1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony or Panasonic

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by adams901, Oct 21, 2003.

1. adams901

adams901

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Tomorrow I will be taking the plunge and buying a DVD recorder.

I was all set to get the Sony RDRGX7 £619 but am now also considering PANASONIC DMRHS2EBS £599.

I was wondering what player provides the better sound/picture recording quality. I want to play the recordings on another DVD player and also want to be able to remove the adverts (although if it means taking a player with lesser quality I can forget about the advert feature).

So really need to know what I should get, I will be getting it from multiregionmagic.

cheers
    Adam

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Choosing between a HDD/DVDR combo and a standalone I would take the former everytime as it allows you so much more flexibility. The Sony GX7 is a better DVD PLAYER than the HS2 - no doubt about it but with regard to the core recording ability they are virtually identical.

With the HS2 you could make recordings on the HDD, edit and burn to the near universally compatible DVD-R. On the Sony you would need to record on DVD-RW in VR Mode (which has limited compatibility but allows you to edit adverts) or in Video mode (which has good compatibility but allows no editting).

Ultimately if you want to play editted recordings on another DVD player (unless it is a VRO capable player from Sony, Pioneer etc) and you don't go down the PC conversion route then the Panny is the only real choice.

3. adams901

adams901

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm not really worried about how it will play DVDs as my primary DVD player will be a sony DVP-S7700 (got it 3 years ago), its the recording quality and removal of adverts that im after :).

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Then the HS2 is a better option.

5. adams901

adams901

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My DMRHS2EBS arrived today and I am very impressed :), one thing I have noticed is my TV no longer auto changes the screen ratio, I have to manually change from 4:3 to widescreen...

I have my sky box plugged into the HS2 and the HS2 plugged into ext 1 on the TV, I set the TV Aspect on the HS2 menu to 16:9 and the (normal 4:3) TV for DVD-Ram and DVD-Video to letterbox but it doesn't seem to have done anything.

Also when I change my AV1 and AV2 settings to RGB I get sound by no picture, they are currently running on the Video setting.

Cheers
    Adam

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Ensure you have connected Sky to the HS2 using the TV Out socket on the Digibox going to AV2 on the HS2. Then ensure Sky is indeed set to RGB by going to Services/Setup/Picture Settings/Video Mode and selecting "RGB".

Then, on the HS2, goto Functions/Setup/Connection/"AV1/AV2 Settings" and ensure AV1 and AV2 are both set to RGB and that 'AV2 Connection' is set to "Normal".

7. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    No - it should be set to "normal" unless that doesn't work (or you are trying to use the features that are initiated by the Ext Link etc). Obviously if the 'normal' setting doesn't work cycle through the options.

9. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    There are many substandard sky boxes out there that never give a rgb output even when the option is selected and most people will never notice as the tv will autoswitch between rgb and normal.

However if you have the hs2 set to rgb in and out and you only record soundand a black screen this confirms the digibox is sending normal and not rgb.

Bear in mind if you touch the tv button on the sky remote, to say change the analogue channel or turn off the tv whilst recording is set up, the output changes anyway from rgb to normal and you will record the black screen.

I found this feature so annoying, loosing about 1 in 3 recordings when the kids used the remote without thinking, that I ended up permanently disabling this feature on the remote and only use the proper tv remote to work the tv. (You can still change the volume though with the sky remote, just not change tv channel or swiiitch it off.