but..

Football is unwatchable in DRC 100 but good on DRC 50 on the Sony. The settings have to be played around with a bit (high contrast but low sharpness), but it's well worth it.

Thanks for that bogside ,

what's bad about the picture on drc100 mode ?

Hmmm

I have the FQ80 and I find the following

DRC100 football no problem no smearing, players look how they should etc. I can watch football in this mode no problem that on SKY sport and sometime ITV or BBC

But if the ITV or BBC have a bad broadcast which ITV do sometime switch down to DRC 50 then you be sorted.

Philips 9607 C is what I currently own:-

Pixel plus no go usless, ball flickers and stutters

Double lines causes the screen to flicker and ghosting on the ball

100 Hz you may find acceptable but you will only be questioning yourself why did you pay for the other features if you cant use them.

All the above are on my set which I still maintain is faulty as error codes are in the service menu. I have viewed my model in the shops and others do not seem as bad. But always make sure that you can view the set under the same lighting conditions as what you will be watching in as this makes a bid difference. And always make sure you buy from a reputable dealer who understands if you buy something you are entitiled to be satisfied and not have to put up with inherent design defects and be told the set is within specification!

Originally posted by Rookies
Hmmm

DRC100 football no problem no smearing, players look how they should etc. I can watch football in this mode no problem that on SKY sport and sometime ITV or BBC

But if the ITV or BBC have a bad broadcast which ITV do sometime switch down to DRC 50 then you be sorted.

thanks Rookies , these two reply's just reinforce my feeling about that Sony would be the better bet

Come on you Philips owners , what's these like for football?

Originally posted by scooby do
Philips 9607 C is what I currently own:-

Pixel plus no go usless, ball flickers and stutters

Double lines causes the screen to flicker and ghosting on the ball

100 Hz you may find acceptable but you will only be questioning yourself why did you pay for the other features if you cant use them.

All the above are on my set which I still maintain is faulty as error codes are in the service menu. I have viewed my model in the shops and others do not seem as bad. But always make sure that you can view the set under the same lighting conditions as what you will be watching in as this makes a bid difference. And always make sure you buy from a reputable dealer who understands if you buy something you are entitiled to be satisfied and not have to put up with inherent design defects and be told the set is within specification!

ok thanks

:( :(

Hmmm

It might be because I have a bigger set and only sit about 6/7 feet away but on 100hz i notice smearing on the ball and on player shirt numbers (they become more or less unreadable). Also there is blurring on all images.

I have only had my set a week and haven't "messed about" with it properly yet (i've got the AVIA disc for testing) and I may have to try a full game in 100hz in order to give a fairer opinion.

Yeah size could make a different.

I only had my FQ80 for a week too, Engineer coming tmr to look at it, just a few things I am not happy with ie slope and bend when watching higher widescreen dvds and i notic the sky sport logo slope a bit. But I should think the engineer will go into the service menu and sort it.

We will see tmr

Originally posted by mansell
Come on you Philips owners , what's these like for football?

On my 9617. Not good with P+, always end up switching to either 100Hz or Double Lines. At the moment I tend to use 100Hz and it's OK. But watch out for the "dirty screen" problem with the 9617 (good old panny tube - getting mine replaced as we speak but maybe more of that later in the Philips P+ thread).

Originally posted by mrv
On my 9617. Not good with P+, always end up switching to either 100Hz or Double Lines. At the moment I tend to use 100Hz and it's OK. But watch out for the "dirty screen" problem with the 9617 (good old panny tube - getting mine replaced as we speak but maybe more of that later in the Philips P+ thread).

I had a feeling this model would suffer from the same problem as my Returning(tomorrow) PB50:(

Petty as I could do with the extra scart to connect my SR5200 to

anyway I presume the 9527C with the philips cyvertube suffers from no such problem's ?

MRV , do you get these black bars ?

The FQ80 got 4 scart with 2 being RGB

The FQ80 got 4 scart with 2 being RGB

yeah I know , that's one reason to go for the Sony , not sure about paying £1800 from JL in Bristol even with 5 years warranty
Comet online is about £1400 though with standard manufactures one year

£1445 or near that from John lewis Welwyn. Give them a call and see what there latest price is but last week it was around the 1445 mark and get your local John lewis to match it :)

Buy a Sony if you want to watch football I had the 9527 and found football unwatchable In all modes so I sent it back and got a refund.....I now have a Sony 32fx66 and football on this is fantastic!:smashin:

Originally posted by mansell
MRV , do you get these black bars ?

No black bars but enough muddy patches that I could collect them all together and make some real good black bars. I've just sent my second e-mail in two days to Philips moaning about the use of Panasonic tubes in the 9617 (in contradiction to their literature which claims the Blackline S is fitted). Got fobbed of with a stock answer from the first e-mail but they won't get rid of me that easily. At least I might have some fun with the e-mails.

MRV

Please keep me informed on how you get on, I also don't think the set should say it has a "real flat blackline s" tube as stated on the box. Certainly not real flat and I have black bars and a strange yellow tinge to the bottom of the screen almost like a tea stain that has not quite come out in the wash. This can be seen on some solid colours. I have even proved that it is not coming from any of my equipment as it is viewable if you disconnect the antenna and just have snow on the screen. The tube present in my 36PW9607 is not what should be in a tv in this price bracket. Philips quality control should have rejected this set, but on evidance of all the problems my set has I think Philips QC probably does not exist. Still never mind my set is performing to specification so I should be happy!

As has already been mentioned, it depends on the quality of the broadcast, especially with the FS76, which isnt very forgiving. Most of the time DRC100 mode is fine for me.

.. and a strange yellow tinge to the bottom of the screen almost like a tea stain that has not quite come out in the wash.

Yellow stains, magenta, cyan. Mines so arty it could be displayed at the Tate!!

Philips quality control should have rejected this set, but on evidance of all the problems my set has I think Philips QC probably does not exist.

and I've as good as told them just that... only I'm being polite with them at the moment

Still never mind my set is performing to specification so I should be happy!

Actually don't agree with that one no matter what Philips might claim. The spec says "Real Flat Blackline S". It ain't got one. It's therefore not to spec.

MRV

Yep totally agree M8. I have had nothing but trouble with mine and had 2 engineers visit my house to view the set. First one Endeva reckons all 100Hz sets are crap blah blah blah and started talking about "net curtain effect". Second was tech support manager from philips, if I had cut him open I would have found philips written through him. My retailer just stands firm and says 2 engineers have viewed the set it is working to Philips specification and I'm stuck with it. They don't seem to think I have any rights to be satisfied with the product I unfortunately bought. Please keep me informed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom